Parent reviews for The Cave of the Yellow Dog

Unique, mild glimpse into nomadic Mongolian kids' lives.

Based on 1 review

No reviews yetAdd your rating
Parent of a 6-year-old Written bymnewburn July 24, 2012

Educational about how other children and families live

I watched this with my 6 year old. There was one part -- when the little girl finds a dog in the cave -- that he got scared (he thought a wolf was going to be in there and eat her). But the movie gave us a lot of things to talk about! There was a lot that he didn't understand as a 6 year old, so we paused the movie about 10 different times to talk about what was happening. The movie wasn't very clear about their religion, and he kept asking what they were doing and because I didn't know a lot either, I couldn't explain well. It is good for the educational value about how other children and families live. Afterward, I asked him some questions, like what is one cool thing about the way that they live. I asked about one thing he is thankful for having that they don't have, and he said a house that stays and that he doesn't have to play with poop (dung) but has toys. The movie was great for this educational value -- I would recommend it for 7 years old or older as they will understand more, and the movie is not action-packed so requires patience/maturity on the part of kid viewers. I am still very glad that we watched it even though I think he was a tad young!!

Educational Value