All parent member reviews for The Big Year

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byonboard October 22, 2011

A GREAT family movie for ages 12 and Up!

We ALL enjoyed this movie. However some scenes are inappropriate for children under age 12. I would not have brought my 10 year old to see this. A wife is shown self-administering fertility shots. In a bedroom scene a wife is suspected of sleeping with another man while her husband is away, birding. A main character is shown giving "the finger". The scenery IS BEAUTIFULL. The birds are gorgeous. The actors are great together and funny too! A great family movie for ages 12 and up.
Parent Written byimprove April 4, 2012

An exceptional movie.

Actually, to say this is an exceptional movie is an understatement. We ended up seeing it accidentally, as the movie we had set out to see (Tower Heist) turned out to be playing at a theater down the road. But let's face it, a movie that has bird watching as the main plot does not sound very promising unless you are looking for something to nap through. This movie, with its lack of major special effects, combat and other visual stimulation so prevalent in most movies these days, somehow kept the habitual movie nappers in our little group wide awake all the way through. It was really nice to see such a well built story, and the sexual reference was a lot less then you see on commercials during prime time television. The movie illustrates character flaws in people, and also shows what some people will do or try to overcome them, rather than just decide that everyone else has to accept you exactly as you are. Because we can all always be better. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Parent Written byMummy Roo January 20, 2014

Love this movie - family favourite!

This has become one of our all time favourite movies. Funny, but not overdone. The 3 mains are just great. beautiful scenery, great music and good plot. My 10 yr old daughter was so impressed by this that she requested binoculars and a birding book for Christmas. It also led me to read the book - slightly different but easy to spot the characters - great, funny book too.
Adult Written byJEDI micah March 29, 2012

THE BIG YEAR WITH BIG ACTORS!

This movie is alright. I was actually suprised, though, about the amount of language in this movie, was is rated PG. Parents, this movie is on pause if your kids are 11 or under, so you may want to watch it with them first!