Kid reviews for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009)

Graphic sexual violence in thrilling, subtitled crime drama.

Teen, 17 years old Written bydainkonon August 10, 2015

Pretty good

Really good movie from the best selling book, but so many things are skiped.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycerealkiller189 December 16, 2011

Best film in the Millenium trilogy.

I won't lie but there were some parts in the film which were pretty gruesome and intense I saw this when I was 8 and my brother was 3 He was screaming throughout and covering his eyes,he even vomitted at one part There are 2 scenes which I HEAVILY recommend parents look out for. 1- The scene where Noomi Rapace gets ra*ed.We don't really see much,but her screams and the mans sadistic remarks are very brutal and disturbing. 2.Noomi Rapace gets revenge on the same man.She lures him to her apartment then points a gun at him and forces him to get down before f***ing him the same way he did and shoving a d**do(a s*x toy) up his buttocks.EXTREMELY INTENSE AND GRAPHIC. 3.Torture scenes. I recommend this is for 11 and very mature teens but if your child really wants to see it,you should explain the graphic content first and supervise them when they watch it.Although you must be at least 13+ to appreciate this .It is a very complicated and in depth crime thriller which many kids will not be able to understand so I don't think kids will enjoy this.I managed to get the story only after watching it 3 times and realized its a great thriller to get you on the edge of your seat biting your nails.I have seen all 3 movies in the Millenium trilogy and I think this is the best.I highy recommend that you buy the normal version just to test if your child is ready for such content.If you think your child can handle mature content,he or she can watch the extended version( uncut) which offers loads more content not seen in the normal.I watched this on uncut and cut and the uncut has about 30 minutes worth of content that was cut out from the original version . In order of best to worst: 1.(best) this 2.the girl who kicked the hornets nest 3.(worst) the girl who played with fire Enjoy! Cerealkiller189
Teen, 14 years old Written byemmaa96 July 11, 2011

Some Swedish thoughts from a 14-year-old...

Hello, I thought I'd bring some Swedish thoughts to this. I live in Sweden and watched this movie for the first time in my life the other day, at a friend's house. When I told her I hadn't watched the movie she looked at me like I was crazy. Here, most people older than 13 have watched the movie at least once, and parents don't think it's a big problem. Maybe they're a bit worried since it's not really a pleasant movie, but before you watch it you know that it won't be like a romantic comedy with Hilary Duff or some Disney star. And yes, there are plenty of things that little kids shouldn't watch, but I think most people who are at least 13 years old can watch it. Of course not everybody, but there are always exceptions. The movie doesn't contain anything I haven't heard about before, and the language is the smallest problem. If parents wants to protect their children from that language, they have to ground their kids until they're adults, because I guarantee you that they hear that kind of language every day in high school, maybe middle school too. Even though it was unpleasant to watch, I loved it and it's definately my favourite Swedish movie. Usually I dislike Swedish movies but this one was great. Can't wait to see the Hollywood version of it with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara, hopefully it's as good as the original=)

Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ September 30, 2015
Teen, 17 years old Written byLcoreviews2 December 20, 2011

Thriller Good for older teens

This movie is incredible and very VERY disturbing. if your child is mature and can handle things above and beyond his/her age, Consider it but there are undeniably some scenes with Gross and brutal amounts of Violent sexual content, in which you will want to send them out of the room

Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag July 11, 2012

Excellent Swedish crime drama contains graphic sexual violence. Kids beware!

(This review is about the Extended Edition) You need to know that "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is nothing you can compare to a Hollywood movie. It is a Swedish film adaption from a Swedish novel and of course there are cultural differences. The camera doesn't cut away from things that are quite violent and rough. The movie tells the story of Lisbeth Salander, who at first sight looks like an antagonist. She has piercings, tattoos and is pretty unemotional. Throughout the movie we see why she became who she is and we can understand her. At the same time, we hear the story of Mikael Blomqvist, a journalist working for the magazine "Millennium", whose mission it is to solve a crime that has been commited 40 years ago. Both plot lines cross each other and towards the middle of the movie, it becomes one plot. You can see from the movie's structure that they did not tried to make this movie the international success it finally became, and so you have to be aware that you will not get a Hollywood-drama if you watch this film. Noomi Rapace is great as the troubled hacker Lisbeth Salander and should have been nominated for an Oscar. From the beginning to the end she looks like a woman you don't want to mess with, and fits perfectly for her role. The screenplay is just perfectly written and the movie's tempo is fine, because it is neither too lengthy nor too short. The cinematography was just perfect and the whole plot was interesting. "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is one of the last decade's best movies and is an excellent thriller overall. However, this is NOT a kid's movie. The movie deals with rape, violence against women (the Swedish original title means "Men who hate women"), racism, revenge and homophobia. None of this is depicted glorifying, but it is very graphic and hard to watch. (SPOILERS may follow:) A woman is forced to perform oral sex on a man in order to get money. We do not see any nudity but it is clearly visible what happens. A woman is cuffed to a bed and is then raped. We don't see any nudity, but it is shown in detail. The woman takes revenge when raping the man by shoving a sex toy up his anus. She then takes a tattoo machine and carves "I am a rapist pig" into his belly. A man with a rope around his neck is almost hung to death. A man is burned alive. Several photographs of bloody corpses. In one scene, we see one lying on the ground (though it is not really there, only to show where the body was found). (END OF SPOILERS). "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" takes a lot of maturity because of its graphic sexual violence. Better watch it before letting your kids watch it. You perhaps need to talk to them first. Older teenagers around 16 should handle it, if they are mature enough.

Teen, 16 years old Written bysamcsmovies March 4, 2012

Graphic, but Great

I should start this off by saying this movie is extremely graphic. There are torture scenes, murder scenes, rape scenes, guns, nudity... But it is far from gratuitous sex or violence; these scenes play an intricate part in the theme of the movie and without them the strong message about the targeting of women and the psychological effects of abuse would not be as potent. The movie also has a suspenseful plot with sudden twists and it leaves you wanting more from the movie but the end of it. I'm giving it this rating because I think the movie might be too much for anyone under 16, but it really depends on the maturity and sensitivity of your child-- some 15 year olds might be okay with it while some 18 year olds might be extremely shocked. FYI The newest 2011 version of this movie (I haven't seen this new one) seems to be much more graphic, judging by the reviews.
Teen, 17 years old Written byqueenclo1 July 22, 2013

A little too realistic and gruesome for some, but has an important message

I read all of the books when I was 15 years old and watched the Swedish films as I finished each. My parents didn't mind that I was doing this, as they felt it was a good idea for me to understand that bad things like the events of the movie do happen. The violence is quite heavy. The sexual violence is disturbing, especially for some. Mind you the original Swedish title translates to "Men Who Hate Women." Women are victimized multiple times through the course of the story and the series, as are some men. For older teens, this film does present the opportunity to talk about sexual violence and rape culture so that both young men and women know how to protect themselves from this and how to prevent it.

Teen, 16 years old Written byThat90sguy July 15, 2012

Very disturbing, very gripping movie

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO is a very good, yet highly disturbing movie that is NOT for kids. It deals with rape, torture, hangings, mutilated bodies, and many more disturbing elements making this movie very hard to wacth. If you do overcome them, you will find yourself wacthing a great movie. The characters act very well, such as Noomi, who stands up for herself and does not let anything take advantage of her. The intensity of the movie never lets up, you're always wondering what would happen next, and I was having a hard time not lightening up because I was gripping the edge of my seat because of it. This is a very good movie, but because of the intensity and themes of the movie, I recommend this only to older teens and adults.

Teen, 15 years old Written byShadowhunter95 June 30, 2011

Great Movie, Tons of Explicit Scenes

Loved the movie, but if you let your kids watch this you must be insane or extremely sick minded.