All parent member reviews for Sunshine

Parent of a 4 and 10 year old Written byCensor-Bot January 8, 2011

Beautiful film suited for my little Einsteins

The film is only made for smart kids, and since mine are the smartest naturally I showed them this film and they loved it! They cheered when that no good space-suit hog got frozen out in space and cried when the man who committed suicide was shown, however I believe this film helped prepare them for real life topics such as suicide and religion being taken to an extreme.
Adult Written bynhodnicky August 24, 2010

a good sci-fi flick and popcorn muncher.

I personally felt that this movie was a good sci-fi flick. I gave this a five star rating and said that it was on for ages 13 and up. However, there are many factors to take into account when deciding weather your child is ready to see this if they are between the ages of 13 and 15. One of these factors would be the suicide of a crew member and the open display of his corpse. A good discussion to have with your children would be about the act of suicide itself if they are bothered by it. Another factor would be the appearance of the malevolent captain of the prior ship motivated by religious extremism. This will most likely be a conversation starter do to the fact of the characters frequent references to his "gods" desire to let humanity perish and the use of that as an excuse for murdering the crew. A few more factors would be the many corpses, blood, and intense scenes. If you have a child who at those younger ages can grasp the philosophical issues stated in the movie, then i highly recommend this move for the stated age group. Aside from the stated factors, this movie is a very enthralling and engaging sci-fi. It raises many very good discussion points and allows for a mind flexing thriller.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bywatching_my_kid... June 30, 2010

Very good sci-fi movie. Although R, it's more appropriate for a 13-yr-old than many "PG-13" movies.

My 13-year-old daughter wanted to watch this after I did. (I'm not sure if she wanted to watch it because she likes science fiction or because she wanted to tell her friends that she watched an R movie.) We watched it together, The scene I was concerned about was when the crew finds a crew member who has committed suicide. It's pretty horrifying, although my daughter seemed to be OK with it. It's appropriate for 12-13 plus, I think, and I'm conservative. A classic example of an R-rated movie that is far less offensive (and far more worthwhile!!) than many, many so-called "PG-13" movies.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009