Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Forest

Ghost story has promising start but too many jump-scares.

Parent of a 15 year old Written byJWilliams303 January 7, 2016

Somewhat scary in ways...but not too effective

Maybe not the best movie ever made, but I've seen worse...The Forest was somewhat an effective scary movie to me in some ways, but maybe not as strong of an effect that would give me chills or nightmares after seeing it. Movies that it made me think of were Carnival of Souls, Blair Witch Project, and Oculus in certain ways, but definitely doesn't live up to be as effective as any of the three movies. Not terrible but I wouldn't have too high of hopes for it or else you will leave very disappointed.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byJeHaMo January 12, 2016

Its in Your Head!

This is a psychological thriller as a twin searches for her missing sister in a haunted forest. Moderate blood and guts, almost no adult romance, just plenty of "who the heck" is "real" and who is just "crazy" to contemplate from start to end. Some swear words, but at appropriate times.
Adult Written byGordan M. August 22, 2016

A movie about mental illness rather than horror.

The Forest while billed as a horror film, is more along the line of a psychological thriller that studies mental illness. The main protagonist of the story Sara is very clearly mentally ill. We can see this from the fact Sara claims she speaks to Jess all the time, yet Rob her supposed fiance says he's never heard of her and doesn't look surprised that Sara is going to Japan. He looks concerned, however. How concerned? Well it was obvious to me that Sara is the only daughter, and that this other girl Jess is made up in her head and isn't even real. Further proof of this comes in the fact the picture of her and Jess, is just a picture of herself anytime the camera is out of focus. That she ever has had a twin sister is really a stretch when you see that the students call her Jess when she walks in. They claim to have met her before, before she went into Suicide Forest and can't believe she's alive. Again, this is further made evident by the fact Aiden makes repeated references to the fact he's never heard of Jess. Yet there are pictures of Sara with darker hair, on Aiden's phone. The original curator at the Lodge before entering the Forest claims that Jess is dead, and also doesn't seem to act like she ever existed. When Sara insists to her that her sister is here she refuses to acknowledge her, as though looking at a crazy person. Also the dreams Sara has that repeat, only show one girl going down the stairs...Which is Sara/Jess. When she has the nightmare about that same night with the Tent, she opens the Tent where the shadows of two girls lies...But only one girl with a demonic face is revealed. It is Sara, because Sara has what I term disassociated personality disorder. Jess is completely made up in her head, and this is why even Michi says he's never heard of Jess but thinks Sara may have been around before. Because Sara cannot cope with the fact she IS Jess, she is preyed upon by the Forest Demons who know her weakness and told to kill Aiden. The hand writing on the note that she finds, is Sara's same hand writing. Because Jess is inside her and her parents truly did kill themselves. This is why Sara has a split personality disorder, and is so fascinated by suicide...It's also the only explanation as to why she is so easily tricked into going down the stairs to face the fact her parents shot themselves...and then kills herself. And this is why only Jess leaves the forest, and Michu acts like he's talking to Sara. He says with a concerned look, Sara, are we leaving? And then shakes his head...and says "Jess..?" Again, Jess/Sara claims that "Sara is dead..I can no longer hear her inside me." Which is proof that Sara never existed as she is a split personality disassociated from Jess. When Sara accepts that her family died by suicide, that is when the Sara part dies...And only Jess remains. And that is proof that Sara/Jess was mentally ill at the onset.

Parent of a 4 year old Written byclovek July 29, 2016

What's the fuss?

This seriously isn't that bad! Esther and I love horror movies and watched it last night. I've allowed her to write a review now: "i relly licked the forst and think ther ar not to many jumpy bits." (she's not the best at spelling...)
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byKeegs M December 21, 2016

Predicatble, Spooky, Umimpressing Horror Flick

The Forest didn't impress me as much as the trailer did. In my opinion the film was predictable. I knew what would happen before it did. I enjoyed the sudden scares, but they began to grow abundant and that did it for me. The ending was not to my liking, though I have seen worse. The introduction though was great. The film has the proper gore it needs being a film about suicide and emotional pain (wrist wounds, cuts, characters stabbed, maggots, hanging bodies, gunshot wounds). There was no sex which was good to see, and little cussing. This film isn't one of my favorites. I didn't like it much, and I wouldn't watch it again. I would recommend if you have the time. If it's among other choices, don't bother.
Adult Written bydanielleandrea February 13, 2016

Trailer is Scarier than Movie.

Honestly. The movie does have a lot of jump scares and suspense but overall it's not as good as they make it out to be in the trailer. Walking out of the theater I was actually kind of disappointed, of the ending most of all. I was expecting more, a longer, scarier movie, but I was wrong. It's okay, not 5-star material, barely a 3-star.