All parent member reviews for The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland

Parent Written bymonkeymo June 18, 2011

Agh....too scary for my 3.5 year old.

I wish I had read the parents recommendations on this one rather than just commonsensemedia's review as my 3.5 year old was really upset by this movie. She was heartbroken when Elmo lost his blanket and started crying and then when Huxley appeared it all went downhill from there. He is quite a scary character for a young child and there are a fair number of scenes of peril and she was asking me to turn it off about half way through. We compromised and fast forwarded through the bits she didn't like - I really wanted her to get to the end of the movie though and see that Elmo did get his blanket back so that she wasn't worried about that afterwards. I also wanted her to see that the villian did get his comeuppance in the end although that wasn't really dealt with so well I didn't think. We did have a good chat afterwards about sharing and not sharing and not taking things from others without asking but all in all I wish I hadn't chosen it as it seemed to upset her far too much. More for older kids but then they might find the storyline a bit lame.
Parent of a 2, 5, and 7 year old Written byJim T. October 17, 2009

Emotionally Terrifying to Some Kids

I can't believe that I should have screened an Elmo movie for 5 and 7 year old girls, but I really wish I had. Good grief!! Both were terrified at the thought of a blanket/lovey being both damaged and then stolen. Sensitive kids are going to be very upset by this seemingly harmless movie. Other than that huge issue, it was well made.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bymfa September 26, 2009

Terrifying for any child who has a "lovey" - a month after she saw the first half of the movie (at which point she was crying so hard we had to turn it off), my daughter is still petrified that someone is going to take her favorite stuffed animal (her "lovey"). Although she has watched Sesame Street since she was about 2, she will no longer watch it because Oscar and the other grouches are so scary for her. I'm so mad at myself for not previewing this before I let her see it. If you have a sensitive child, do NOT let them see this.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byddaisydee76 December 28, 2010

Dancing blanket too scarey for my little one.

This was too scarey for my two year old. We only got through 5 minutes. The opening scene has Elmo dancing with and dancing blanket. This freaked out my daughter. She said it was too scarey.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byDbai November 10, 2010

Love it

Huxley instigated a conversation about how to treat other people, how to be nice, how to share (so he did his job ;-) Didnt really notice product placement till it was mentioned here and then I picked it out in movie, so not really a concern for us.
Adult Written byLowe's man May 18, 2015

not the best artistically, but good for kids

Preschoolers will love this movie, and it teaches things that they should be exposed to at that age, like sharing and cooperation. As for whether other Sesame Street fans will like it, it depends on when they initially watched. If they watched with Elmo, they'll like it. If they watched pre-Elmo like I did, they may or may not like it. I myself thought that it was watchable, yet I also think that there are other Sesame Street specials, both old school and new school, that are better than this.
Parent Written bymama in md January 26, 2012

Good movie for almost 4 year old boy.

My almost 4 year old really enjoyed this movie. I was happy to find it after he picked up some not-so-nice language from the last Shrek movie (which is a great movie for older kids and adults, no doubt). Overall, the messages in grouchland are good, and the storyline is exciting enough to keep my son engaged. Nothing in the movie really scared him, but he did understand who the "bad guy" was and he empathized with Elmo's plight, even asking me to pause the movie so he could fetch his snuggy at one point. Best to keep important things close at hand.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bys-bear October 25, 2011

Not worth it.

My just 4 year old made me turn it off because she was too scared. I think Sesame missed the mark with this one. Very disappointing.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bymarceladns August 15, 2011

Fun and catchy, great teaching moment

I am NOT an Elmo fan, and I avoided him for as long as I could, but when my then 3 y/o daughter discovered him, I had to let go. This movie was actually not as annoying as the TV episodes. Mandy Patinkin is great as the mean Huxley, the music is catchy and the story is interesting enough even for adults. My kids don't have blankies so they weren't terrified but they did understand how mean is not wanting to share your toys. At the end, Elmo gets his blankie back so no harm is done.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe July 1, 2010

Another great sesame street movie! Elmo was always my favorite character and anytime I pull this one off the shelf, the younger kids are always excited! Elmo in Grouchland is a must for the little ones!
Parent of an infant, 5, and 7 year old Written byElie May 10, 2010

Not for itty-bitties, but Pre-K and Kinders might like it.

This terrified my child when he was 2, and his brother (then 4) was not enthusiastic.
Adult Written byAnnoyedteenguy April 18, 2010

Elmo and sesame street friends deliver in this kid friendly adventure

Great movie and nothing wrong at all, so kids dont have anything to worry about.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bycelinac January 25, 2010

A fun and moral tale. Entertains both first-time Seasame Street watchers and seasoned veterans.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 26, 2009

good

a very good movie i loved it when i was a toddler.but there are some bits of the movie that might be mildly scary for kids 3 and under.
Adult Written bysemifish April 9, 2008

Sesame Street always comes through!

I loved this movie, I don't know 1 child who does not love Elmo. It is a tiny bit scary only because Elmo goes into Grouchland and he is not familiar with his environment. The "Bad" guy is just very selfish, not evil like in lots of kids shows. It's a happy upbeat movie that parallels the sweetness Sesame Street delivers in all it's shows.
Adult Written bybaseto8 April 9, 2008

My Kids were Terrified.

My twin sons, almost 5 at the time of watching this movie, freaked out at Elmo's loss of his lovey. The meanies who took it were too terrifying for them. They wouldn't even watch it with me but preferred to run out of the room. Be careful with this movie if you have tender, kind, empathic children as this movie might not be right for your kids, either.
Adult Written bycnoel12 April 9, 2008
Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written bycritic4kids April 9, 2008
Parent of a 5 year old Written bysquinkymom April 9, 2008

Sensitive Kids Might Get a Little Freaked, But...

My daughter is 4.5 years old and was somewhat anxious during some parts of the movie, but just at that time, Ernie and Bert appear, stop the movie, and provide much needed levity, and Bert expresses the anxieties that the child is experiencing about the plot. If you have very sensitive kids, (like mine who was traumatized by the first 15 minutes of the Little Mermaid and never went back) there may be some tough parts, but the producers did seem to know where they would be and that helped.