Parent reviews for The Darkest Minds

Skilled actors can't save derivative, violent YA thriller.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byBinge W. August 6, 2018

Intense but still good, language was also added into the mix

My MPAA rating: PG-13 for strong scary themes, violence, some language, an attempted assault. For the sex department there wasn’t really much just flirting and kissing. The violence is the thing that got strong there was one attempted r*pe, some strong combat, and strong thematic elements throughout. Plus uses of the S word and ass, Plus a use of a hole.

Parent Written byAllison S. August 13, 2018

11 and 13 year old loved it. Adults too.

Not sure what the 2 star rating is about, but we thought this was wonderful. Action, strong messages, engaged youth that support each other. The violence wasn’t any worse than Hunger Games. In fact, it was less than most movies for this age group (Guardians of the Galaxy was way more violent). We love the relationships between the characters. Well done. We’ve seen it twice.

Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byGeiwhejnevehe August 5, 2018

Great!!

As long as your ok with your children seeing violence, this movie is perfect for any kid! It is filled with action. There is nothing innopropriate besides a little kissing. Barely any cursing but nothing bad. My 11 year old daughter and her friend went to see it and they said they loved it.
Adult Written byTcowan98 August 9, 2018

A great movie that I had no knowledge of when I went in!

Saw “The Darkest Minds” tonight with my father and at first as my title states I was unaware the movie was based off a novel. I went in with no back ground knowledge of the story line and had no idea what to expect I will say some parts I saw coming but I was so excited to see that it turned out the way I guessed. I love the fact that the direction changed the main character ‘Ruby’ to from a Caucasian female to an African American lead this to me added a sense of diversity that we don’t see very often due to the fact that most young adult films and novels have white protagonists, so seeing the change was refreshing. Heck it’s 2018 and times are changing and I praise the films director for making this decision! I am 20 and I am a sucker for romance and I enjoyed the scenes with Liam and Ruby, it wasn’t just a cheesy love story, (there was love don’t get me wrong) but it had love, friendship and action. The movie had strong leads and I really hope that the second book gets picked up! I should also mention that the movie sparked my interest enough to go and look into the series. If the movie isn’t given the chance to have a sequel I’d be a little upset because the end of the movie left me wanting more. I said that if it isn’t picked up for the second movie I’d have to go buy the book to read what happens next but I know myself well enough to say that after that first movie I was already planning to go buy the series anyway! The movie left me wanting more and it sparked my interest enough to see what the heck will happen next! I really do suggest this movie and I ask that all who go see it remain open minded and not to let negative reviews cloud your judgment and affect your decision to not go see the film! Now I won’t say it’s the best film I’ve ever seen but I will say that I’d love to see where the story goes and I sat in the theater wondering why all the seats weren’t filled! I am not usually a person who writes reviews as if I don’t like a movie I just move on with my day and not give it a second thought but the fact that I am writing this is saying something! So once more I ask please just check it out!

Parent of a 13 year old Written bycaribbeandream August 5, 2018

13 yo loved it. Adult thought it was acceptable

I mostly enjoyed the movie through my 13 yo son's eyes. He said it was a really good balance of story and action. I do have to agree with him, and add romance to that balance. It's not a movie I would have gone to see by myself but it's a good movie for teens. As for CSM's concerns, yes, there are deaths, but compared to the many (VERY violent) action movies that come out these days I though the movie did a good job of not going over the top. Without giving away any spoilers, the "seduction" scene CSM mentions did make me cringe a bit. I don't know why the writers/director chose to do what they did when all the male actor "needed" to do for the story to move forward was to kiss Ruby. There rest of the scene was gratuitous sexuality and unnecessary. To end on a positive note though, the four kid/teen characters were good actors and had good chemistry with each other.

Adult Written byNenry banger August 5, 2018
Adult Written byThismoviewasawf... November 16, 2018

This was an awful movie.

This movie was so awful. Not only did they play with my feelings, but they broke my heart. And I thought my ex boyfriend was bad. Nah neva that. Don’t watch this movie it will make you want to kill you self And I completely wasted all my time.
Adult Written bylailalightner564 August 5, 2018

The darkest mind

It just a teen movie that kids will love because of super powers
Adult Written byUNIQUE_EZ_KING August 23, 2018

It is an amazing movie filled with lots of heart felt messages.Jennifer Yuh Nelson should make more sequels for this movie

It's a very good movie. A lot of kids loved it and it has a very amazing message... Jennifer Yuh Nelson should make a sequel for the movie

Adult Written byLilly135 November 25, 2018

Amazing!

My friends and little siblings (who are 11 and older) all loved it!
Adult Written byAmymM August 25, 2018

The darkest minds- really good movie

For people who enjoy movies with romance, action and a supernatural idea to it this is a really good movie to see! I really enjoyed watching this movie and would watch it again! Hopefully it will have a sequel as I think the sequel would be awesome. The movie is also based of books and because I loved the movie so much I’ve even started to read the books. Would defenitly recommend this!!
Adult Written byCvking24 October 6, 2018

Whitewashing

This movie is disappointing. The plot is that of Hunger Games mixed with XMen. The worse part however is that a dark complexed African American girl was casted to play the main character as a child. Somehow, this girl grows up to be a fair complexed young woman. This misleads children to believe that being lighter is better. This day in age this message shouldn’t be given to any child. This huge mistake was actually distracting.

Adult Written byMacy loraz September 1, 2018

Love it!

This movie was amazing..read the books and everything, although it wasn’t exactly like the books. Well what movie is? Although the ratings weren’t the best I would love to see a sequel and would watch this movie a million times if I could.

Adult Written bytam67 August 24, 2018

LOVED IT

one of the best ya book adaptions. every other one apart from the hunger games has been trashed. so happy they stuck closely with the book! please please please give us neverfade!!

Adult Written byHelen M. August 20, 2018

Could have been better...

I like to think I know at least a little something about decent storytelling and plot development. This movie...doesn't really have either. Most of the transitions are awkward and a tad sloppy, and many decisions the characters make in the film don't really add up to previously presented information. That being said, the cast of young up and comings did a surprisingly great job--acting is definitely not the problem with this movie. Some parents may be concerned about the amount of violence in the film, especially considering a huge chunk of it is inflicted on children from adults. One attempted rape is shown [nothing sensitive]. One scene vaguely implies a guard at one of the prisoners may be molesting the main character or other kids. Other, younger children especially may find some of the moments frightening [spoiler: the dangerous, so-called 'red' kids are shown to be more like mutant-killers who don't have control over their own mental faculties; loud growls are emitted as they use their powers and their faces glow red emphasizing the veins in their head and necks]. Parents also do little to nothing to protect their kids in the film, and one parent watches on as his son is tortured in front of him, while screaming and begging his father to save him [spoiler: the father ordered the torture]. No sex, no drugs, or drinking, and surprisingly diverse cast with emphasis on unity and acceptance.

Adult Written bycharleyw August 16, 2018

hunger games

loved it if you liked the hunger games you will like this
Adult Written bySierraxx August 5, 2018

It was alot better then I thought it was going to be

I think it's good for all ages but I recommend 13 and up.