Kid reviews for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

English-language remake includes extreme violence and sex.

Teen, 17 years old Written bywawity July 30, 2014
As most of David Fincher's movies, this remake to the 2009 Swedish film is very dark and disturbing.
The movie's main focus is constant violence towards women. Therefore, it threats themes such as rape and murder in a very explicit way. For example, one of the main characters is shown being raped in a long and very unpleasant scene. It can be shocking even for a 17 years old.
The atmosphere is dark and Fincher's storytelling talents constantly remind us that all this violence exists and that it's not always easy to recognize good from evil. You must realize that even though Fincher's movies carry a message, it's often dark and no so optimistic.
Here the main characters are very human, which make the pain more real but yet easier to accept... Or does it?
The movie is well made though, and its photographic beauty and intense scenes will keep you entertained and curious all the way through.

Teen, 16 years old Written byOerwcnuh September 23, 2019

Teen, 13 years old Written bymatthewm_06 February 15, 2019

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Review

It was just ok. Rooney Mara was very good, and so was Daniel Craig, which shiws that they work well together. But the first hour was kind of bland. Yes it got good at the end, but half of it was fairly boring. So for that I give this 3 stars.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAlexaWright September 16, 2018

Not for the light of heart but a very good movie

I’m a 13 year old girl and I saw this movie with my mom after reading all of the books. Yes this movie has graphic sex and rape along with extreme amount of disgusting violence including a dead cat with its legs broken and a lot of pictures of dead woman. The sex and rape scenes are definitely visible with all body parts visible and people are forced into sex of all kinds including Oral and Anal. At one point Lisbeth shoves and kicks a sex toy into someone’s butt. It’s an amazing movie even with this. I think if you child is mature enough to handle this they should be able to watch it.

Teen, 13 years old Written bykaliweb July 23, 2018

Extremely Slow, Disappointing Ending

This movie is very slow and has a forgettable and rather sad ending, reminding us that we don’t always get what we want. It has extremely graphic rape and sexual content and bad language is present. I am 13 and watch most every movie unless it’s focus is mainly sex or just doesn’t interest me, but I am very mature. I would say 14 if your child has a deep understanding of things and can look away at brutal moments. The whole story is upsetting, slow, and violent. I would not recommend.

Teen, 17 years old Written byMrFoxLovesMovies November 30, 2017

A Dark Drama / Detective Thriller from David Fincher. Not for kids or younger teens.

Extremely interesting protagonist. Played fantastically by Rooney Mara. But features too much violence and brutal sex scenes (including rape) . Not at all appropriate for anyone under the age of 17.

Teen, 15 years old Written byHarry.trax April 30, 2017

Sexual content in well-made but slow thriller!

Violence and Gore : 4/5
Sex and nudity: 5/5
Language: 4/5
Frightening images and terror: 3/5
Total: 16/20 Age: 17+ For violence including rape and torture, strong sexual content , graphic nudity and language .

Teen, 15 years old Written byimoviegoteen July 22, 2016

This book to movie adaptation is phenomenal, but most defiantly NOT for your teens.

Sex, drugs, nudity, language, torture, hardcore rape, violence--this movie has it all.
I will admit, as a 15 year old, when I saw this at 14 I was not expecting what I saw. I expected some sex, but I had NO idea about the rape. It came to me as a huge shock when I saw Lisbeth get chained with handcuffs to a bed and brutally raped. I will say, I'm always very mature when it comes to films.
Language- Quite frankly, I was expecting much more language than the maybe 10 F-words I heard. This was one of the biggest shocks for any R rated film I've ever seen. You know, nowadays films rated R have 50-100 F words, so for a film this violent; I can't lie, I honestly expected this film to have much more. Lisbeth does where a shirt that says about 4 F-words on it.
Sex- Sex itself isn't a big issue in the film, its the rape. The sexual scene between Daniel and Rooney is explicit (female breasts and buttocks). Two girls wake up naked in bed in the morning (breasts only shown). But, it's the rape scene you need to be HIGHLY cautious about! The rape scene is very explicit and possibly will bring tears to your eyes that this is what the world's come to. It's very sad that young girls have to worry about this, and even as a teen boy, I still feared.
Nudity- Breasts and buttocks.
So, the film The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is highly explicit, but is defiantly a great thriller for adults to catch onto. But, remember, this movie is a very HARD R type film, only for the teens that you're positive can handle this kind of thematic material!

Teen, 16 years old Written bySean Broucek May 18, 2013

Great, But Violent And Sexual

This Movie Is Well-Made, With Good Acting, But The Over The Top Violence, Drug And Alcohol Use, Language, and Sex Is Too Much For Teens. There is rape. Torture, explosions, bloody beatings, killings, suicides, and an image of a mutilated cat in the way of violence. There is repetitive use of drugs and drunkenness. In language, there is 209 uses of f--k ( the most uses of the F word in any movie made in the 21st century) and one use of c--t and c--sucker each. In sexuality, there is violent rapes, full-frontal female nudity, graphic sex scenes, and references to sexual violence. Rated NC-17 For Brutal Violent Material Including Torture & Rape, Strong Sexuality, Graphic Nudity, Pervasive Language & For Drug Use
Teen, 15 years old Written bymovie/gamefan December 21, 2012

The girl with the dragon tattoo review-rated R

The american version of the hit Swedish film saga is just as violent as the other films. But the film is kinda boring never want to see it again. i like the remix of immigrant song (led zeppelin)

Kid, 11 years old December 1, 2012

FOR 15 & UP

So there's some drinking and violence, so what??? That doesn't stop this movie from being visionary and breathtaking. Does include some sexual activity, including girl-to-girl and man-to-girl sexuality, along with one scene including girls butt and b***s, with one rape that shows no mature content accept overwhelming screams, and one vulgar tattoo imprinting on a naked man's chest and a few highly-disturbing images, but nothing else. My MPAA Rating - PG-13 For Brief Strong Language, Sexuality & Mature Violence

Teen, 17 years old Written byPrincessCharmed797 November 26, 2012

It's a good movie.

Ok, I loved this movie! I am now currently reading the books, & it is a great movie & it shows that it's ok to be your own person & you will go far in life with whoever you are, & i also think that Lisbeth is a great role model because it shows that you don't have to live up to anyone standers but your own. But that being said it is not for kids under the age of 10 i think, just a little to sexually. :)

Teen, 15 years old Written byjeremybusbee October 28, 2012

What is entertainment coming to?!?!?

well first off this is a good movie if u like crime and SVU shows, but u need to know this is not your walk in the park law and order, it strong storyline and a positive message of letting justice take place, but it can get overshadowed by all the violence.

Teen, 16 years old Written byThat90sguy October 28, 2012

Amazing film, not as good as the original...

...but don't let that stop you from seeing this movie. It is very good with its dark and suspenseful tone. It also follows the story more. The only complaints that I have for this movie is that it's dissapointing that the ending did not follow the book, Rooney doesn't play as much as a careless badass, the main villan is not as disturbing, and the movie felt a little censored compared to the original. That being said, this movie is still NOT FOR KIDS. This is a very dark film. It includes scenes of oral and anal rape, disturbing pictures of mutilated women, tourture, graphic sex between both genders, strong language including f--k and s--t being the most used, and there's a lot of drinking and smoking. Overall, the movie is not as good as the original, but this is a thriller that will disturb, but keep you on the edge of your seat, and I only recommend this movie to older teens and adults.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPlague98 October 27, 2012

Brutal, mind-scarring... and excellent.

The movie itself is great, the plot, the characters, and the superb performances by Craig and Mara. However, the movie is EXTREMELY violent and hard to watch. It comes with over-the-top brutal violence sequences, two hard-to-watch rape scenes, infrequent strong language, and lots of smoking. Definitely, not for kids.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPart II August 19, 2012

A masterpiece, but brutal

Teen, 15 years old Written bytom204 August 14, 2012

Not for under 13s

I saw this recently, but I doubt my parents would aprove. The movie is fine for kids 12-13 most of the time, but the rape scene definitely makes it off or very iffy for under 14s. The other descriptions of rape and murder are very brutal and the dead, blood covered, torn apart cat is quite disturbing as well. In short, only for over 13s, and only mature ones, though they may still find it disturbing.

Teen, 16 years old Written byMovie_Critic July 24, 2012

Dragon Tattoo is a Hit

A great story line and kept the viewers engaged at all times. I was both thrilled and engrossed every step of the way. Many seems of rape and other disturbing scenes.

Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag July 12, 2012

Hollywood remake is not as good as the original, but also pretty graphic.

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is an English language remake of the Swedish movie of the same name. The original movie was perfect (5/5), the second volume was disappointing (2/5) and the third one was average (3/5). So what about the remake?
It is a more or less unnecessary movie, whose main purpose is to avoid the subtitles used in the original movies. David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club) directed this movie and transformed the story into a dark and disturbing thriller, but lacks the brilliant athmosphere of the original movie - even though David Fincher did a great job on his earlier movies.
At some points the remake leaves out huge parts such as the search for all the victims. On the other hand, some parts are much longer compared to the original movie. The whole structure of the movie seems much less interesting and artful compared to the original.
Rooney Mara (who was nominated for an Academy Award) really does her best, but has no chance against Noomi Rapace, who played the role of Lisbeth in the original Swedish movie. But the movie is not bad, either. If you don't like reading subtitles, then you can watch this version as an alternative.
Possibly it seems much better if you don't know the original. But if you compare them, you're better off with the Swedish version.
(SPOILERS may follow:)
The graphic scenes are pretty much the same as the original, with two more scenes added: we see a mutilated cat, whose limbs lie on the ground forming a swastika. After the killer has Mikael tethered to the ceiling, he doesn't try to hang him, instead he puts a plastic bag onto his head and is about to torture Mikael with a knife. However, he is rescued before the torture begins. All those who have seen the original version can skip to "end of spoilers" by now as it is the same as in the original movie.
A woman is forced to perform oral sex on a man in order to get money. We do not see any nudity but it is clearly visible what happens. A woman is cuffed to a bed and is then raped. We don't see any nudity, but it is shown in detail. The woman takes revenge when raping the man by violently kicking a sex toy up his anus. She then takes a tattoo machine and carves "I am a rapist pig" into his belly. A car with a man inside explodes (not graphic). Several photographs of bloody corpses.
The rape scenes and the revenge scenes are the most intense moments.
(END OF SPOILERS)
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" takes a lot of maturity because of its graphic sexual violence. Better watch it before letting your kids watch it. You perhaps need to talk to them first. Older teenagers around 16 should handle it, if they are mature enough.

Teen, 16 years old Written bygabrvar April 20, 2012

Loved it, but not for kids

I have read the book, seen the swedish version, and this version. I am a huge millennium fan. I watched this when I was fifteen, but i don't think this movie would be good for most kids that age. I mean, it really depends on the kid. Anyway, i loved the plot and acting. Great remake if you ask me. SPOILER ALERT: the main problem is the sex. It's graphic and there is an encounter between to women. Plus a big part of the movie deals with rape. Lisbeth Salander is graphically raped and a lot of the plot has to do with sexual assault. In my opinion the book may be worse in regard to this because more people in the book are sexually active and it's like almost everyone has an affair. But the point is this movie is not for kids, i'd say only mature teens and up