Parent and Kid Reviews on

The Brave One Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 4 parent reviews

Sort by:

The Brave One isn't Brave...

There's not much good about this film. From poor acting to pulpy plot to extreme graphic violence to dangerous messages, there just isn't a lot to enjoy. While I agree that this one isn't for kids (it isn't for ANYONE, quite frankly) parents who do choose to share it should be prepared to talk about how Erica could have displayed REAL bravery -vigilantism is not the correct answer.

Adults okay but BAD MESSAGE for kids!

I think that this movie kind of puts out the message to kids that going through something exceptionally traumatic gives one license to do wrong in order to almost justify the problem. In essence, it's okay to do something bad to people that are worse. And I don't agree with that. That's not a message that I want to give to my kids! There's also tons of violence and dirty talk.

The NOT Brave one!

This movie is somewhat entertaining, and both Foster and Howard give good performances. But the message is horrible and far worse, has nothing to do with bravery. It is about a woman who survives a vicious attack, which apparently leads her down a very dark path, awakening a side of her that even she did not know existed. Her transformation is too fast & furious and had it been handled (read: written, directed, edited) in a better way, may have added more character depth, making this a more satisfying movie. I wasn't at all sure why she purchased the gun...I think it was fear, but it was never fully explained. Was she frustrated with how the police were handling her case? Again...not covered as it should have been. Interesting and unrealistic that she wasn't aware of the gun permit law, as she assumed she could buy a gun without a waiting period. Then, within moments of leaving the gun shop, she's approached by a man who offers to sell her an illegal gun for $1,000. Miraculously, she just happens to have had that amount of cash in her pocket, because the deal was completed in that one scene. If anyone was BRAVE in this movie, it was this guy. He gave her the world's shortest gun handling lesson and when he handed it over to her, she kept pointing it at him as she practiced with the safety and loading procedures. YIKES! So, instead of bravery, as the title implies, this movie is everything to do with taking the law into your own hands. But the viewer never really knows why Foster's character goes down this road. It almost seems by accident. As a matter of fact, the movie implies that this type of violence lives in everyone and, given the right circumstances, we all would kill. If you would like to see a movie that depicts this subject matter more thoroughly, I recommend EYE FOR AN EYE, with Sally Fields, Ed Harris and a wonderful performance by Keifer Sutherland (you'll love hating him!) This movie supplied my older teenage son and I with many good discussion starters, but overall I would not recommend it for the younger crowd or for anyone that is offended by violent and shallow movies. There must be better roles out there for Ms. Foster...she is one of our more brilliant actors!