Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Super 8

Teens save town in action-heavy sci-fi film with retro feel.

Adult Written bytville June 11, 2011

Fun Film. But plenty of bad language and a couple violent scenes.

Fun summer film that has good child role models. And the bad adults come around in the end. Great acting and story-line. Good movie making. Cons: Swearing is throughout the film; Holy S--t is used a lot by some of the main child characters. And a couple of too gross and violent scenes (like brief glimpse of a monster eating a severed leg...) My ten-year-old enjoyed it, but I think 11 or 12 is a better minimum age.

Adult Written byWill Reviews June 12, 2011

A Great Movie

There is violence, language, and drug reference, but this is still a great movie to take a mature 11 or 12 year old to.

Adult Written byClintD June 11, 2011

Super bomb

The use of the "F" word was a downer for us. My kids did not need to hear it. It ruined the whole movie for us.
Adult Written byVirtuous Gamer November 26, 2011

Immoral Film

This is definitely not for children. It is filled with language which is not for ANYONE to use. It also has obvious and profound drug references, and it has sensual references which are (in any case whatsoever) unnecessary. Do not see this film. I truthfully and utterly regret seeing it.

Adult Written bymasonb1 October 12, 2015

This is my favorite! I love it so much! Language a bit bad

I love this movie so much! It's my favorite movie directed by my favorite director j.j Abrams! Good for kids 12 and up. 1 fu** and a few other words. Swearing is a bit bad but everything else is good.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byamyo22 September 17, 2015

Hits most of possible nightmare material for kids

This is not for kids at all. Spoiler alert- don't read on if you do plan to watch but DO screen ahead of time if you plan to have kids watch (which I don't recommend... redundant, but worth repeating). Scary monster grabbing and eating people, alcoholic parent verbally abusing child, gore galore, another parent has died in a messy accident (not shown, thank goodness, but talked about) prior to start of movie, giant train wreck... really a lot of nightmare fuel here.

Adult Written bycoolkid007 September 4, 2013

not for kids under 13

It contains a redeemable plot in the end although therenis aton of language from kids including an f-word also it is very intense. The whole train accident scene was impossible especially with survivors there is also some drug content

Adult Written byMoviesAlright June 28, 2011

HIP HIP HORAY!

There is one person tht says some launguage and another kid says launguage tht my kid can NOT use!!! And very violent but overall I give it a 5 stars!

Parent Written byLadyRed June 5, 2013

Great movie, but NOT for young kids

I really wish there was a cut version of this. Loved the whole movie, but the profanity is too much for my 8 year old and I could do without the scene where the kids are offered drugs. Wish they had gone a more "Goonies" route in that respect. I wouldn't let any child under 11 see it, but my husband and I enjoyed it a lot!

Parent Written byMick O. September 26, 2017

Excellent for 12+

This is what the Goonies could have been. First off, it's a great movie, fun and entertaining with a little bit of a scare- but it's meant for young teens, I would say 12 and up. Second, it's a great movie for young boys because it deals with some complex emotions without sugar coating everything. It's mature but hardly as harsh as some parents here makes it out to be. I read the other reviews and wonder if we even saw the same movie. There's a great relationship between the father and the son, a young love interest and some themes about loss and forgiveness. It's got heart and it's done very well. It's based in the late 70's so there are some references to drugs but not in a glamorizing way and I think it's on screen for 30 seconds. I think if you believe your young teen is ready to see a movie that has some age-appropriate emotions and themes, then go for it. It's a rewarding film.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byPhoenix T. May 3, 2018

Excellent writing. Exhilarating plot. Funny.

Excellent writing. Exhilarating plot. Funny.

Parent Written bydonnablvd May 19, 2013

Reviews from my two girls.

From a 10-year-old - One of the Coolest Movies Ever!!!! This movie was awesome. The train wreck was cool but totally insane. This movie is one of the coolest movies I've ever seen. What bothered me most was the language. There was quite a bit of violence. To all who are going to see this movie, keep watching the movie as the ending credits go on and you'll see the movie the kids are making. For somebody who gets scared easily I'd say ages 12 and up. But, for somebody who doesn't get scared easily I'd say ages 10 and up. Love this movie! *********************************************************************************** From a 9-year-old - Super 8! I think Super 8 is a really good movie. I think it would be good for 9 year olds and up. There is some bad language and close ups on BLOOD. I liked most of it. Even though I prepared myself for most of the scares it still got me a lot. Over all I think this is a great movie. *********************************************************************************** Averaging their age choices, they recommend this movie for 10-year-olds.

Adult Written byInfntJest February 20, 2012

Classic Spielberg-style adventure

There are scary moments, but enjoyably tense and exciting, not terrifying - scarier than "ET," not as scary as "Jaws" or "Gremlins." The characters are realistic and appealing, and their strong friendships and bravery are the real focus. My ten-year-old's favorite movie of the year, and a delight for parents who grew up on Spielberg.

Adult Written byRarityfan October 18, 2018

I'm super!

Super good for a saturday night with the family and good home cinema. The bad thing is that this could had been one of the biggest things in the cinema this decade. Lots of explosions and scares. The consumerism is Rubicks Cube, of course old movies and old video formats and much more.

Adult Written byBigboi12 September 17, 2018
This is a great alien movie but isn’t suitable for everyone. The violence is still kept to a minimum but considering it’s a 12 it can be intense for some viewers. Language is okay with only 1-2 f-bombs and a lot of s-words so it isn’t too bad. It can be scary for young audiences so check before watching with children.
Adult Written byJ. Walt January 8, 2018

Suspense, Science fiction, Action, & a little Spooky

Tween Kids on a mission to discover what is behind the strange events that lead to a catastrophic train wreck which they unintentionally capture on their Super 8 camera. It's really quite the fun adventure and classic Spielberg! Ultimately, it's empowering and encourages compassion. It has some Language/Violence/ adult themes but nothing that a parent can't guide a well adjusted kid through.

Adult Written byKirsten W. December 12, 2017

More swearing than expected

We expected “some” swearing but the kids in the movie swore prolifically throughout the movie. It was disappointing and only detracted from the movie.

Adult Written byMasterCrafter 9001 September 24, 2016

Amazing

I highly recommend watching this! MY favourite movie ever! It doesn't matter if your 10 to 50 years old, you'll love it!

Parent Written byMonicaMom September 26, 2013

Good movie -- fun for most older tweens and up

There is some drug use, but the message that "drugs are bad!" is given. A bit scary (a big alien eating people, etc.) Kids sneak out in the middle of the night, drive without a license, etc. but overall are pretty good kids/role models.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byTsion March 11, 2013

Exciting, Intense Sci-Fi Movie

Super 8 is a really fun sci-fi movie. It tells the story of some kids who are amateur filmmakers; one night when filming a scene for their zombie movie at a train stop, a pick-up truck drives in front of an oncoming train and the train derails, causing a massive wreck and explosion. An unknown creature escapes from the train and causes havoc on the town. Soon the military becomes involved, but the kids are the only ones who know enough to understand what's happening and save the town. The movie's tone is very similar to that of Spielberg's family sci-fi flicks: E.T. and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, including emphasis on the emotion and nostalgia of the main characters over relentless alien action. This one is heavier on the violence though. It's definitely not a movie you could show your little kids, and it's rated PG-13 with good reason. Aside from some isolated profanity (including one "f" word) and comical, recreational marijuana use by a hippie pothead, violence is about the only issue in the movie. It's pretty heavy when it shows up, though. Many innocent people (including kids) are attacked by the unseen alien in several potentially frightening scenes. Their fate is unresolved until the end of the movie. The alien isn't evil, per say, but it does kill several humans, including some innocents. The innocent victims are tossed into the air, and presumably are killed upon impact with the ground (no blood or gore). The scenes where the alien kills soldier antagonists are more graphic however. Their bodies are shown in some blood. One man has his head bit apart by the alien (we see it from behind a pane of glass, with large blood splatter upon impact). One man is killed via lethal injection (we see him jerk and eventually die). Kids are consistently in peril over the course of the movie. Many adults, including military and police personnel, are antagonists. This is a superbly entertaining movie for kids and adults, but I'd watch it before letting younger pre-teens see it. It might be too intense.