Parent reviews for The Client

Plucky, terrorized boy at heart of legal thriller.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

An Engrossing and Enjoyable Legal Thriller for Adults and Older Kids

I read John Grisham's THE CLIENT not so long ago and loved it. The young hero, 11-year old Mark Sway, was easy to root for, Reggie was indisputably likable, and the plot moved quickly and just kept picking up speed. I purchased the film from eBay with high hopes. The good news: the film met my expectations and is a great (though not perfect) adaptation of the book. The casting is spot-on. The bad news: It's definatly NOT appropriate for kids under 12 or some very mature 11-year olds. Language is a HUGE issue, with frequent uses of "s**t", "a*s", "d**n", "b**ch", and "bas***d". Young Mark curses too,and one third of the cursing comes from him alone. He also gives a threatening mobster "the finger" and smokes. Violence is iffy. A drunk, suicidal man violently yanks Mark into his car and threatens him while telling him secrets. Later the man shoots himself in the head (offscreen), and Mark is threatened with knives and guns by mobsters. Reggie is almost killed by a mafia member. Mark lies and steals and people we would normally look up too, like the FBI and police, cheat and break rules. But the film is still immensly enjoyable. It is intriguing and holds your attention from start to finish, and Susan Sarandon and Tommy Lee Jones shine in roles that it seemes they were made for. Highly recommended.
Adult Written byaveeck October 21, 2012

TOO MUCH PROFANITY!!

We gave it a try and were quickly embarrassed as the movie starts with a string of profanities from the mouths of adults and children alike. We hoped it would get better, but it does not. Violence was very difficult, too, as it deals with suicide and children in life/death situations.

Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 10, 2009

Very Good book, Very Good Movie, Prepare for language!

This movie is based on John Grisham's #1 best-selling novel. The content is a little bit rocky. Typical moderate words (sh-t, b---h, ba----d, a--, go------t) are used throughout. Kids smoke and flashes middle finger. Perfect for Pre-teens to watch with parents!
Grandparent Written byDickMcPenisFace July 4, 2018

It's hard to say...

I mean, it's good... BUT, I don't know if I like the idea of CHILDREN swearing! This is not setting a good example for our CHILDREN. I think we all need to take a good hard look at our FAMILY VALUES. We need more GOOD CHRISTIAN, and less BART SIMPSON!! Amen.