Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Dark Crystal

A fantastic but more intense Muppet adventure.

Adult Written byPirogue May 13, 2011

Good for adults and kids to watch together

If you are religious and don't like other religious messages reaching your children, you may want to steer clear of this puppet-filled movie. One might say that it is about a different spirituality, though I doubt kids will pick up on this. I watched it first as an adult, and it is full of dark images. The movie keeps your mind active, and you have to solve a bit of a puzzle (figuring out how different characters are related). It is actually a very thoughtful movie, and I enjoyed it. The only concern is that if your child is too young, the movie may scare them. I have heard this comment from two of my friends. For me, it was watching "Land of the Lost" on Saturday mornings. Although I can laugh about it now, the dreaded Sleestak gave me nightmares when I was a child. Some of my friends have similar feelings about this movie.

Parent of a 5 year old Written byhopemcg February 19, 2012

A wonderful movie

My 5 year old daughter LOVES this movie. She finds some of the areas scary, but it is more "thrilling scary" than "nightmare scary." She first watched it when she was 4, but I don't know if all 4 year olds should watch it, if only because they will drive you nuts with questions.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byokj2 February 27, 2010

i think as long as your kids aren't scared of it it fine for everyone over seven

i love the fact that theres no romance to kids in this they can't see the relationship between jen and kira

Adult Written byzeekattacklee August 16, 2015

Dark Crystal..

Surprisingly, I don't remember any bad language. On that note, the creator did a great job putting in all the efforts of creativity.. On the other hand, it did look like it was getting intense during certain moments.. Other than that, I would say this makes a perfect Family film.

Adult Written byChuck Reid March 24, 2012

Great movie!

This movie was great! It was very funny and very action packed! Watch it ASAP!
Adult Written bylouisa1 February 10, 2015

very good jim henson adventure

our main characters kira and jen are definatly positive role models, but there are some very dark scene that may scare children, those mostly including the skeksis, quite scary, but very good.