Parent and Kid Reviews on

Surf's Up Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 27 kid reviews

Sort by:

Surfs Up? More like, thumbs up!

This movie was really good. I was a fan of the very summer-like feel to it and the humor was pretty good as well. Check it out!
1 person found this helpful.

Awesome penguin-filled remake of a true story about self-sacrifice and prioritization.

So yes, there is a character who has inappropriate intimacy with his trophies and often makes out with them ( but don't forget, they aren't living beings, so who care's?" A male and female penguin bathe under a waterfall (Don't forget--they weren't wearing any clothes to begin with, so who cares if they are naked together?) So that being said, this film is very enlightening, poignant, and funny, despite a thin story. If your kid watches this, you'll find that the message being taught about the things that really matter in life makes everything else super forgettable.

7/10

1 person found this helpful.

Great movie for kids and family!

I don’t know why I saw a parent say that this movie should be pg-13?! This is a KIDS movie! I first watched this movie when I was FOUR YEARS OLD! FOUR! While some scenes might be little bit “sexy,” for little kids, it’ll just fly right over their heads. Now for an 8-10 year old, it might make them a little uncomfortable, as they know more about that stuff than a 3-7 year old. But overall, I think this is a great movie!

1 person found this helpful.

It has some innuendos, but they fly right over kids heads

When I first watched the movie at like 5/6 years old, I absolutely loved it! I thought the animation was great, the music was really fitting to the scenes and I laughed all the way through. I have heard from other reviews that there were innuendos, they said “crap” and “pecker - faced”, but just remember that it literally says PG - some innuendos literally on the film cover. I do not recall any of the innuendos, because I was a toddler, and I also can’t remember it anyway. So overall, a great film for all ages! I’m 12 and I still really enjoy the film! Hope this review helped!
1 person found this helpful.

Hilarious but has some "edginess"

I've always loved this movie and it is very hilarious but it does most definitely have some elements that aren't suitable for all ages. Scenes such Geek/Big Z peeing on Cody's feet after getting stung by a sea urchin (nothing is necessarily shown), an image of an orca whale about to eat a penguin, a penguin surfing and getting covered by a wave and crashing into sharp, jagged rocks implying death, Reggie, an otter in the movie, is shown standing up out of a bath tub, his lower region pixelated implying censored genitals, partially cut off sentences implying the s word "sh--", Tank has an oddly sexual relationship with his trophies, giving them each female names and posing with them, even referring to one of them as a "dirty girl", there is some bullying that occurs, typically from the antagonist so it's implied that it is wrong, there is also a seemingly uncivil native tribe of penguins in deep in one of the islands and they attempted to cook and eat the chicken, however the situation was handled very humorously as the chicken just thought it was a hot tub and then after a bit the chicken decided to "go back on his adventure" and leave, much to the natives chagrin. There is also a scene where Lani invites Cody to see something fun, and Cody asks if he would need mints for it, implying he was talking about kissing, and after the event they bathe under a waterfall together (not necessarily sexually, but when Lani wanted to tell him something personal, that she was jealous of him, Cody said that they are already in the shower together so it wouldn't be too awkward.

We da best!

me and my girlfriend watched this together for a date. it was so good man. i felt things. i felt for cody. i felt for big z. i felt for chicken joe. i did NOT feel for tank evans. great movie to watch if you are a gay woman and looking for a nice evening with your girl.

1 person found this helpful.

Clever plot, but some stuff to look out for...

This movie is pretty good ; I like how they have “reporters” interviewing the main characters throughout the film. I honestly still like this movie, even at age 12. I first watched this movie when I was 8, with a few more views up until this point. I watched Surf’s Up last night and I realized that there was sexual content-in a movie aimed at 5 year olds?! The chicken puts two coconuts on his chest and and is called one character’s girlfriend(he is a boy). In another scene, Cody says, “We’re in the shower together; you can tell me anything.” I thought that was a bit much. The third problem scene is when Tank shows off his trophies to the reporters, giving each one an assigned name(Lisa, Teresa, etc.) and using a...foreign tone, if you know what I mean. Crap is used twice, but other than that it’s a great movie!

Pretty good ,overall

I think the movie is really good. The humor is well done, I like the animation animation style and the plot twist really made the movie unique during its time.