All teen and kid member reviews for The Bling Ring

Teen, 16 years old Written bySean Broucek June 13, 2013

Really Good Mature Crime Drama

Parents, this new glitzy crime drama from the director of "Lost In Translation" is really good with stellar performances and an intense plot, but the drugs, alcohol, violence, strong language, and sex makes this a film for only the most mature teens. Violence includes multiple robberies, fighting, shooting, interrogation, and a car crash. Sexuality is more of one of the movie's vibes, but still includes a graphic sex scene, flirting, kissing, m akin out, drunk intercourse, and scantily clad women. Drugs and alcohol use is one of the strongest elements of the story. There are teenage excessive use of heroin, weed, cocaine, and smoke cigarettes constantly, and lots of underage alcohol consumption. There is also lots of language, which includes several uses of f--k, s--t, d--k, c--t, c--k, a--hole, hell, wh-re, sl-t, b-tch, and p----y. In the end, this brilliant and really good sparkling crime drama is best left for the mature teens. Rated R For Teen Drug & Alcohol Use, Brief Violence, Some Strong Sexuality, And Language Throughout.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHeyItsKay13 June 26, 2013

I liked it but...

I loved the movie, but it used constant swears. I liked it, and I'm pretty mature, but other teens who aren't that mature shouldn't see this movie. It's definately off for kids under 13.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life September 21, 2014

Not as bad as common sense says!

This "Crime-Comedy-Drama" is not as bad as common sense says. This movie is basically rated R for the language and the drug/alcohol use. It has no violence what so ever. Sex isn't an issue, just a couple of mild sexual references and a scene where Emma Watson's character dances on a pole in Paris Hilton's home (she is fully clothed and its not in a sexual manner, its meant to be comedic). High school aged teens drink alcohol and smoke illegal substances (Cigarettes, Pot, Marijuana, Beer, Wine, ETC.). The ending is pretty dramatic, but not violent. Overall common sense wrote another misleading review.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMovieMan626 October 10, 2013

The Bling Ring is an oddly cold and strange crime drama.

I struggled to figure out what The Bling Ring was. Enticed by the promise of Emma Watson as a valley girl, I sat down for what turned out to be a very strange 90 minutes. The movie centers around a group of teens in California that break into famous people's homes and steal their possessions. It is based off a real life crime ring that did the same thing in 2010. The group steals from a variety of homes from Paris Hilton to Lindsey Lohan. The whole movie feels cold and it was a struggle to find a scrap of sympathy for the characters. Everyone acts out of control and has no morals. It almost feels like a nightmare because we know it ends badly. Seeing this movie made me oddly uncomfortable but perhaps the was the goal. Maybe I was supposed to see the error is idolizing celebrities and the oversexualization of today's teens. Maybe it was just a strange movie. However, Emma Watson was stunning as the snotty valley girl. That alone was enough to make the movie worthwhile.
Kid, 12 years old January 18, 2014

Great Movie

I loved this movie. It was really entertaining and fun. I am very mature, so it didn't seem inappropriate to me. There was drugs and language issues, but I loved it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe Cheap Seats December 31, 2013

If You Can't Be Famous, Be Infamous

The Bling Ring is pure social commentary and a pretty brilliant film. Emma Watson is incredible as Nikki, an empty-headed, superficial person who is unlikable but hilarious. I think the film is misunderstood by a lot of people. These characters aren't supposed to be likable, they're supposed to be disgusting and provoke emotion. They are disgusting and do provoke emotion. You genuinely feel something while watching this movie. It's social commentary is smart and easily recognizable. The film looks beautiful, has very sharp cinematography and uses Los Angeles as a character, almost. The film has teens swearing, saying words like f***, sh*t, d*mn, b*tch, wh*re, sl*t. The c-word can be heard in song lyrics playing in the background of a club where the teens are dancing. There is a lot of underage drinking and drug use and teens committing robberies. One character gets in a car accident. Overall, a great movie with sharp social commentary and some excellent performances. B+.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 December 29, 2013

Shocking and ultimately sad

"Bling Ring" is no "Lost in Translation." Both had minimal dialogue, this one fills most of its time with the teens robbing stars' homes, so it does go by quicker than Bill Murray staring longingly at Scarlett Johansson. That said, you never really care about any of the characters except Marc, who starts out as a loner. Hold for him and Emma Watson, an experienced actress who nails her Valley Girl accent, the acting is more than a little wooden for the rest of the ensemble, especially from the ringleader, played by Katie Chang. This film does however comment on how our culture MADE these teens celebrities for robbing celebrities; by indulging in their fantasies on trying on Paris Hilton's clothes and Orlando Bloom's watches, these kids caught our attention, which might be the saddest/most relevant message to get from this film.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykatnissthegirlonfire October 30, 2013

Really Good!

Really good movie and one that mostly appeals to teens, emma watson is one of my role models and she is in this movie, she was great!!!! This movie does contain swearing and lots of drug taking but to be honest it is not like we have never seen/heard stuff like that before :) !!!!
Kid, 11 years old October 6, 2013

Awesome

The Bling Ring is a very good movie but I think if some people can't handle swearing, parting, smoking and drugs it may not be a movie for them but I really enjoyed it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byB-KMastah July 5, 2013

Wonderfully satirical, funny, and ironically played.

Very subtle, smart, acerbic, and funny. Just be prepared for how realistic it is. The direction and acting is stellar, with both constantly poking fun at the privileged stupidity of the suspects, with their dialogue, intentional fake crying, and dumb white girl mentality. I saw some reviews saying that it didn't explore the motives of the robbers, but the film did: they just wanted fame and its lifestyle. It's pretty simplistic, because they themselves are simple minded. I wasn't bored because the real life events are sensationally entertaining so I was interested the whole time. I loved the social commentary on these people and their characterization; nothing is made much of because the people are stupid as hell. Marc's homosexuality is ditched because although it's part of who his is, it's irrelevant to the overall story. Emma Watson cracked me up with her performance, and the acting all around was very good and well suited to given situations, being annoying or "innocent" when it's warranted. She and Israel Broussard gave some good subtle statements which provoke thoughts regarding the severity and motives of their crimes. This is a film that has nearly no intention on being fun, but instead bleak, and I applaud the filmmakers for that. This is "mood filmmaking." Many critics and users complained that the characters were one-dimensional and shallow which is true, but it's completely justified. Sofia Coppola created very real people; the dialogue, actions, and lack of conscience provided insight to how vapid these people really were, and the almost identical characterization of each person shows how lazy and dumb the robbers actually were. I also saw people getting mad at the perceived repetitiveness of the film, but, again, it's to show how lazy the kids were. They robbed celebrities over and over and the repetition displayed here shows, furthermore, how lazy and hedonistic these teens were. It gives a sense of realism to the film. It helps furthermore that the dialogue is so accurate to today's overprivileged teens. As a 16-year-old going on 17, this is exactly how these despicable people act; I know some people like this. Sofia Coppola and the actors managed to make these people interesting. The fact that they filmed this in Paris Hilton's house is great, and - added into the subtly - there are some great jabs at celebrities. They call Paris Hilton's dog the wrong name and show no interest in a script right on Megan Fox's nightstand in lieu of sunglasses and lipstick. I saw that Sofia Coppola said that she wanted to tell the story from the kids' point of view, and it warranted the film to be shallow due to the tone's context. The whole film is very faithful to the real life events, so don't blame the writing for their easy entrances to the stupid celebrities' homes. 9.3/10, amazing, two thumbs up, far above average, etc.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStevie111 June 24, 2013

Really well done humerous drama

This movie is very well done and engaging. There is lots of drug use. Other than that just some swearing and not too mature, but the movie is very entertaining.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymro15 March 18, 2016

very entertaining

I really enjoyed watching this movie, and i found it very interesting and entertaining to watch. I know that the behavior showcased in this movie is not something to imitate, and i think a mature 14+ will have no problem watching this movie. it says a lot about society's values and celebrity culture as well. So if that is something you are interested in, I highly recommend this film :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byFilmSavvy June 3, 2014

Entertaining "Fluff" Movie, But Bad Role Models

I liked this movie as a "fluff", or a movie that's not to be taken too seriously. The teens are fame-obsessed and obsessed with designers and celebrities, so much that they're willing to steal. There were a few questionable plot holes that made the movie a bit confusing, some characters randomly popping up without a backstory/explanation about them. Heavy drug and alcohol use for all underage teens, and brands and celebrities popping up everywhere throughout the movie. The teens aren't good role models at all, after watching this movie, I myself suddenly felt rebellious like them, so be prepared if you or anyone else's attitude changes after the movie. The parents are a bit clueless and careless, but one of the mothers has pretty good values and is a good role model. My point is, this movie was entertaining to watch, and I enjoyed it, but I advise first-time watchers (mainly younger teens) to make sure they understand the moral of the movie and don't get too far into the idea of wanting to steal or do substances. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byBecky Chandler November 16, 2013

Full of Glitz and Glamour

I really enjoyed watching this film (which is actually based on real events). It is a real eye-opener to how far some people will go to get the latest designer clothes. Coppola directs it with such elegance and portrays it beautifully but also truthfully. From the beginning you could distinguish the characters personalities and you noticed how some characters - particularly Rebecca - seem fearless but other characters - Marc - are a lot more wary. I loved how the different characters clashed but also developed throughout the duration of the film. As usual Watson spoils us with a stunning performance. Other actors who I felt stood out were Leslie Mann and Clare Pfister. In terms of the age-rating I felt it was about right. It was too risky for a 12A rating but too innocent for an 18 rating. I felt there were only two explicit elements of the film: drugs and language. The language throughout is moderately strong. Cocaine and weed are being taken. What I will say about drug exposure in films is it is only bad if it glamorises drugs (I don't know if you parents agree) as if the true effects are shown then there isn't a huge issue as it mostly puts children off. I can tell you now that these drugs ARE shown in a misused manner and not at all encouraged as the characters notorious lifestyle comes to a sudden end at the end (I won't spoil it for you). This film is good and I would recommend that you watch it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmer12345 October 8, 2013

...

good, yet partially inappropriate
Teen, 15 years old Written byiPunk June 22, 2013

Choose your friends wisely

Marc was a boy who went to a new school, but meeting Rebecca made him a criminal. Marc was not a criminal at first, but Rebecca made him go with her when she broke into people's cars. He was a little too scared to say no. Things other people around you do can influence what you do, like what happened with Marc in this movie. People look to other people to find out what to do, whether it's right or wrong. With that said, people don't always actually do what other people do, what other people do only plays a part in people's decisions. There are some scenes of girls in their bras, and some people doing drugs.