Kid reviews for The Dark Crystal

A fantastic but more intense Muppet adventure.

Teen, 16 years old Written byclaycoz December 28, 2009

one of the best

when i was a kid and even now i love this movie and i would suggest it to kids getting into fantasy books and movies. There is not allot of violence but there are some disturbing images when the protagonists (the skeksis) suck the life out of the podlings. they do the samething to Kira but never successfully take it. even we high schoolers need a break from all those horror movies and junk. But the best thing about this movie is that there is no political message the director is trying to convey.

Teen, 13 years old Written bypicardisbetter April 30, 2015

Some creepy elements, but that's what makes it good

To any parent about to let their child watch this film, go ahead. But fair warning the skeksies and mystics are a little disturbing, not to mention one scene where a character gets stabbed (spoiler) by said skeksy.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 12, 2011

good show

i love the movie! nothing too bad in it
Teen, 13 years old Written byA.M. June 21, 2010

Not for lovers of cute Muppets, but still recommended

this was a great fantasy adventure. There was a little bit of violence: (Spoilers) One of the main characters is murdered at the end. A flashback shows Kira's mother get killed. There is an intence feeling in the movie for youngsters. Crab monsters try to harm the main characters, and the Skeksis duel is scary for some. But the ending is happy. I reccommend this film highly

Teen, 16 years old Written bydanny 7000 August 4, 2015

the dark crystal is not for little kids

i think the dark crystal is an amazing movie but its not for little kids because its really dark a skeksis drains the essence out of a noblet a skeksis falls down a hole and dies a skeksis tries to kill the main character giant beatles attack the characters and the noblets are like a bunch of hippies and theirs a bunch of smoke in their house with that being said i think the dark crystal is aimed at Teens and i don't recommend it for anyone under the age of 13

Kid, 10 years old April 2, 2012

For adventure loving people

The dark crystal movie is a great, intense, and scary adventure. If you like adventure movies this movie is the right thing to watch. Jim Henson is a good, but not great director.

Teen, 14 years old Written bygilly_boy January 10, 2012

Could have been better.

It'll be much more impressive if it was animated. The first time I saw Jen on screen, I could already tell he was a poppet as anything else. I have to admit though, the story and art work were great, absolutely incredible. But if you using poppets for a movie, there has got to be some live people like the muppets use. With this movie I see no point in making them poppets. I also like that character that smiles a lot and stalks the heroes. Although I have a problem with that voice, it sounds like the griffen's from the Storyteller. Really high pitched, it can easily hurt someone's ears.

Teen, 17 years old Written byDreamy-Pheonix April 24, 2014

Can be scary for younger children

The plot and story telling within this film is wonderful, however, some of the puppets and scenarios in the film are quite dark and may not be suitable for young ones. Nonetheless, this film is a treat for lovers of fantasy films, exhibiting the finest puppetry skills in the film industry.

Teen, 14 years old Written byTheComposer January 17, 2011

Go Out and Watch This

I recently watched this movie for the first time in seven years. I remembered liking it as a kid, but then forgetting how well it was made over the years. After re-watching it, I had to revise my top five movie list to make room for this film. Although it may be considered a child's movie, it is absolutely phenomenal. Visually stunning and with an excellent plot, 'The Dark Crystal' is sure to please. I notice that Ela Chavez said that she hated this movie, but she will end up loving it later on in life. My friend also watched it for the first time in many years reluctantly, as he used to be terrified of it. After it ended, I asked what he thought of it, and he looked at me with a shocked face and said: "Oh my G-d! How could I have hated such a wonderful film." Some parents out there seem to love how it has no romance, but I feel that even if it did show romance, they should not be worried. Chances are, your children are going to start being more interested in the opposite sex in a relatively short amount of time, so why not let nature take its course. Brilliant film brought to us by the greatest of them all, Jim Henson.

Kid, 10 years old November 25, 2016

This movie, made by Jim Henson, can be quite suspenseful!

Although this movie is great, it can be very suspenseful at times. In the beginning, there is one death that can make younger kids sad. There are creepy looking creatures. There is also a lot of violence that tweens should be able to handle. This movie is great and your kids should watch it!

Teen, 14 years old Written byTheBeagle May 6, 2017

Scary

If you're a parent, please look up skeksis (I have no clue how to spell it) Dark Crystal. I think the GOOD characters would have been scary to me as a 7-8 year old. The bad characters still seem a little scary to me. Think of this as a muppet horror movie. (its still a Muppet type movie, though, and I've never seen any 'real' horror movies. ) As far as the plot goes, its O.K.
Kid, 10 years old August 29, 2017

The Dark Crystal

The Dark Crystal is a great movie. The movie in my opinion is for kids aged 8 and up as of the following reasons. My first reason is that it contains violence. The violence isn't so bad but it does lead to some sort of death. For example a Skeksis falls down into a hole of some sort leading to his death. Another Skeksis along with another creature (That creature being innocent) falls of a cliff. My second reason is that the movie does contain a scene where one of the Skeksis crumbles away meaning he is dead and upsetting scene where Jen's master dies too. My third reason is abiut how many deaths are in the movie. Luckily there is no blood or gore. Overral this film is great for kids aged 8 and up.

Teen, 13 years old Written bystudent11298 March 26, 2018

Caution! Horror Movie Approaching

This film is spectacular, but there are some parts that have terrorized hundreds of children. Ages 13 and up is the safest bet.

Kid, 11 years old October 3, 2018

Awesome!

I am eleven and watched this movie with my six year old sister and it was great! Although my sister is usually scared by things like this so I had to fast forward some parts. My sister asked a lot of questions so I had to pause a lot but overall it was a great movie. The only downside is that there is a lot of violence. But I love this movie!

Teen, 15 years old Written bysotoren000 June 29, 2018

Enjoyable But Dark Fantasy is Unlike Most Henson Fare.

Its Entertaining but has scary scenes. It has somewhat new twist. Pretty Good. [6.9X] | [PG] (9+) | Rated PG For Fantasy Violence and Brief Mild Language

Teen, 13 years old Written byRhinoGamerHD June 2, 2017

Why don't they do puppets anymore?

This is one of my favourite movies ever! There is no CGI all puppets and sets, weird story but really good. The skeksies, hopefully spelt that right, are kinda scary for a kid but it looks funny too, I'm excited for the netflix series! Overall Great movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byheygirldothatthing September 13, 2018

Great but scary

It's my favorite movie! But it's not good for younger kids, it's scary. But the puppets and scenery are so cool and characters are so lively.