Kid reviews for The Addams Family (1991)

Dark comedy with macabre humor for teens.

Kid, 12 years old October 14, 2019

Sometimes inappropriate but good

There are a few sexual refrences, such as when you can hear Gomez and Mortisha ‘Having some fun’ at the auction, or when Gomez was rescuing Mortisha and Gomez was talking about Red hot pokers and leather straps, and Mortisha said to him “Later.” They’re obvious very passionate about each other, and as said in the sequel to Wednesday, ‘Your parents seem to be very intimate with each other.”
The kids were raised in a very peculiar way. In one scene Wednesday try’s to electrocute Pugsly, with her mother not minding so much. In another scene, Wednesday goes after her brother with her knife. Mortisha takes it off her and replaces it with a much larger one, much to the joy of Wednesday.
Violence, the class show has a lot of fake blood, and there are some scenes with sword fighting and torture.
Gomez is sometimes shown smoking a cigar, saying that ‘He had smoked since he was 5, as his mother insisted.’ Alcohol is briefly mentioned and shown.
Hell and damn are the only bad words said to my memory (I just watched the movie for the 26th time) and used barely ever.
Personally, they could’ve toned down the sexual references. I only caught them because of how dirty minded my friends are. They will go over the heads of kids under 11 or 10. All in all, great movie. Anjelica Houston did an amazing job as Mortisha. 10/10.

Teen, 16 years old Written byDominicboo1 July 4, 2012

Fun and Not Too Inappropriate

The Addamses are a bit darker in the movie, but all in all mild for PG-13. Some mild language. Apparently sexual references. I didn't pick them up, but I have an innocent mind. Kids might be confused at how the Addamses are good guys but they do some mean-spirited things such as taking away a stop sign, leading to an unseen accident. As always Gomez smokes, but should be okay for most 10 year olds, and not too sensitve younger kids.The messages are that sometimes people seeming evil are really nicer than seemingly sweet and loving people, and you could have a large fortune but without friends or family it's pointless to have them.

Kid, 9 years old November 1, 2016

Funny, but quite sexy.

A lot of medieval weapons. Guns are fired and electric chairs are used. Mild violence though. Modarate sex, sex references. And strong sexual innuendo! Cigars and one scene of hard alcohol. (Modarate). Really good though. Kids shouldn't take notice of most of the innuendo.

Kid, 11 years old July 20, 2015

Strong Sexual Innuendo, but kids won't notice!

Strong sexual innuendo, revolving child molestation, sadomasichism, Uncle Fester and Mortisha having an orgasm in public and some more subtle references. A damn and a hell. Sword fighting, punching, the type of gross macabre humor the show is known for, no one is really injured, except 2 possible deaths of the bad guys. Messages about true family. This movie is definetly very sexual, but this will go over the heads of most viewers under teenage years. Gomez smokes cigars regularly and adults drink, not to exceed.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMadelineMini November 8, 2014

Crude humor kids don't understand 7+

The Adam's Family is absolutely a hilarious comedy and it's appropriate for 7+! There are a lot of jokes with innuendo, but kids don't understand them. This movie is actually more appropriate for younger kids because the crude humor just slips through their mind and older kids are more likely to understand/notice the jokes. This movie is not very scary either, it's really just hilarious. Good for 7+ or younger depending on your child's maturity level.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySalsander June 27, 2013

Fantastic Movie

Despite some crude humor, Addams Family is perfect for families. There are jokes thrown around that kids will understand and some dirty ones that will go over their heads. The only issue the movie had was the silly depictions of violence. Adults and even children are seen either brandishing or actually using weapons or devices of torture. Although it is all comical and nobody ever gets hurt. However not showing consequences for playing with these dangerous tools can lead some kids to believe it's ok to act this way. Otherwise there wasn't really anything else that bad. It's a fun movie that has a lot of memorable one liners.

Kid, 10 years old August 7, 2021

Really good

It is a really good movie, but it might be a little bit too dark for younger children 7 and under. I would recommend to watch.
Teen, 17 years old Written byShowman movie13 June 24, 2021

Boring and some disturbing contents

This movie was more or less scary. I mean, yeah, there is maybe one particular scary moment but this movie is not over-the-top with the scares at tht least! I felt like this movie is somewhat boring with a iffy plotine to it. No one really shows good role models; although the parents (main characters) do show they love their kids. The language in here is mild, but maybe watch out with the sexaul innuendo. although it can/will go over kid's heads. I felt like this movie is one worth skipping out. It wasn't as entertaining as I thought . . . more of a boring movie. There is one particular disturbing scene involving electric chair -- although most of the scene is off screen -- some midieval weapons in use and fake blood. In one scene the movie shows chopped off limbs but it is all fake. This movie does have some disturbing cotents and torture. Overall, it is a boring movie!

Kid, 7 years old June 5, 2021

It’s darker than you would suspect

There’s a lot of kissing not just on the lips but on the cheek hand and arm. Gomez and Marticia enjoy kissing. They use various weapons like swords knives, ( in fact they danced with like 7 knives) pugsley sits in a electric chair. A gun points at Gomez and there’s a hurricane basically inside. Marticia is tortured ate the beginning the Addams pours something on innocent people. Gomez has smoked sense he was 5. There’s graves and coffins for dead people there’s also a statue of naked people.

Kid, 10 years old April 26, 2021

I agree with Common Sense Media.

Apparently there are references to BDSM which I did not notice and I also did not notice a character having an orgasm. Although I did watch this when I was like eight so I might notice it now idk

Teen, 17 years old Written bySpider2003 February 10, 2021

The Addams Family 1991 movie review by Logan Strohl

The Addams Family 1991 is a really good adaptation of The Addams Family on the big screen great laughs story cast score and acting not the 1964 series but still very good adaptation of The Addams Family for movies not as good as Addams Family Values but still very good and enjoyable too.

Teen, 13 years old Written byOfer January 18, 2021

This movie is awesome

Just amazing, blood, violence but it's the fun.

Kid, 12 years old December 15, 2020

HILARIOUS!!!

This movie is SOOOOO funny I was dying of laughter the whole time! I am 12 and I watched it with my 10 years old brother and my mom. We all thought it was really good! Lots of weapons are shown and Wednesday and Pugsley actively try to kill each other as "play". There are kisses between Gomez and Morticia and sexual references are made. No one dies, but it is unsure if the bad guys die at the end, but none of the main characters die. There are some positive messages and role models because even though the Addams seem evil, they all love each other very much (Pugsley and Wednesday try to kill each other all the time though). But the parents love the kids a lot so I think that is good. But it's SOOOO funny and not too inappropriate so I definitely reccomend!

Teen, 13 years old Written byRatings4U October 31, 2020

Halloween comedy has a sporadic and uneven storyline.

While there were some funny parts and good messages about family, this dark comedy falls flat. The characters are interesting, but the story fails to provide a steady and interesting plot. While the end part has some cool twists and turns, the beginning of the film is boring and will not appeal to young kids. Overall, a disappointing movie with a few enjoyable moments.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRichGirl1245 October 16, 2020

This wasn't that funny. Bit dark

This wasn't as funny as it could have been. Bit dark. Other than that, nothing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDogcat October 4, 2020

Good

Not as good as Hocus Pocus but, still good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySaltieChips September 22, 2020

Teen, 16 years old Written by03Sheldonerdmov... September 9, 2019

Sequel's better. But it's really good.

I enjoy Addams Family. I love the darker comedy. There is no sex or swearing, but there is also no good messages or role models.
Teen, 17 years old Written byCrescentMoon888 June 11, 2019

A Must See Movie!!!

This is an amazing film all the family can watch time and time again it's a much loved classic and is a very entertaining watch for all ages.
Kid, 7 years old June 27, 2018

Just okay

It was hard to understand for a 7 year old.
But otherwise, it was okay.