All parent member reviews for The Craft

Parent Written byemotionlessmoon October 27, 2013

The Craft movie review

First off, I'm researching Wicca and plan on doing my official year-and-a-day starting on January 1st. Now, on to the review: This movie is campy but can also be educational. There ARE dark forces out there and you don't mess with them until you've learned enough. This movie is more fantasy but there are elements of truth to it. This movie is not for kids at all. There is smoking, abuse, mental and physical, and alcohol. I know this is a long-winded comment but whatever you do does not come back to you ten-fold, it comes back three-fold. I hope someone can change that review.
Adult Written bywonder dove December 28, 2012

Great film! Mature audiences only!

This film is pretty awesome. I remember first viewing it on TV when I was quite young, maybe 10, because I liked "witchy" movies. And although it freaked me out, I liked it enough to want it on VHS at the time when DVDs weren't out. After viewing the un-dubbed version, I could see why it was rated an R. Lots of language that didn't appear in the TV version including the "F" word and much more cussing. The violence is very strong which includes gory stabbings, one of the witches goes absolutely insane, a very intense ritual, lots of teen bullying, crude racial comments, death scenes, teens getting revenge on classmates, stealing, talking about friends behind their backs, a boy falls out of a window and dies, a man gets hit by a car and dies. Sexual content includes kissing, false rumors about a girl being bad in bed, a girl seduces a drunk guy and tries to sleep with him, some talk about getting laid, a boy becomes obsessed over a girl due to a love spell. Party scenes. One reference to pot. Smoking & drinking are present among teens. Good scary witch craft movie which should only be viewed by 18+. Way too intense for young teens!!!
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byMattmchugh October 22, 2012

Good scary movie for teens... R rating seems way over the top

I'm not sure how this movie rates a R. There's some violence, but no excessive gore; some profanity, but relatively sparse; sexual content, though nothing graphic. I've seen much, much worse from many a PG-13. I suppose the occult subject is to blame, but if you're not someone who freaks out at words like "Wiccan" it really doesn't go very far. The main characters are high school misfits who bond and seek the power to strike back at their tormentors. Pretty honest microcosm of teenage life. The fact that it's about girls and witchcraft -- rather than teenage males tinkering with mutant super-powers -- creates a disproportionate negative reaction to what is, obviously, fantasy. If you take religious exception to the subject matter, that's one thing -- but, "The Craft" is pretty tame as far as horror movies go and, in fact, a clever bit of escapism with a solid moral core that smart teens may actually find insightful.
Adult Written bySirenStar November 4, 2011

Great movie, mature themes.

Yes, there are drugs, drinking, sexual content, and violence in this movie. I rated it 14 and up because, unless the kid is home-schooled, every 14 year old has seen or heard of everything that goes on that is real in this movie, regardless of whether a parent thinks so or not. This movie shouldn't be a problem for a 14 year old as long as they know what behavior is acceptable and what is not in their home and society.