Kid reviews for The Basketball Diaries

The Basketball Diaries Poster Image

Realistic

This was such a good movie. It was almost relatable in a way? Being a kid in a big city with dumb kids it’s so easy to get mixed up with drugs and stuff. A lot of people think that stuff is cute/cool and this movie shows that it’s literal hell. It’s so sad because stuff like this is happening every day. I def shedded a bunch a tears especially during the end. I’d argue that Jim was a good role model even if we saw him doing the most trifling things, because even after all the crap that he went through, he pulled through and did something good with his life! So good!

1 person found this helpful.

Great movie, but think twice about letting your child see it.

This movie is one of the most moving pieces I have ever seen. It’s definitely not for a younger audience (-14/15) or for people who aren’t pretty mature emotionally. I had first seen this movie when I was twelve or so by myself, and it was just fine for me (considering I had seen Wild Things and Liar’s Moon that same year. I’m into the sort of grim movies, if you couldn’t tell already.). It’s similar to The Outsiders, but on a whole different level. This movie was slightly disturbing, I kept thinking about it for a while later. I saw it a second time and fell in love with it. It shows how rough life can really get and how it is for so many people. This movie really has a lot of morals laced within and shows the arc within the main character really well. It shows the less ideal components of adolescence, like peer pressure and drug abuse, both of which are very common to encounter as a teenager today. I would know. It shows the horrible consequences of drug abuse during adolescence. If you’re thinking about letting your child watch this movie, you should think twice about how emotionally mature or stable they are. This movie is very touching, but can be very triggering for many. It’s violent in many parts and does not show good role models, despite Jim’s success and redemption in the end-(remember, he was in jail for a while). This movie shows tons of drug use, profanity, and prostitution, vomiting, as well as one of Jim’s fantasies to shoot up his school + drug withdrawal (the scene where Jim is at Reggie’s joint). I might as well add that Jim’s coach attempted to pay Jim for sex in the locker room bathroom, too. A great piece but definitely think about how mature your child is, and watch with them if you feel more comfortable. I’d say this movie is probably for mature teens about 15 years of age or older.

welp I wouldn’t say it’s a kids movie but for 13+ it’s a good rating

I think it’s 13+ it teaches you a lesson

Underrated

The movie should have atleast 4/5 on the positive message scale sinse it comes with a great messege of dont do drugs, dont disrespecr you're parents, dont kill people. The school shooting scene was not that violant and I dont inclde a school shooting as vilance I only do the shooting and yes school shooting is bad 3/5 for violance There was not that much sex in the film I think there was no nudity so like 2-3/5 for sex Drinkinf/drug/smoking 5/5 don't need to explain Overall this is a very underrated movie I only leeve it to 15+ sinse I think its more animed twoards this audiance.

This film is really good and Leonardo DiCaprio's acting is amazing in this it's a must see for anyone above 12 because it's got a lot of language and drug usage. It shows a story about a boy: Jim Carol that starts taking drugs and his life starts to come apart. It could show your kids/you what could happen if you/they did start.

The Basketball Diaries

This is a good movie for kids who are more mature. But it depends what they are comfortable with watching. I would say kids 14+ because they have better knowledge about what's happening in the movie, also because they are mature enough to see things that would be inappropriate for other kids.

Amazing

This is amazing, Leonardo is an incredible actor and at such a young age portrayed his character so well. It is a sensitive topic (drug abuse and sexual harassment) but it is still an extremely informative and generally amazing. Also Leo was and always will be a sexy beast xx

amazing

this is probably one of my favorite movies. there are a few scenes that are for older audiences which could be uncomfortable to watch with parents but it's an amazing depiction of what drugs can do to your life. this is also and amazing performance by leonardo, he makes it feel so real.

Excellent but awakening

I first saw this movie when I was a little too young and, though I didn’t realise at the time, it left a long lasting affect on me. Whether that was a positive effect or damaging I don’t know. However, it certainly kept me away from drugs!

Great Film!

Now in England kids are already exposed to this at the age of 11. They have to mix with people who are 16 as a requirement. There are people who are 13-14 who i’ve seen high and have had s3x. They are already exposed to this at such a young age and have had all the talks from police officers and past addicts. I watched it when I was 13 and I was fine.