Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Break-Up

Mean-spirited comedy pushes edge for teens.

Adult Written bykristen p. January 28, 2011
I watched this movie with my tween daughter, and enjoyed it. I thought the acting was well-done and the plot was a little cliche, but funny. Overall it was a fun movie, great to watch with younger teens. It wasn't innapropriate, minimal swearing, and though there was some talk of sex, my daughter is mature and she could handle it. I talked to her about it after and she took it well.

Adult Written bybrooke0128 April 9, 2008

Hilarious but rating should be a "R"

Definitely a funny movie! Vince makes the movie with his humor. However, ther is way too much sexual content etc and this movie should be rated "R". NO ONE under 17 allowed! :)
Adult Written bykbnae April 9, 2008

Only funny if you like watching uncouth morons

Watching a dysfunctional couple with a warped sense of what encompasses a true relationship is bad enough, but watching them be rude, crude and downright disgusting and then calling it comedy is just ridiculous. There was too much language, too much selfishness and, frankly, nothing funny about it.
Adult Written by[email protected] April 9, 2008

O.K. Movie

Not appropriate for children under 15.
Adult Written byEmilia . May 16, 2017

Film Literature A1 Emme Chadwick

“The Break up” is a film that incorporates a real life situation into a film that is relatable and well rounded. This film produces a new look at relationships and the hardships that are bound to come between two people. The director interestingly takes a new, and innovative approach on this film by not making it a happy ending story, but in fact making it a sad ending where neither person in the couple regains what they truly want--each other. The director continuously reinforces the idea that couples aren’t always happy and go through trials just like everyone else. By doing this, it makes the film a more relatable thing to watch for an older audience. Although this film is overall an enjoyable film to watch, I would not consider it classic or a very popular film. Though in it’s time it may have been very popular amongst adults and teenagers, it’s overall value has decreased with time. Many think this is due to the fact that the film is too generic with no real ‘closure’ at the end of the film. Others speculate that it’s just another relationship movie. I believe this film decreased in popularity due to both of these reasons. It attracts many of the older audience to this film, but once you’ve seen it, you’ve seen it and there's not much more to gain. Overall, I believe this film holds many morals and messages within it. All relationships have problems at one point or another and I believe this film explores those ideas fairly well. It teaches us that if you love someone, you sacrifice what you want to make the other person happy. It’s also equally important that both partners are emotionally satisfied in the relationship in order for it to work out in the end for both parties. The director installations that in his film by getting a deeper look of the phases couples go through after a break up, which made the film stronger in the long run. The director in this film did a good job of showing the internal conflict of both the people in the relationship and how that affected the wellbeing of the external conflict. By showing both sides of this relationship and how both people thought out their next move, it brought to light many of the questions people have in their own relationship. Brooke’s internal conflict was feeling unappreciated in the relationship, and Gary’s internal conflict was being confused and wanting freedom. Both of these problems contributed to the bridged external conflict, the break up and the aftermath it left on their friends and family. The director brought to light these two characters equally into the plot, which strengthened the audience’s connection to both characters. This film explores relationships and the struggles one goes through very well. I would recommend this movie and give it a 7 on the wow scale.
Parent of a 13 and 17 year old Written byParentShell123 January 9, 2016

Terrible ending.

I watched this with my 13 year old daughter and there were some parts that were a bit risky, but it was mainly swearwords and she knows never to repeat these. However, the ending was one of the worst I've ever seen - don't watch if you like happy or satisfying endings. The rest of the film was OK.

Parent of a 9 year old Written bymoviemom35 October 20, 2009
The review left out that when brook walks around naked her back is visible.

Adult Written by[email protected] April 9, 2008

It was a great laugh,great actors

I enjoyed this flim a lot since i love the actors in it ans since they had a real think going on. This flim is not meant to harm anyone or affend anyone it is just a flim about two peopl in love trying to sort out there differences and that is the whole sence of the fllim if people cant get that over then why see it in the fist place. I is a great movie to see when down in the humps and having a glass of red wine and some of your favorite chocolates. so enjoy the movie, go out to see it with your friends or stay at home with your sofa and wine.