All parent member reviews for The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland

Parent Written bymonkeymo June 18, 2011

Agh....too scary for my 3.5 year old.

I wish I had read the parents recommendations on this one rather than just commonsensemedia's review as my 3.5 year old was really upset by this movie. She was heartbroken when Elmo lost his blanket and started crying and then when Huxley appeared it all went downhill from there. He is quite a scary character for a young child and there are a fair number of scenes of peril and she was asking me to turn it off about half way through. We compromised and fast forwarded through the bits she didn't like - I really wanted her to get to the end of the movie though and see that Elmo did get his blanket back so that she wasn't worried about that afterwards. I also wanted her to see that the villian did get his comeuppance in the end although that wasn't really dealt with so well I didn't think. We did have a good chat afterwards about sharing and not sharing and not taking things from others without asking but all in all I wish I hadn't chosen it as it seemed to upset her far too much. More for older kids but then they might find the storyline a bit lame.
Parent of a 2, 5, and 7 year old Written byJim T. October 17, 2009

Emotionally Terrifying to Some Kids

I can't believe that I should have screened an Elmo movie for 5 and 7 year old girls, but I really wish I had. Good grief!! Both were terrified at the thought of a blanket/lovey being both damaged and then stolen. Sensitive kids are going to be very upset by this seemingly harmless movie. Other than that huge issue, it was well made.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bymfa September 26, 2009
Terrifying for any child who has a "lovey" - a month after she saw the first half of the movie (at which point she was crying so hard we had to turn it off), my daughter is still petrified that someone is going to take her favorite stuffed animal (her "lovey"). Although she has watched Sesame Street since she was about 2, she will no longer watch it because Oscar and the other grouches are so scary for her. I'm so mad at myself for not previewing this before I let her see it. If you have a sensitive child, do NOT let them see this.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byddaisydee76 December 28, 2010

Dancing blanket too scarey for my little one.

This was too scarey for my two year old. We only got through 5 minutes. The opening scene has Elmo dancing with and dancing blanket. This freaked out my daughter. She said it was too scarey.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byDbai November 10, 2010

Love it

Huxley instigated a conversation about how to treat other people, how to be nice, how to share (so he did his job ;-) Didnt really notice product placement till it was mentioned here and then I picked it out in movie, so not really a concern for us.
Adult Written bycnoel12 April 9, 2008
Parent Written byKatieC 6 November 9, 2015

Don't bother, not a good first movie - at all

This movie was all wrong. The plot is way too thick for a 3 year old. They can't follow the chatter or the story. There is a really weird, bad guy. Someone ends up in jail. It didn't make sense to my child and was hard to explain. Maybe for someone 5 or 6, but I definitely do not recommend as a first movie. Not for the average 3 year old.
Adult Written byNJ Dad October 14, 2015

Gloomy with an adult villian

I've seen this movie several times with different groups of kids. Many react with fright. Even Bert and Ernie have to jump in a few times to talk scared children down (they step in as narrators to do so). The villain is an adult male who likes to hoard things. A grownup stealing kids special things in a garbage filled wasteland!?!? This is NOT first movie material. Best for the kid who is either already or soon will be done with Elmo.
Adult Written byLowe's man May 18, 2015

not the best artistically, but good for kids

Preschoolers will love this movie, and it teaches things that they should be exposed to at that age, like sharing and cooperation. As for whether other Sesame Street fans will like it, it depends on when they initially watched. If they watched with Elmo, they'll like it. If they watched pre-Elmo like I did, they may or may not like it. I myself thought that it was watchable, yet I also think that there are other Sesame Street specials, both old school and new school, that are better than this.
Parent Written byjessicac4 February 21, 2015

Looking for a movie with an evil villain who steals childrens blankies?

Shame on you, Childrens Television Workshop! I purchased this movie on Amazon after a recommendation here on commonsense media. What a disaster. As the movie opens, we are shown Elmo bonding and dancing with his Blankey but in the first 15 minutes the Blankie has been torn, lost, sent down the trash can, and then stolen by a "evil villain." Yes, the characters in this movie referred to the villain as "evil." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. While this did not scare my 3 yo child like I thought it might, (she sat there, struck dumb with her eyes wide as pies) I had to turn it off. I don't think she had ever heard most of the words they were using, as the evil villan plotted to hurt Elmo and declare his Blankie as "MINE because I touched it." I can't believe I own this horrible movie now part of my video collection. I am very disappointed that anyone would think this was a good "starter movie" for young children. I will certainly read parent's reviews more closely, and not trust "common sense" to have much sense at all! Good for children who are three years old!? Seriously?
Parent Written bymama in md January 26, 2012

Good movie for almost 4 year old boy.

My almost 4 year old really enjoyed this movie. I was happy to find it after he picked up some not-so-nice language from the last Shrek movie (which is a great movie for older kids and adults, no doubt). Overall, the messages in grouchland are good, and the storyline is exciting enough to keep my son engaged. Nothing in the movie really scared him, but he did understand who the "bad guy" was and he empathized with Elmo's plight, even asking me to pause the movie so he could fetch his snuggy at one point. Best to keep important things close at hand.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bys-bear October 25, 2011

Not worth it.

My just 4 year old made me turn it off because she was too scared. I think Sesame missed the mark with this one. Very disappointing.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bymarceladns August 15, 2011

Fun and catchy, great teaching moment

I am NOT an Elmo fan, and I avoided him for as long as I could, but when my then 3 y/o daughter discovered him, I had to let go. This movie was actually not as annoying as the TV episodes. Mandy Patinkin is great as the mean Huxley, the music is catchy and the story is interesting enough even for adults. My kids don't have blankies so they weren't terrified but they did understand how mean is not wanting to share your toys. At the end, Elmo gets his blankie back so no harm is done.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe July 1, 2010
Another great sesame street movie! Elmo was always my favorite character and anytime I pull this one off the shelf, the younger kids are always excited! Elmo in Grouchland is a must for the little ones!
Parent of an infant, 5, and 7 year old Written byElie May 10, 2010

Not for itty-bitties, but Pre-K and Kinders might like it.

This terrified my child when he was 2, and his brother (then 4) was not enthusiastic.
Adult Written byAnnoyedteenguy April 18, 2010

Elmo and sesame street friends deliver in this kid friendly adventure

Great movie and nothing wrong at all, so kids dont have anything to worry about.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bycelinac January 25, 2010
A fun and moral tale. Entertains both first-time Seasame Street watchers and seasoned veterans.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

good

a very good movie i loved it when i was a toddler.but there are some bits of the movie that might be mildly scary for kids 3 and under.
Adult Written bysemifish April 9, 2008

Sesame Street always comes through!

I loved this movie, I don't know 1 child who does not love Elmo. It is a tiny bit scary only because Elmo goes into Grouchland and he is not familiar with his environment. The "Bad" guy is just very selfish, not evil like in lots of kids shows. It's a happy upbeat movie that parallels the sweetness Sesame Street delivers in all it's shows.
Adult Written bybaseto8 April 9, 2008

My Kids were Terrified.

My twin sons, almost 5 at the time of watching this movie, freaked out at Elmo's loss of his lovey. The meanies who took it were too terrifying for them. They wouldn't even watch it with me but preferred to run out of the room. Be careful with this movie if you have tender, kind, empathic children as this movie might not be right for your kids, either.