All parent member reviews for Teen Beach Movie

Adult Written byRandomColoradan July 20, 2013

Good

The end message is to not put education before freedom and friendship, although I think she could have made new friends in school.Whether you agree or not I don't know. Although, in real life there would obviously be more conflict and argument from the aunt trying to get her to go to private school...but hey it's a kids movie. The ACTUAL movies of the era...Like "Just for the heck of it" are way more brutal, there's alot of real fight scenes, and they make teens look evil, which didn't really help the generation of the time with the whole anti-war movement. You can tell the movie wasn't really trying to put a message against the tide here: Follow your heart etc, be Liberal, blah blah, you know typical interests of teens.
Parent of a 1, 7, and 9 year old Written bylola459 August 6, 2013

Not for my pre-teens

This cheery musical is for teens only in my opinion. It is heavily focused on dating and romantic relationships. There is no kissing but there are romantically charged moments where I felt that a kiss would have been less harmful. The biker chicks are dressed in tops showing off their tummys (again, not for my young girls) and there's a song about "I know what girls/guys like", sung to convince each other that they know how to get the attention of the opposite sex. Again, maybe not bad for teens, but younger kids should stay away.
Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written bycjcorwin July 23, 2013

Fun, cute, and surfer songs too --

I thought Disney did a great job with this TV movie. It is fun, clean, and we totally enjoyed it. Hats off to the costumer, nice job on fun yet appropriate clothing. Hats off to casting, everyone down to earth pretty; meaning I found the cast to be adorable, but done in a way that was not sexist at all. (I truly appreciated that for my son and daughter! ) I didn't catch the consumerism Commen Sense pointed to, I thought it was a nicely done and a fun environment; sets were lively and colorful. This is a 10 for us!
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bymhclark July 22, 2013

Disappointed that education is the bad guy...

I was bothered by the message that you should value surfing over getting an education. They could have created a more meaningful choice for Mack, like "I don't want to go away so that I can stay here and study marine biology so I can be a dolphin trainer." They made education the bad guy. But, alas, with Disney TV programs, they are teaching the same message over and over that everyone is entitled to a dreamy life singing, dancing and fame (or surfing in this case). I think the message of gender stereotyping (the song "I Know What Boys Like") is somewhat offensive. Also, for most kids, making the jump from West Side Story to Wet Side Story and from Beach Party to Teen Beach Movie would be extremely difficult. I doubt any kids have seen (or would be allowed to watch) the old teen beach movies. Overall, this one is pretty harmless, but I think it is important to reiterate to BOTH boys and girls that gender doesn't dictate what you should do or like. The message is in there, but convoluted by the historical/cultural customs at the time (i.e. girls don't ask guys out, girls like boys who are in control). In the end, they do say girls can do anything boys can do, which was good. The songs are cute and catchy and my kids really liked it...but they were told they should like it by incessant Disney commercials and promos.
Parent Written byioindc August 13, 2013

Great movie, but a big plot fault that needs some explanation

This is a big hit in our family, as the kids (8 and 5) sing along and dance to the tunes. I was very nervous about the commercials -- in particular one shot of one girl clad in a fringe bikini shaking it up in front of the camera. So we recorded it on DVR, rather than watch it broadcast live. The truth is, it's ok. There is enough context and humor to frame that scene, not as something to be aspired to, but as an odd artifact of the past. I felt the movie was quite safe for my kids, 8 and even the 5-year old, more entranced by the dance and music than the story line. Still, I will nitpick. The school that Mac was supposed to go to is essentially a high school. That makes the cast quite young -- middle schoolers. I'd stand behind that same plot line, if Mac were supposed to choose between going to an ivy league college vs going to a local university to study -- say -- marine biology. But just starting high school? I see that as a plot mistake. What 13 year old makes such education decisions on the strength of a love of surfing and a boyfriend? And why is the conversation not involving her guardian -- presumably her grandfather? I also have a problem with the plot line seeming to promote putting fun (surfing) before any effort to improve oneself, even at a basic level (high school). There is not even a mention that Mac might still get a great education in Hawaii. It's really just stay and surf with my boyfriend vs go and get an education. And I get to make that decision when I'm all of 13 years old, before high school starts. So... we're having some fun with the songs, but we also talk about how these actors don;t really look or act like kids about to start high school -- more like college kids, and how you get to make these crazy plot lines in a movie.
Parent Written byMixyplixl January 9, 2014

Fun, catchy musical with great singing and a retro twist

A fun, silly romp with great dancing and singing - the film and its soundtrack are my child's new favorite. As an adult, I love the dash of kitschy nostalgia (along with Barry Boswell as Grandpa) - it's a hoot. With a kid who loves musicals, it is wonderful to have one that is squeaky clean. So many times musicals can be problematic (such as Grease, one of her favorites). I would agree with the people who said they resented that the main female character chose surfing and staying with her boyfriend over academics. That message is balanced out a bit by showing the character as a modern girl teaching her 1960's peer that she can be her own person.
Educator and Parent Written bySimca September 11, 2013

it was a cute story that entertained me to a degree

i remember when i was a kid watching west side story and Greese with my parents and thinking that i thought this was a great movie. watching this brought me right back to those days and for the most part it was a very entertaining movie. Now one might ask why an adult might watch this movie... well simply because any time i clicked through the TV channels and passed by the Disney channel that there was ALWAYS a commerical for this. (plus any time i was on you tube an ad for this was around as well....it was like i was being stalked XD ) it seemed entertaining to watch, and the synopsis seemed fun as well, so i decided to just give in look it up online and watch the darn thing. the beginning of it was a bit dull and i had to fast forward a bit so i could force myself from not 'x'ing out of the window... but when it finally got to the part where they got in the movie, thats when things started to get interesting. i love the way Brady was all into the dance numbers. he really seemed like he was having fun. though i do think that they could have done a better job at syncing some of the voices since it was quite obvious that they were lip singing.... the villians were a bit too stupid for my taste and really they could have had the movie go on without them. i mean a storm could have happened either way.. their was really no use for them to add the evil scientist thing into this at all.... there were a few plot holes that i caught here and there, but it didnt really bother me too much. as for the costumes.... sure there were a few of them that showed a bit too much skin on the girls, especially in the time frame that 'wet side story' took place in. but it was not something that id say that ruined the movie. in all, if i do come across it on Disney channel sometime in the future, i would definitely go ahead and watch it again. though i will say this.... i thought that Brady and Lela would make a cute couple i didnt think that his relationship with mack was really anything genuine... she didnt seem that into him... but that could have been poor acting as well though.
Parent Written byHELEN BRITT July 28, 2013

GREAT MOVIE

I LOVE THIS MOVIE! Its so groovy and makes me laugh, sing ,and dance! I think this movie has really great actors and singers! I've watched it 5 times!
Parent of a 10 and 11 year old Written byKarenK 3 July 1, 2015

Even my daughter's thought it was stupid. Disney should have stopped at one.

To kids were too unrealistic. Tanner's clothes and smooth shiny legs made us laugh.