Parent reviews for The Christmas Chronicles

Edgy, exciting Santa adventure has iffy behavior, peril.

Parent Written byHelen M. November 23, 2018

Thanks 9 and 7 here so it’s a no :(

Love Christmas movies. Just wish they would stay away from the bit of not believing and then believing It’s confusing for young ones and puts the thought in their minds when they are too young! I do not need a family friendly movie that just gives laughs for the adults. We have enough movies that give us that.
Adult Written byBLS1982 November 24, 2018

Had to turn off 10 minutes in

My kids are 7 and 5. There was a lot of mature language (for them) such as freakin’, hell, damn, moron, etc. The older brother hints at there being no Santa and then he steals a car with his friends. All within 10 minutes. We shut it off after that. I was disappointed because it looked like it would be good and we were looking forward to seeing it.

Adult Written bycatwmn84 November 25, 2018

Great Movie for whole family

add this to your holiday watch list! don't pay attention to other reviews that didn't watch more then 10 minutes of the movie. it all comes full circle at the end. several moments that made me laugh and made me cry. kids are 5,7, 10 + mom and we really enjoyed the movie! they actually put away their tablets to sit together as a family to see this movie. if you've a little one questioning if santa is real this year...watch this movie! all the feels of the magic of christmas <3

Adult Written byJessiep1 November 24, 2018

Turned off in first 10 minutes

Was very surprised and disappointed to have a kid hint at no Santa, steal a car, get in a physical fight with sister, AND hear the word “hell” in the first ten minutes. Then I read the rundown and there are apparently several instances with “damn” as well. My kids are five and seven, we were pretty surprised this movie was slated in the Kids section of Netflix.

Adult Written byNancy C. November 24, 2018

Had to shut it off

If you are looking for a feel good family movie to watch with your kids.....this ISN'T it! Kids that cuss, lie, and steal cars.. in the first 10 minutes. Oh and not to mention that awkward moment when the older brother is about to tell his sister that there is no santa, but doesn't last second. Too much strife for me to sit through.

Adult Written byYvonne W. November 23, 2018

Surprisingly adventurous Santa!

Very uplifting movie for our modern not so rosy society. Just the right amount of holiday cheer without being too sugary. Kirk Russell really pulls off a wonderful performance as a Santa who is there for the good kids and those who are astray. Love that he speaks multiple languages and gives everyone a chance! Great family movie!
Adult Written byMlikes2ride November 24, 2018

Wow

Kurt Russell makes an awesome Santa. I couldn't wait for my kids to watch this movie they loved it

Parent of a 7 year old Written byBretD1 December 14, 2018

Pump the breaks helicopter parents

We thought this was a pretty good movie and our 7 year old loved it. I’m truly hoping that the parents complaining about this movies “rough start” are homeschooling their children or not letting them leave their house because if you can’t let your children make it through Christmas chronicles I’m not sure if they’ll be able to make it through life. Do u really think that your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th grader has never been around another child that hasn’t alluded to their not being a Santa? I didn’t know freakin was a swear word, and they use it once. Lastly I feel extremely sorry for the children of the parents that are calling the 5 seconds of “grand theft auto” scary. Way to put your kids through life with blinders on...it’s christmas chronicles with Kurt Russell for Pete’s sake, not a horror flick.
Adult Written byLeslie K. December 1, 2018

Had to turn it off.

As other reviewers stated, we had to shut this off not even 10 minutes in. A little girl stops herself from saying "sh-t", same girl and her mother each say "what the hell?", a car-jacking, physical fight between siblings, death of a parent. It was just too much for our family. Very disappointing that this sensationalism is what's deemed necessary in entertainment these days.

Adult Written byacruz79 November 23, 2018

Love It!!

Great family movie. Good laugh and lots action, which is good because am a mother of boys. Love it so much we watched it twice!

Adult Written byAlexMcQ December 1, 2018

Exciting but touches on heavy subjects

My 10 year old loved all of the action. My 4 year old was a little scared at times. The beginning sets a sombre and questionable tone but the movie quickly redeems itself as the kids learn to forgive, love, believe and be kind. This movie covers naughty behaviours like grand theft auto, being mean to your sibling, and general crimes that land people in jail (Santa ends up there after a high speed chase in a twice-stolen car.) It's a really fun take on a Christmas spirit film and my husband and I both laughed, cried and enjoyed ourselves. The actors all performed brilliantly.

Adult Written byLauraAnnElizabeth December 4, 2018

Made the kids turn it off in the first 15 mins

Not sure how it got rave reviews or ended up in the kid friendly section of Netflix. I was not happy when watching with my 9 and 10 year olds were mortified by the language, car theft by a main character teenager in the first chunk of the movie. We went on to watch without the kids and my husband did like it. We could have done without the unnecessary brashness of it and the kids might have enjoyed it too.

Adult Written byIsabellasmomanddad December 1, 2018

Surprised by language

Thought it was a good movie and would have been great to finish but after the first half an hour with continued curse words. Decided it wasn't worth it. I don't want my daughter to think we can't say those words but it's okay to watch shows that continually use them. Not good for me. Disappointed bc we were very excited to watch this.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byConcernedParentPaul November 22, 2018

Disappointed Father

As a 57 year old father I love movies with great structure and so should your kids. When I was watching this thrilling, devious masterpiece I could not help but to think of how thin the plot line was. Santa did not have a major role which upset me. I was hoping for a much deeper connection between actors like in movies such as Titanic or Leprechaun 3. I feel like the film makers should have sat dow with the cast for a Minimum of five hours and should have done some bonding activities. I think that the character chemistry was not as I hoped. Sincerely Disappointed Father
Parent of a 10 year old Written byitm623 November 24, 2018

Great family movie

Perfect for families with kids 9 and older. This movie keeps them believing, Love Kurt Russell as Santa Claus, refreshing, funny and love the message of "keep believing". Movie didn't have anything sexual. A must see!

Adult Written byjodis2 December 10, 2018

NOT FOR KIDS

Bad language, BAD examples of behavior... terrible beginning that isn't worth the ending.. no matter how good it eventually gets. There is allusion to NO santa. Name calling, foul language, car theft, encouraging watching R rated programs if mom isn't home.... BAD!!!! Not a kids movie.

Adult Written bysongnverse December 15, 2018

Why do they have to mess up everything?

I really don’t understand why these movies need bad language. It’s just unnecessary. Just make a really good movie. You know, there are people in this world who don’t curse and don’t want their children too either.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byKidcritic.com December 11, 2018

Not the best film-3 stars.

This is an OKAY film. I'm not saying it's TERRIBLE. But it's worthy of a 3 star film. This film-if it wasn't a TV Netflix film-would be PG-13 mostly for the language. This film is a TV film. And TV films or TV shows that are TV-PG conclude...some language, very little sexual content/humor/dialouge, and some mild violence. This film is a TV-PG TV film. So if it weren't a TV film, my MPAA rating is: PG-13 (or a HARD PG) for mild thematic elements, mild langauge, brief drinking, mild violence rude humor, and for brief suggestive material. There is: 1-3 uses of d*mn, and one use of what the h*ll. And then the brief suggestive material is because during a song that Santa sings, 4 women that are background singers dance MILDLY suggestive. MILDLY. Then once scene is placed in a half bar-half restaurant place. On the half bar side we briefly see people drinking and one man is passed out. So those are the reasons itd be a hard PG. So an OK film that is fine for older kids 9+! Hope this helps!

Adult Written byDavid Christiansen November 24, 2018

Worth watching with your parents( any age)

The movie pretty much sums up the growing up and dealing with the issues of growing up and dealing with what it brings. Believing in or not, the fundamental issue of choice between being good or bad seems to be the real item the movie portrays. The bottom line is that the choice is up to the individual. Fortunately these movies always seem predictable and I recognise some of the plot ideas came from some previous Christmas movies. The good thing is that they were presented in a fresh twist and for that reason alone make it a good watch. The title hopefully indicates a follow up. Chronicles means more than 1 story follows at least. To me the end leaves much potential for a follow-up. I know I enjoyed watchin it first alone and then with my mom ( who is 82). This move is worth 4 stars and perhaps I should have said 5 just because it really is worth the watch. Kurt Russel makes a good Santa.
Adult Written bySH06 December 18, 2018

Absolutely fine for toddlers

Watched this with my children, aged 3 and 7. Both loved the film and it has made them believe in santa even more. It captured their imagination and now Santa coming is all they talk about! If anything, I just wished I had let them watch this sooner.