Kid reviews for The BFG (1989)

The BFG (1989) Poster Image

Great film, but the giants are the scariest cartoon characters in existence.

I was first shown this movie, before I read the books, at the age of about five. Some scenes are funny, others dramatic, and the film is bound to set off a child's imagination. Unfortunately, the child-eating giants are probably some of the most frightening cartoon characters in history - much scarier than their counterparts in the remake (who, despite featuring in a live-action film, tend to be more cartoonish than the cartoon originals). These giants include the dreaded Bloodbottler, who storms into the BFG's cave, his moustache the shape of dripping blood, frothing at the mouth - the horrendous Flesh-Lump-Eater, who rises out of the Sea like a child's biggest nightmare, to roam the streets looking for children to devour. I admit that these giants gave me nightmares until I was about twelve years old. This may be because I was shown the film at a young age. Despite this, I actually was fascinated by the film - it IS very good. But you have to ask yourself - do you really want to show your little child a film about huge monstrous giants who pluck children at random from their beds and EAT them? Well, I would.

A great movie for kids!

While the animation isn't that great, the story in general is touching, strong, and fun for the little ones. I too found it to be pretty great. Defiantly check it out!

The BFG Film is Stunning!!!

I love this film, the first time I watched it was when I was 7 and I thought it was amazing and I still do!!! (I'm 12 now) I think every child will love this although the evil giants might be scary... But on the whole it's just a totally AWESOME film!!! :) Hope you go out of your way to watch this film with your children because i am very happy that my Mum bought the film.

A harmless little adventure film

For a little child, this film is the best!

not rated for age