Kid reviews for Taken

Violent, disturbing rescue/revenge thriller isn't for kids.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySauceBroskie May 13, 2021

Very violent, some disturbing sexual themes.

PLEASE READ: This whole movie revolves around the hard and disturbing but true theme of human trafficking and prostitution. This is going on in the world right now and many don't realize it. If you are sensitive to things like this, I would recommend you to not watch this movie. For more details, continue to read this review. Thanks!

The Violent/Hard Elements:

This movie is revolved around girls who are being kidnapped, or "Taken" if you will, and being sold and/or forced into prostitution. The father of one of those girls (Liam Neeson) kills and injures many people in the process of getting his daughter back. He tortures a man via electrocution and ends up keeping the electricity on in the end and walking out of the room, leaving the man to become electrocuted to death. We hear the man screaming. The movie flashes into the place where the girls are being kept a few times which lets us see what is going on behind the scenes. Nothing that graphic is shown, but we see shirtless men walking into the "stalls" where the girls are. I'm pretty sure you can guess what they are going to do to them...I actually looked away for that part :/ All of the girls are heavily drugged throughout the whole movie which actually caused many to die. There are a few scenes with the girls in scantily clad outfits while they are being "sold." Without going into detail about all of the violence, many people are shot and there is a decent amount of blood. The majority of the movie is tense and can be hard for people under 14 to watch. If they are mature, then maybe 13, which is how old I was when I watched it. Some of the more benign elements include tension in exes' relationships which resulted in a divorce caused by marital issues. The language isn't terrible for an almost rated R movie. The language includes a**hole, s**t, d*ck g*ddamn, h*ll, and a**.

The Positive Elements:

The whole movie revolves around a father trying his hardest to recover his daughter who he loves dearly. A lot of the people who were involved in the trafficking died at the hands of the father, which I guess they got what they deserved. I don't know if you would count that as positive but I will put it here anyways.

SPOILERS AHEAD:
The main girl's (Liam Neeson's character's daughter) best friend who also got kidnapped is seen sprawled out on a bed, dead, presumably drugged to death. The main girl however lives.

Teen, 16 years old Written bylizzie3276 May 30, 2010

good for 13+ but no younger

I'm 14 and saw when I was 13. It's a very good movie and makes you recognize what goes on and you don't actually realize or think about much. Very good movie.

Teen, 13 years old Written bydreaagd October 30, 2020

Great lesson for kids and teens

This movie teaches people how dangerous the world actually is very dangerous and not the way some people think it is. If you or your child are sensitive on violence, human trafficking, and getting scared easily, then you should not watch this or wait until you are a bit older to watch it (or watch it with a group of people). In my opinion, children should start watching this when they are around 12 or 13, so they know the dangers in the world a bit earlier and become more cautious in the outside world. I watched this when I was 12 years old with my father and I didn't have any lasting effects on it. It's a great movie, and I'm sure many people will enjoy it!

Warnings: There is violence, off-screen sex (not clear though, only one scene that shows where they do it), and suspense.

Teen, 16 years old Written byOSCGJoseph July 24, 2021

Perfect Movie

Taken Is A really good Thriller to Watch I just rewatched it I even liked it, even more, I didn't really like the first half but now I do The action in this movie is Amazing Liam Neeson is one of the best Action Actors out there Taken is what started I say all those thrillers of Liam Nesson All-round I give Taken AN A

Teen, 17 years old Written byAGClyde July 10, 2021

Intriguing... A Bit Disturbing

This movie was pretty decent. The whole story was a father trying to save his daughter from prostitute-sellers. There was violence, because the father was a government worker taking down fiendish gangsters. Swearing is present, again there are criminals. Sexuality revolves around the human trafficking, advertising and other things. There was no specific message, but here's what I've learned: Never lie to your parents, never travel alone (especially if you are a minor), never trust strangers, and ALWAYS be cautious. Nevertheless, this movie wasn't bad.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycesuraal July 10, 2021

Taken is an Action Movie Masterpiece!

Although quite disturbing this is a solid action movie but it shouldn't have a PG-13 rating. Nevertheless people should know what the story is about. The violence was very well put together. I don't understand the so-called "expert reviewer's" perspective. Perhaps he or she doesn't know a good action move when they see one. One of my favorite action movies ever.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDoomReviews June 26, 2021

Teen, 13 years old Written bytomatoking June 21, 2021

Very good movie

Teen, 13 years old Written byTaylor17 April 24, 2021

Great movie

I watched this movie when I was 13. I think all teens need to watch it because it can be an eye opening experience because people do get taken, and awful things are done to them. It helped to push me out of the bubble I’ve been living in. It offers you a great way to talk to your child about sex trafficking/prostitution. And yes, I know that some of you might want to keep your kids in a bubble their entire lives, but this is the real world. This is what happens. And it’s just getting worse.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBob470 February 5, 2021

Only a 18 in the uk beacuse of one part

Taken for the most part is fairly tame for a film with a 18 age rating (in the UK) when compared to other films within the same genre (action-thriller) like for example casino royale (UK- 12) or upgrade (UK-15) it isn't clear what brings it up to the 18 certificate in terms of violence however it is the intensity of one scene that in my opinion bring it up to the 18 rating and that's the scene where liam Nesson's character tortures one of the bad guys when compared with the intensity of casino royale's torture scene it doesn't exactly make sense why the two have wholly different age ratings. Taken really is mild compared to other films within the same genre. The language is straight out of a 12 rated film. The sexual content is minimal despite the premise of the film. The only things that more than likely bring the films age rating up are the torture scene and the intensity of certain parts.

Teen, 14 years old Written byClorox bleach January 23, 2021

Sex trafficking

This movies theme is about the trafficking industry and it still happens today. This movie had great action and I recommend it. It’s a little sad to see the girls getting drugged and possibly raped.

Teen, 16 years old Written byloveJesus November 29, 2020

disturbing violence

Teen, 15 years old Written bykrumpets May 2, 2020

Excellent, but not for the younger audience

I thought that this show was beautiful. It had the everlasting message of a father's constant love for his daughter, and doing everything he could to make sure his daughter was safe and sound. However, this movie had a very dark and very real conflict, a lasting plot idea of kidnapping young ladies and drugging them for prostitution. This idea isn't the best to influence young girls or boys with, as these problems are honestly quite real and it shows the horrors of the outside world. This movie was also quite violent, but asides from these two concerns, overall it was a very wholesome and true movie. I enjoyed watching this.

Teen, 17 years old Written byJyjgfcjjgfdjyfdjydt April 18, 2020
Most people won’t agree but a saw this when I was 10. It’s a great movie! Don’t keep your kids away from things like this because it really dose happen

Kid, 12 years old January 2, 2020

action doesn't make up for plotholes

this movie was very predictable, yet so confusing.
a few racial stereotypes here and there (but ONLY against the evil europeans of course!) and plenty explosions, voila; 96 taken.
this movie lacked conversation, like why didnt they talk? oh because they were all dead because of daddy-paranoia.
i hated it so much, it was almost entertaining.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTheBCReviews April 13, 2019

16+ what?

Taken is a little more shocking than the average PG-13 action film due to its themes of human trafficking and the electric chair scene but there isn't any blood and it proves a good lesson in being careful out in the world.

Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2019

Liam Neeson's Heart Pounding Thriller

Bourne-like action packed tense drama is a high octane adventure about kidnapping and human trafficking.

Teen, 13 years old Written byIzaloma July 15, 2018

Very scary

This movie is too scary knowing that this human trafficking is acually happening in Europe and it’s sad

Teen, 17 years old Written byRanger12 April 14, 2018

A serious, truthful, solid, and entertaining action thriller

Don't keep you're kids away from this movie this stuff actually happens in the world and you should let you're teens watch. Anyway if you're in for a good, raw, and intense action movie, I definitely recommend watching this.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLou.iis December 19, 2017

Mature Themes

The violence in this film is a little speculated and there is no close up detail. The morals of the man attempting to rescue his daughter are questioned when he interrogates a target by electrocuting him and then leaves him to die, not to mention about fifty other laws he violates.
My overall view is that it’s a very good film with a great lesson as well as very enjoyable. Could be scary for understanding younger kids (11/12) but perfect for maturing teens!