All teen and kid member reviews for The Dark Crystal

Teen, 16 years old Written byclaycoz December 28, 2009

one of the best

when i was a kid and even now i love this movie and i would suggest it to kids getting into fantasy books and movies. There is not allot of violence but there are some disturbing images when the protagonists (the skeksis) suck the life out of the podlings. they do the samething to Kira but never successfully take it. even we high schoolers need a break from all those horror movies and junk. But the best thing about this movie is that there is no political message the director is trying to convey.
Kid, 9 years old March 7, 2011

Awesome!

This was my favorite movie ever! I loved how the good guys and the bad guys were really just 2 of the same life forms. They just look different. Also I think the puppetry is super cool. Also, you ought to see the behind the scenes extra.
Kid, 12 years old November 19, 2015

Beautiful, stunning, and weird. Shouldn't be too scary.

This film absolutely deserves five stars. Yes, you can tell that the characters are puppets, but both the characters and the environment are beautifully designed. This film is also very, very weird, but in a good way. The creatures are unusual and interesting; unlike anything you've seen in a typical fantasy movie before. For example: Fizzgig, a strange furry creature resembling a giant brown fuzzball with a bushy tail. He has a large mouth, which he uses for frequent biting. My favorite, however, is Aughra. She is an ogreish creature, which kind of resembles Miss Piggy as a purple-skinned crone with ram horns, that gives support to Jen and teaches him about the Great Conjuction, when the worlds three suns come together. I also love the plot, which is very simplistic. The plot of this movie shows that in order to be a good movie, a complex plot with constant twists and turns is not always necessary. Sure movies and books with these kinds of plots can be, and often are, good. This story also contains good role models. Jen tries very hard to heal the crystal, and acts in a selfless way. Viewers will also find a strong female character in Kira. *SPOILERS START HERE*Now for the violence: Not much, and not very gruesome (as it is with puppets). The emperor of the Skexis, vile creatures resembling shriveled up humanoid birds, is shown dying in his bed, where he crumbles down. The leader of the Mystics, the gentle counterparts of the Skexis, simply fades away. A Skexi is tossed into lava and dies, the corresponding Mystic spontaneously combusts. An annoying Skexi is stabbed in the hand. The corresponding Mystic's hand bleeds grayish-blackish blood. The garthim, giant beetle-crabs, pillage of village of podlings. The same garthim are shown carrying a net full of podlings, to be used by the Skexis as slaves. Jen and Kira once fall off a cliff, but are saved by Kira's wings. A Skexi scientist drain a podling's essence, where it is chained to chair, mesmerized by a purple beam coming from the crystal, and its liquid essence drips from the podling's body. The scientist later tries doing this to Kira, but Jen rescues her. Jen is once crushed under a pile of rocks (head uncovered), and is able to get out. A tense fight scene, involving being cornered by Skexis and garthim, trying to stop Jen and Kira from healing the crystal is towards the end. During this fight, there is a pit of lava that the main characters try to avoid. Kira is though to have been killed, but is revived in the sunlight. There are a few altercations with the annoying Skexi, who tries the tell Jen and Kira that he wants to help them. However, the violence is not as much as it seems in my review, and really should not be scary. In fact, this is actually a relaxing movie. *SPOILERS END HERE* There is no language, sexual content, or use of alcohol/drugs/tobacco. This should be a fairly family-friendly movie. I recommend it to all families without sensitive little kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byA.M. June 21, 2010

Not for lovers of cute Muppets, but still recommended

this was a great fantasy adventure. There was a little bit of violence: (Spoilers) One of the main characters is murdered at the end. A flashback shows Kira's mother get killed. There is an intence feeling in the movie for youngsters. Crab monsters try to harm the main characters, and the Skeksis duel is scary for some. But the ending is happy. I reccommend this film highly
Teen, 13 years old Written bypicardisbetter April 30, 2015

Some creepy elements, but that's what makes it good

To any parent about to let their child watch this film, go ahead. But fair warning the skeksies and mystics are a little disturbing, not to mention one scene where a character gets stabbed (spoiler) by said skeksy.
Kid, 10 years old April 2, 2012

For adventure loving people

The dark crystal movie is a great, intense, and scary adventure. If you like adventure movies this movie is the right thing to watch. Jim Henson is a good, but not great director.
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 12, 2011

good show

i love the movie! nothing too bad in it
Teen, 17 years old Written byDreamy-Pheonix April 24, 2014

Can be scary for younger children

The plot and story telling within this film is wonderful, however, some of the puppets and scenarios in the film are quite dark and may not be suitable for young ones. Nonetheless, this film is a treat for lovers of fantasy films, exhibiting the finest puppetry skills in the film industry.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygilly_boy January 10, 2012

Could have been better.

It'll be much more impressive if it was animated. The first time I saw Jen on screen, I could already tell he was a poppet as anything else. I have to admit though, the story and art work were great, absolutely incredible. But if you using poppets for a movie, there has got to be some live people like the muppets use. With this movie I see no point in making them poppets. I also like that character that smiles a lot and stalks the heroes. Although I have a problem with that voice, it sounds like the griffen's from the Storyteller. Really high pitched, it can easily hurt someone's ears.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTheComposer January 17, 2011

Go Out and Watch This

I recently watched this movie for the first time in seven years. I remembered liking it as a kid, but then forgetting how well it was made over the years. After re-watching it, I had to revise my top five movie list to make room for this film. Although it may be considered a child's movie, it is absolutely phenomenal. Visually stunning and with an excellent plot, 'The Dark Crystal' is sure to please. I notice that Ela Chavez said that she hated this movie, but she will end up loving it later on in life. My friend also watched it for the first time in many years reluctantly, as he used to be terrified of it. After it ended, I asked what he thought of it, and he looked at me with a shocked face and said: "Oh my G-d! How could I have hated such a wonderful film." Some parents out there seem to love how it has no romance, but I feel that even if it did show romance, they should not be worried. Chances are, your children are going to start being more interested in the opposite sex in a relatively short amount of time, so why not let nature take its course. Brilliant film brought to us by the greatest of them all, Jim Henson.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydanny 7000 August 4, 2015

the dark crystal is not for little kids

i think the dark crystal is an amazing movie but its not for little kids because its really dark a skeksis drains the essence out of a noblet a skeksis falls down a hole and dies a skeksis tries to kill the main character giant beatles attack the characters and the noblets are like a bunch of hippies and theirs a bunch of smoke in their house with that being said i think the dark crystal is aimed at Teens and i don't recommend it for anyone under the age of 13
Kid, 10 years old November 25, 2016

This movie, made by Jim Henson, can be quite suspenseful!

Although this movie is great, it can be very suspenseful at times. In the beginning, there is one death that can make younger kids sad. There are creepy looking creatures. There is also a lot of violence that tweens should be able to handle. This movie is great and your kids should watch it!