Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009)

Graphic sexual violence in thrilling, subtitled crime drama.

Adult Written bychristian2011 December 11, 2012

Dark, violent Swedish thriller meant for mature audiences.

This movie is about a genius female hacker named Lisbeth, whom despite her gothic appearence, attempts to help a male journalist solve the mystery of a woman named Harriet, who is thought to have disappeared or have some revelations to her side of the family, the Vangers. Near the end of the film, it reveals very shocking secrets that (SPOILERS) her own brother is a psychopathic serial killer who has intense hatred towards women, caused from the education of her satanic abusive father. This film contains graphic violence and explicit sex scenes, including grisly photos of mutilated naked women by the killer, a graphic brutal rape scene which clocks in around 2 minutes, and a group of men viciously attack a woman in a subway. Language is strong but infrequent (f**k, sh*t, c**t, d**k). The main character is a chain smoker, and some scenes of alcoholic drinking.

Parent of a 13 and 18+ year old Written byWayne G. December 15, 2013

Too Much For Anyone To Handle

DO NOT LET YOUR CHILDREN WATCH THIS MOVIE. I cannot stress how inappropriate the whole thing is. I mistakenly let my child, a James Bond fan watch this with no prior research. I only caught it about forty minutes in and made him turn it off. From what I did see, I made a big mistake. SO MUCH sex and violence.

Adult Written byFilmFanatic October 21, 2013

Fabulous movie, but some hard to watch scenes. Good discussion topics for older teens.

The only real shocker in this film is the on screen rape and forced oral sex on the main character, and the idea of numerous women being raped, tortured and killed by a sadistic nazi serial killer (Some bodies are shown, but its not as bad as the aforementioned rape scene). It is also said that a young girl was abused sexually by her family members, one of which is a teen boy. The revenge that the main female protagonist takes against her rapist is also quite disturbing. She ties him up, forces (and then later kicks) a sex toy up his rectum, and tattoos the words "I am a sadistic pig and a rapist" on his chest. If you (or your child) can handle these scenes then the rest of the film should be a breeze. Theres a good amount of strong language throughout but its not constant and is well placed. The main female protagonist smokes CONSTANTLY and has an almost gothic, edgy appearance that can be impressionable on teens. The makeup and clothes are fine but I could easily see teens picking up smoking/body modifications as a result of watching this. Aside from all the negativity, Lisbeth is a great protagonist and a pretty good role model (to an extent). She gets sexually abused and had a hard life as a child, but is still smart and usually has a good moral standing. After watching this movie with your teen, you could possibly talk about sexual abuse, how it affects Lisbeth's character and if she makes the right decisions regarding revenge. You could then talk to them about preventing rape and what to do if it ever happens to them. The movie may be disturbing at times, but its message rings true and these kinds of things DO happen. Best your son/daughter is knowledgeable about them, but obviously at the right age.

Adult Written byJulia from Sweden March 29, 2012

Good film

It's a bit violent, but like emmaa96 I want to give a Swedish perspective on this. Most parents in Sweden don't think films of this nature are bad for mature kids, and anyone over 15 can watch this on their own - that's a censor's guideline.

Adult Written byZany Mom December 27, 2011

Bad Parent of the Year Award.

Well, I took my 19 year old daughter to it, who is okay with mysteries and especially enjoys comedies and love stories. We originally wanted to see War Horse or Mission Impossible and they were sold out. I was intrigued by the TV ads of this movie and it had available seats, so we went to that instead. Well the first hour progressed well with nothing I felt was awful. Then the sex scenes started and went from bad to just awful and horrible and I wanted to take my sweet daughter out the door! Of course, I didn't and felt horrible about it the rest of the movie and all the next day. I apologized to her as it wasn't her kind of movie even though she was 19, but she went along with me. Since I blew it, I wanted other parents to know who might want to see this with their child who likes Stephen King or Spielberg movies that this IS NOT one of those type movies and I would not make that mistake again. I did, however, enjoy the story line and the characters myself and just wish they could have gotten their point across without being so sexually graphic. Probably my bad because I didn't research the movie ahead of time.
Adult Written byverum December 18, 2011

Intense and well made

After reading the book, I wasn't so sure that the movie would stack up. But I was wrong. The film did the book justice. There is a lot of sexuality and violence (and sexual violence), but it is in no way glorified. In addition to the crime-thriller plot, the film explores the emotional effects of those affected by sex-crimes. It has strong characters searching for justice. My only concern right now: will the American remake of this film be as good?

Adult Written bykhan2705 April 9, 2011

an excellent engaging crime thriller, loved it.

Forty years ago, Harriet Vanger disappeared from a family gathering on the island owned and inhabited by the powerful Vanger clan. Her beloved uncle is convinced it was murder and that the killer is a member of his own tightly knit but dysfunctional family. He employs disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist and the tattooed and troubled but resourceful computer hacker Lisbeth Salander to investigate. When the pair link the disappearance of Harriet to a number of grotesque murders from almost forty years ago, they begin to unravel a dark and appalling family history. The Vangers are a secretive clan, and Blomkvist and Salander are about to find out just how far they are prepared to go to protect themselves. well finally i saw this much talked about and hyped Swedish movie of past year. i was so excited and was glad that finally i was seeing it. i am not sure about watching the rest of the two movies, they weren't well recieved with critics and i have to watch some more foreign language movies and that will increase the burden so. watching this movie was all the good buzz and ofcourse there is gonna be a Hollywood remake of it directed by David Fincher. well i must say all the buzz arround this movie was worth it man. i should tell you that this movie is now one of my most favorite movie of past years and among the foreign language movies i have seen. i haven't read the novel on which this movie is based but it must be phenomenol. this marks Second Swedish movie i have seen after Let The Right One In, which again was awsome. well this movie stars Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace. Noomi's character was outstanding, her get up was superb and her performance was amazing. this movie was little but uneasy to watch because of the female abuse and stuff. i must say this movie was extremely edgy and very thrilling. it had the chilling effect on me. phenomenol movie and a near perfect modern classic. Story of this movie makes this movie what it is and the way it has been handeled is just outstanding, screenplay is very engaging, good plot written very well. editing of this movie is excellent. cinematography is marvellous, everything else is good too. Noomi did a superb job, i liked her get up too. this movie is now one of my favorite movies. i know most of you guys would have even seen the thw whole Triology but if you are planning to watch this movie, i would say go ahead. Two thumbs way high up for this movie.

Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byPatrickG February 10, 2011
While this is definitely NOT a children's movie, it is a very good film. The heroine is a conflicted person with a very hard past and yet still works to bring justice to a rogue corporation. She is a bit extreme in how she administers justice to some.

Adult Written bynaalehu January 1, 2011
I loved the intelligence of the protagonists and their desire for justice. I do not watch violent or sexual movies or read books of that nature, so this was an eye-opener. I bought the Dragon Tattoo DVD's because I had trouble reading the books (recommended by a reading buddy) because of all of the Swedish names and places. I have to say that the DVD's were excellent -- disturbing like the book, but well done. They keep you on the edge of your seat the entire during the entire film