All parent member reviews for The Black Stallion

Adult Written bysarah_from_yale April 9, 2008
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byBerrybramble September 19, 2010

Touching movie

Beautifully done movie. Does NOT look like it was filmed in 1979, as the cinematography is fabulous and looks new! The acting is wonderul as well.
Parent Written byLauren67 February 12, 2011

Not for my kids

i think that is too scary for my daughter i hate my kids watching movies with death
Adult Written byhorseloverparrot March 1, 2012

Good

I have lots of horses on my ranch. And I can definetly ride like they did. I have over 100 horses and 400 sheeps and goats with lots of cows, dogs and etc. Overall I love the movie.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bycwyatt June 30, 2011

Love the horse on the beach.

The major scary part is the ship sinking. You can skip it and go stright to the scenes on the beach. To me, this is the really magical part. No dialogue, just building a realationship between the boy and horse. The later parts are educational where the boy learns to care for the horse and train. It teaches patience, perserverence, and responsibility.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byheather.parker May 3, 2011
This is a great family movie. If you are worried that the beginning is too scary, you could just skip that part and explain to your kids that the ship sank. Otherwise, awesome scenery and a real feel-good movie.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byPoxleo February 28, 2011

Beautiful Classic

One of my personal favorites. Read all of the books. Beautiful movie but the shipwreck scene may be a bit intense for younger children.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykleinandlu February 27, 2011
Loved the slow pace! The shipwreck in the beginning is iffy...though I think its good to come into contact with the concept of death minus the violence. I don't like the dishonesty which is the basis by which the boy starts to train as a jockey. I liked that it took the boy sometime to build the relationship with the horse, the persistence it took, though I don't like the message that he won the first time out....but I did enjoy watching this with my boys.
Parent of a 9 and 9 year old Written bykptown December 12, 2010

wonderful movie

A beautiful, moving film! The kids enjoyed it, but the storm at sea is very very dramatic and was scary for them. The boy disobeys and lies to his mom, which isn't a great message, but he ultimately fesses up. He is also very persistent in training and loyal to the horse who saved his life.
Parent of a 2, 8, and 16 year old Written byGrandpa Randy December 4, 2010

Great Movie to Watch with Your Kids or Grandkids

Great movie
Educator and Parent of a 9 and 14 year old Written bylioness57 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bystinker103 April 9, 2008

This movie was excellent and it was really informative about how animals interact

It was excellent, that's all there is to say.