Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Uneven Spider-Man sequel mixes action, romance.

Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byorchidflame May 2, 2014

Action packed fun for everyone!

Adult Written byAMSL May 9, 2014

Tears and Fears

With some intense scenes of anger and violence in this film, it caused anxiety and nightmares in some of my students in 1st - 4th grade. Every child is different, but with no added value in other categories I'd leave this one to teens.

Adult Written byJEDI micah May 3, 2014

JUST MORE AMAZEMENT!!

While it may not be as good as the second Spider-Man movie with Tobey Maguire, it is still an amazing movie that will surely thrill Spidey fans! Make room for not just one, but THREE super villains! And you'll also see the truth behind Peter Parker's parents and why they left him with Uncle Ben! And there's also more romance between Peter & Gwen, and also compassion between him and his aunt (it could make you cry). If your Spidey senses are tingling, then trust your instincts, cause this movie is really awesome!

Parent Written byValentinaSG August 23, 2014

My kid loved it

Adult Written byMovie Review Maven June 1, 2014

For Spidey fans

Movie Title: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 PG-13, 2 hours 22 minutes Grade: B In a Nutshell: This new installment of the Spider-Man franchise successfully makes you feel like you’re reading the panels of a comic book, but also has the effect of a choppy story that is common within that genre. The flick is full of acrobatic stunts, impressive car crashes, and electrifying villains that young kids will get a kick out of. I saw a few little ones walk into the theater wearing their Spidey costumes. Adorable. Most teens and parents who still have the Toby Maguire DVD sitting in their cabinet at home are asking “Why are they doing a remake so soon?” Uplifting theme: Peter Parker’s girlfriend, Gwen, gives the Valedictorian speech at her high school graduation that pretty much sums up the theme for the movie: “It’s easy to feel hopeful on a beautiful day like today, but there will be dark days ahead of us too. There will be days when you feel all alone and that’s when hope is needed most. No matter how bad it gets or how lost you feel, you must promise me that you will hold on to hope. Keep it alive. We have to be greater than what we suffer. My wish for you is to become hope. People need that. And even if we fail, what better way is there to live?” Things I liked: The beginning of the movie sheds more light on Peter Parker’s parents and their unique mission which caused them to leave their young son. The slow-motion sequences were really great. Where else can we see Jaime Foxx with bad comb-over? The audience I sat with thought it was hilarious when Spider-Man sticks to a vehicle while it drives down the road. He says to Gwen on the phone “I got a little stuck in traffic.” I pretty much love Emma Stone in anything. This is a much softer version of her sass. This installment in Spider-Man is stuffed with villains. Some say too many. I rather liked the fact that the formula wasn’t “fight bad guy-win-happy ending-the end. (No spoiler alert) I loved the story line and ending with the brave little boy. Things I didn’t like: While Garfield and Stone have some chemistry, there’s no magical kiss like the one Maguire/Dunst created in their famous upside-down scene. It’s hard for Spider-Man to be really amazing when we’ve seen so many truly awesome CGI movies lately….with and without Superheroes. Is it just me or does it seem like all of the villains in movies lately aren’t really bad, but just misunderstood? Before the movie started at the Regal Theater I attended, a bizarre announcement played with Emma Stone and a drugged out looking Andrew Garfield with a fake British accent. They were encouraging patrons to upgrade to a particular ticket after the movie with access to additional content. Spiderman’s clever banter with bad guys just isn’t very clever at all. Some of Spiderman’s webs magically hook onto thin air. What the? The story line turns Peter Parker’s girlfriend into a successful Valedictorian with a loving family, much different from the Kirsten Dunst's wounded character. I love Paul Giamatti, so I thought he was seriously underutilized in this film. Peter and Aunt May (Sally Field) fight in almost every scene they're in. Why do evil scientists always speak with a German accent and laugh after every sentence? Inspiring lines: “What makes life valuable is that it doesn’t last forever. What makes it precious is that it ends.” - Gwen’s graduation speech “Time is luck, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Make yours count for something. Fight for what matters to you, no matter what. Because even if we fall short, what better way is there to live?” – Gwen’s graduation speech “You’re not a nobody. You’re somebody.” - Spiderman “The world cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” - Albert Einstein, as quoted by Norman Osborn Funny lines: Max tells Spider-Man “I will be like a god to them.” Spiderman quips “A god named Sparkles?” Things to look for: I love it when Stan Lee makes his cameo performance in Marvel movies. Look closely in the high school graduation scene. Stan sees Peter Parker with his Spider-Man mask on and says “Hey, I think I know that guy!” Some of the high school students decorate their graduation caps with little toys or words. My oldest son just graduated from college last weekend (proud mama!) and I didn’t see any of the students decorate their caps, but I thought it was a cute idea. Peter Parker’s ring tone on his cell phone. Peter Parker’s cute “Thrasher” t-shirt. Aidy Bryant from Saturday Night Live is wearing a Statue of Liberty costume and says to Spider-Man “Nice costume!” Don’t bother looking for a fun sneak peek at anything after the credits roll. When the movie is over, it’s actually over. Tips for parents: Kids can learn about battery power and electric charges… The profanity is lean with only a few “mild” bad words, but there is, of course, a lot of violence. Young children with dreams of becoming the next Superhero may need to be counseled “Do not try this at home.”

Adult Written byDuncanDerund May 9, 2014

Spider-Man Age

This movie is a great science fiction action comedy romance movie for teens. There are some Uses of d*mn. However the violence can be intense at times like a scene where Spider-Man fights Electro and the sound effects and action may be too intense. The only sex in this movie is some kisses and passionate love. There is so far as I know no consumerism. I think this is a great superhero film for ages 13+. There are lots of powers which include intense violence like one scenes where there are eels biting one of the characters that may be too intense. There are lots of fighting scenes and there is some sad scenes that either they can't understand and they are too sad. I think this is a great movie for teenagers.
Parent Written bygamerdad711 October 22, 2015

good movie for tweens teens and adults

I love this movie the violence is not too much for a 10 year old and the amount of swearing is very low in the whole movie all the bad words you would hear is one p*ss and one d*mn and two uses of h*ll. Spider man is a great roll model who helps people the sexual content is low too nothing more than a few kisses and that's it. So go ahead and let your kid watch this.

Parent Written byLuciano Coronel April 23, 2016

:D

:D

Adult Written byWill loves movies May 10, 2014

Doesnt deserve the hate.

I saw this movie today and I loved it. Though it was not as good as The Winter Soldier, I thought it was possibly the best Spider-man to date. I don't quite see why the critics are hating on this movie right now as it is a very entertaining film. Andrew Garfield is back and is perfect as Peter Parker/ Spider-man. You can tell that Garfield is having fun playing the masked webhead. Emma Stone is brilliant as Gwen Stacy once again. Overall, the cast is pretty good all around. This movie does have great messages about not losing hope. Peter Parker is still a great model who does whatever he can to protect those in trouble. There is some violence in this movie but mostly bloodless. Stop reading now if you do not want to be spoiled. SPOILER 1 the opening scene of the movie shows how Peter's parents were killed. The scene takes place in an airplane that ultimately crashes. Before that happens, Peter's mom is shot and killed and Peter's dad struggles with the killer before the killer is sucked out of the airplane and the dad dies. SPOILER 2 Gwen dies near the end of this movie that is quite emotional. There is some blood on her face but the way the scene plays out is quite intense. END OF SPOILERS. Not much in the sexual content other than Peter and Gwen kissing several times. Overall, this movie was truly amazing. and I can't wait for the next movie.

Written byAnonymous August 29, 2014

Parent of a 2, 3, and 5 year old Written byHeather.hm June 5, 2014

Parent of a 9 and 13 year old Written byjasminesmom May 16, 2014

Suprisingly good

I watched it with my 13yr old daughter and her "boy" friend. I enjoyed the romance to it. They are so madly in love and it kept even my interest. Of course the two 13yr olds loved it!

Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 10, 2014

Sad

I almost cried when----- died.so if your kid is sensitive then don't take them.

Parent Written byarasm May 10, 2014

Little boys dream come true!

This movie is action packed! One scene was a little too much with the guns but outside of that my son loved it.
Adult Written byAvp January 1, 2015
Violance 3/5 gore 2/5 language 1/5 sex 1/5

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 August 22, 2014

Average sequel, too many weak villains

Though, as many have pointed out, the strength of this movie comes from the weakness of the Raimi series, the chemistry between Garfield and Stone, their is just too much cartoony things in the film to make it a viable superhero movie. Why cast the ultra-cool Foxx as nerd Electro, despite his cool transformation? Why cast Paul Giamatti as the Rhino? Why HAVE the Rhino when he's an over-the-top, goofy Russian gangster? The clear best villain of the three is Dane DeHaan's Harry Osborne...but we've SEEN the Green Goblin before in the original incarnation...out of the entire Marvel universe you go with this guy again? While it does set up for "The Sinister Six" movie, and has some pretty great action and...woo, that ending, "2" left me a little disjointed.

Adult Written byKermet November 15, 2015

What's the big deal?

The Amazing Spider Man 2 is very tame compared to other super hero movies. There are some scenes were some kids may become sad or scared but they are heavily outweighed by the good, positive scenes. Also, since when is telling someone you love them considered sex? It is very good and anyone who thinks this is too violent and inappropriate have no idea what they're talking about.

Adult Written byjoshua martinez May 25, 2014

12 and up.

based on the first film the amazing spider-man 2 is one of the best action/adventure movies that i have ever seen this movie will surely entertain your young teen spider man fans the only issue that this movie has is the intense comic violence over all the movie does have a positive message about Hold on to hope, and instill hope in others whenever you're able and the role model is that Peter is a caring and loving nephew, boyfriend, and friend and obviously a selfless superhero when he's acting as Spider-Man Gwen loves Peter not because of his superhero alter ego but because of his generous spirit.

Adult Written byhelpinghand May 6, 2014

New spiderman with tons of cool special effects and filled with violence

The story is well executed with great acting. It has great special effects and action scens, with well timed comedic relief. For content wise, little kissing, minimum language, but very intense fighting sequences with some scary images for younger viewers.
Parent Written byCriticus March 30, 2019

Rather Un-Amazing Spider-Man

As I said rather pointedly in my last Spidey review, this two-movie series fails to live up to the legend of the comic-book character. This movie is more entertaining that the first one, as we get more plot details about Peter's past, an increasingly complex relationship between Peter and Gwen, and twice the amount of villains we had the first time round. Still, the characterization of said villains is disappointing, if you expected for anything more than good action sequences. The film-makers always seem to go to lengths to ensure the humanity of their characters remain intact, yet the payoffs never quite add up. Ah, what could have been... This movie is more emotional than the previous one, and the themes more extreme. Again, a few kisses and a spattering of language: 14:10 - Lor's sakes 35: 30 - P*ssed off 1:12:12 - D*mn 1:20:05 - Oh G*d 1:21:00 - "G*d save the Queen"... 1:24:50 - "What the h*ll" 1:30:35 - G*d 1:42:25 - H*ll 1:51:35 - Thank G*d 2:02:05 - G*d