All parent member reviews for The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byMerryJ July 19, 2009

This movie is based very loosely on two famous works of literature. The first is based on "The Wind in the Willows". The movie doesn't live up to the book, but my 4 year old enjoyed it. I think most of the plot went over his head. Be aware that Toad is gripped by "mania", put on trail, sent to jail, escapes from jail and is up to mischief. We suggested we turn it off before the second story, because we thought it would be too scary. It is based on "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and we knew to expect a headless horseman. We tried it, and he didn't find it too scary, but I think it was because he didn't really understand what was going on. He kept giggling at the funny faces Ichibod was making while he was scared. The "romance" in this part was not particularly nice, and I hope some of the messages went over my son's head. The female character is a flirt; Ichibod and his rival compete for her attention, and are unkind to each other; Ichibod dreams of marrying her for her beauty and her money. We didn't really enjoy the movie.
Parent Written bymyab October 27, 2010

Watch It Every Year

For some much younger viewers it might seem a little too violent, though it's all very cartoonish. However, since it's Halloween fair, I'd say use your judgment for what your child can tolerate. Liked the message about friendship, and about being careful in making life decisions (mainly in the Mr. Toad movie). This a wonderful classic combo to start your kid out with when he/she wants something a little scary.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe September 14, 2010

These are two classics which are sadly not seen enough these days! I owned this movie when I was younger and we lost it when we moved across the country, but I still remember how much I loved this movie! Great for halloween and any other time of the year.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byken_y July 9, 2009

Great family entertainment.

Classic Disney treatment of classics. Mr. Toad is very funny. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is wonderfully told. Sure there are old fashioned characters and relationships. But these are classic stories.