Parent reviews for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

English-language remake includes extreme violence and sex.

Parent Written byIan F. April 5, 2018

An Excellent Film...For Adults

Rating a film like this has everything to do with the audience and little to do with any specifics of content. It should surprise no one who has heard of the novel or followed the film's production that it contains quite visceral scenes/discussion of rape, torture, murder, sex, nudity, and a few other things on the usual content watch list. The film is undoubtedly hard R. If you are trying to justify the movie for an audience younger than 18+ you are missing the point. It is NOT a movie for kids. In every way it is a movie for ADULTS. It's a very well crafted and carefully acted film that I like but I will like never suggest watching it with my son at any age.

Adult Written byMariam F. July 26, 2017
Adult Written bysweet_lily_850 January 31, 2016

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

On the story The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, is a very good book, but some of the language is inappropriate for some little kids. The author of this book did put a lot of details and some main ideas in the story, but it would be better if teens read it though.. There are some bad scenes in the book or movie, please don't watch the movie unless your older or at least a teen! There was a trial, where it all started with Mickael Blomkvist. It seems as everywhere he goes news reporters were arround, it was quiet annoying. The people asked him so many questions, for one thing Blomkvist did not answered all of them, either that or he would ignored them all. It was wildly suspenseful, an intelligent, and plotted thriller, Lisbeth Salander. She was 24 years old, and a tattooed genius of that matter. She was an artist, when it comes to tattoos. When Lisbeth and Mickael met there was something alike a society, where they have their own aspects of there own lives. There's lots of secrets hidden to be discovered in this story, if you want to know what happened next, read to find out.

Adult Written byfilmmaster93 March 23, 2014

Adult Written byFilmFanatic October 21, 2013

Thought provoking but dark and disturbing

The only real shocker in this film is the on screen rape and forced oral sex on the main character, and the idea of numerous women being raped, tortured and killed by a sadistic nazi serial killer (Some bodies are shown, but its not as bad as the aforementioned rape scene). It is also said that a young girl was abused sexually by her family members, one of which is a teen boy. The revenge that the main female protagonist takes against her rapist is also quite disturbing. She ties him up, forces (and then later kicks) a sex toy up his rectum, and tattoos the words "I am a pig and a rapist" on his chest. THERE IS ALSO A SCENE IN WHICH A CAT IS KILLED AND IS LEGS ARE BROKEN TO FORM A NAZI SYMBOL. The cat is in a good part of the first half of the movie, so his death is pretty traumatic. We don't see the actual killing, just the gory aftermath. If you (or your child) can handle these scenes then the rest of the film should be a breeze. Theres a good amount of strong language throughout but its not constant and is well placed. The main female protagonist smokes CONSTANTLY and has an almost gothic, edgy appearance that can be impressionable on teens. The makeup and clothes are fine but I could easily see teens picking up smoking/body modifications as a result of watching this. Aside from all the negativity, Lisbeth is a great protagonist and a pretty good role model (to an extent). She gets sexually abused and had a hard life as a child, but is still smart and usually has a good moral standing. After watching this movie with your teen, you could possibly talk about sexual abuse, how it affects Lisbeth's character and if she makes the right decisions regarding revenge. You could then talk to them about preventing rape and what to do if it ever happens to them. The movie may be disturbing at times, but its message rings true and these kinds of things DO happen. Best your son/daughter is knowledgeable about them, but obviously at the right age.

Adult Written bysipinii October 17, 2013

Dark and violent but in the end the evil people get punished.

It has really disturbing rape scene and after that a revenge scene in which the earlier victim (female) forces the rapist to watch a video of the earlier rape. She also kicks a sex toy violently in his anus and tattoos a text "I'm a rapist pig" on his chest. Nothing is shown or claimed to be a positive doing but it could be said that the rapist got what he deserved. Abuse of women is the main theme of this movie and the name of original book - The men who hate women - only confirms it. It really shows how horrible thing rape is, so I could even say that it has a positive message. It's obviously a feminist movie and even if you don't like the character of Salander, you can admit that things happening to her are just wrong. It's a very dark movie but in the end the good guys win the bad guys. The ending is still sad and the tone of the movie is dark and disturbing so I would recommend this movie for those who already acknowledge that rape exists in our world.

Adult Written bydavyborn December 10, 2012

Thrills, chills and eroticism abound. No young teens.

David Fincher's 2011 American-version adaptation of the bestsller novel trilogy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, was released just last Christmas season, and, while it did go on to just barely pass the one-hundred-million dollar mark at the U.S. box office, which, technically is considered to make it a success, was still not enough for everyone's much higher and more positive outlook on it's box office activity. Still, while it garnered generally positive reviews from most critics and audiences, even I have to admit, myself, that, upon the film's first viewing, it leaves you with a fairly moderate feel of polarization. It is a film that is made with a big budget, a very good director in David Fincher who sports an excellent but almost equally polarizing track-record (Fight Club, Seven), a decent cast made up of Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Christopher Plummer, Stellen Skarsgaard, Anne Hech, Robin Wright, and more, and yet, the film doddles in such a shocking array of violence, sexuality and brutallity that it is such a jaw-dropping film, upon first viewing. Upon, the second, third, and multiple other viewings, however, I found that, at an almost interminable 158- minute-running time, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo manages to be a film that envelopes a fascinating, yet haunting mystery, a large amount of widely-developed characters, plenty of heated messages of both violence towards men, women, (animals), and just plain people in general. Now, while some of you may not know the basic plot of the film, I guess that I might as well spell it out for you, all: This film, underneath all of it's layers of glam, grit and sadisim, is a mystery, involving a reclusive millionaire and his family, who, for the past forty-years, has been wondering what happened to his niece, who was mysteriously kidnapped all those years ago. Now, being called in to investigate, is a disgraced editor of a popular Swedish magazine, and, with the help of one rather troubled (to say the extreme least) gothic, bi-sexual, trouble bound hacker, they must discover whta happened to the missing girl after all of those years, but, in the mean time, the main characters, primarily the one of the hacker, named Lisbeth Salander, deal with there own interwoven issues, which, of course, her's are more serious than most. Now, is this film good? Well, if for absolutely nothing else, this film is a extremely well acted, well made, well directed, and, again, despite it's overlong-running time, which is mainly twenty-minutes longer to tie up a few loose ends near the film's close, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is certainly one of the more multilayered mystery films out there, and, having actually read the novel and seen the three other Swedish films, I will say that this film is a remarkably good attempt, at the least. But, while some teens may be intreaged by the films popular novels, big cast, budget, production and directors credits, parents must be fully aware that this film is with out a doubt, a very hard R Rating, and that, without a few close calls, it could have very well received an NC-17: This film contains several instances of graphic and extreme violence, but, to be honest, it is almost always teamed with sex; Throughout the film, we see photos of grisly murders of women, including rape, mutilation and dismemberment, but, this film also includes, underneath all of the violence, and killing, explicit rape, which will definitely be hard to watch for most, the rape victims revenge against the perpetrator, which inlcudes having a large sex toy shoved into his behind and a crude message tattooed onto his chest; add to that, multiple strong sex scenes with full thrusting, nudity and activity on dipslay, including even several other scenes-here-and-there, containing female nudity of both breasts and buttocks, and this film definitely earns it's harsh rating. Also, while not nearly as bad as both the violence and sex, the film does inlcude some infrequent but strong profanity, including about 25 uses of the F-word, but, it also includes several uses each of sh-t, cr-p,a--h-le and more, as well. So, is the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a decent enough adaptation of the much loved novel trilogy and Swedish films? Well, that is up to you to decide, but, personally, I enjoyed it thoroughly for what it is: A smart, trashy piece of cinema. Reccomended.

Adult Written byNeonKennedy June 17, 2012

Intriguing, suspenseful, and gratifying.

Adult Written byKatie2013 May 20, 2012

Late teens can give it a go

I saw this movie when I was sixteen, and I was completely fine. It's a great film. Sixteen year olds understand the concept of rape, and if they find it uncomfortable, even some adults do, they can avert their eyes. It's a thrilling movie.

Adult Written byTony632 April 19, 2012

Adult Written byThe_Reaper 6184 March 22, 2012

Definitely R-Rated Material

Adult Written byShortswald March 2, 2012

????????

This film is truly slow, graphic and degrading. The film is strong and brutally graphic on SEX and VIOLENCE. There is a strong graphic rape scene of the titular character and then she gets her revenge. While the actress gives a great performance, the character is nothing but likable. She smokes, drinks, has sex with anyone she sees, and she enjoys pain. The other character is boring, dull and we don't know much about him. I think the message deals with the consequences of domestic violence. There is a lot of swearing with this movie, NO KIDS should see this movie. It sort of alienates you because none of the characters are good guys, it is long but not much happens in this movie.When the film ended I was scratching my head, is this it? All this hype for what...for NOTHING!!!! I was seriously disappointed with this movie.

Parent Written byMom Of 2-4 February 28, 2012

Don't see this movie.

This movie was so violent and awful. Not worth seeing, no matter how good you think the story/mystery is. Horrific. I think that violence can be assumed without having to show every graphic detail.
I can't believe the ages of the kids that have seen this movie, this is a movie for people over 21. How did kids see this movie? Did parents actually take them?! This should never have been an R movie to begin with.
If we keep pushing the bar lower and lower where does that leave us? Kids should stay kids as long as possible. This is abusive to let children of any age, even teens, see this movie.

Adult Written byswaterfield February 3, 2012

Read the book first!

If you go into this movie without reading the book first, you will be shocked. Being true to the book, the movie doesn't downplay the scene with the rape. The ending was different from the novel, but for the most part it stayed true to what had been written. I enjoyed the movie, but I went in knowing what to expect.

Adult Written byMama's always right January 29, 2012

Keep your kids home.

As an educator and a parent of a girl, I was deeply impacted by this movie. While I loved the book and enjoy a good murder mystery, the scenes were overly graphic and horrifying. There was uneccessary violence, detailed rapes and obvious displays of marketing propaganda. Several times I walked out of the theatre for a break or covered my eyes. Why would you subject your children to that kind of feeling? I'm sorry I paid my hard earned money to only go home disgusted. My husband and I will spend more date nights at home together as a family.

Parent of a 3-year-old Written byPenguinMama January 25, 2012

Beautiful film for VERY mature audiences only

This movie is not for children, period. The intensity of the plot and its theme isn't really covered in all of the blurbs online. As another reviewer pointed out, this is a movie (and a series) about violence against women and the destruction it causes. Violence against children too, as two of the main characters are victims of incest as teens. Heavy, heavy stuff that blows the worst levels of Law & Order SVU plot twists and terrible monsters completely out of the water.

People who have not read the book might have a hard time following the plot, I found myself having to explain and clarify quite a bit afterward. For me, having read the book and knowing the outcome of several situations made the difficult points, specifically the rape scene which is very long and uncomfortable, much easier to sit through.

As far as a movie, however, it was stunning. The score is beautiful and haunting, same for the cinematography. Rooney Mara definitely poured herself into the Lisbeth character and deserves her Oscar nom. The characters themselves are kind of scoundrels, Daniel Craig's character much more so in the book, and using flawed characters to convey such a serious message, while realistic, is a little distracting.

Parent of a 13 and 15-year-old Written bywrightmom January 16, 2012

Read the book first

To parents who brought their under 17 children, why did you not research it first if you have such a problem with it. That is why it is rated "R". I read the book first so I know I don't want my 15-year-old daughter seeing it. While some of the movie may be over the top, women are raped and abused daily. Don't shun movie because you brought your teenagers and should not have. Also if you put a review on this site, why did you not read the review here first that said not suitable for kids.
Parent of a 14 and 17-year-old Written bybraz21 January 14, 2012

Book first, movie later

A powerful movie, but not for kids under 17 or 18, and then mature older teens at that. This is a complex plot with many adult themes. Recommend that parents read the book and see the movie with their kids.
Adult Written bymomoffourinaustin January 14, 2012

Great Movie for adults or very mature 17 or 18 year olds.

Cutting-edge direction and music. Great Movie for adults or very mature 17 or 18 year olds to discuss social problems.