Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Godfather

The classic tale of a Mafia family, violence and all.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byJac C. January 27, 2018

Terrible movie

The third on is a g.o.a.t

Adult Written byProtectiveMonitor11 June 25, 2019
Violence, drugs in a drama is suitable for mature audiences only.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written bySircjalot March 20, 2019

It was violent back then and is still violent toady!

This 1972 classic mafia film! many characters are killed in hit operations. In one hit The godfather son shoots a man point blank to the head "blood splatters everywhere" then he shoots another person in the neck and head "blood is seen spurring out." One of the main characters was Gun down by hail of bullets from mobsters with Thompson guns. Shredding his his body up with 100+ bullets. In one disturbing scene, in which a man wakes up to see a bloody horse head next to him on his bed! Lots of other violence and shootouts that would be to long to explain, but I'm sure you got the gist of it. In one scene a female breast is fully seen for a long length of time. There is other sexual themes throughout the film, but no other nudity. Cussing is common throughout the film, quite a few uses of B***, d*** bas***d, H***, A** N***** and couple uses of F words in a Italian language, but none is said in English. Alcohol and cigarettes are seen.

Adult Written byMike H. July 14, 2018

Amazing

In the BFI top ten. Need I say more...
Adult Written byJeff A. April 23, 2018

The Greatest Mafia Film Of All Time

In my opinion, The Godfather is the best gangster film of all time, it is also my all time favorite movie. There is not one bad thing I can say about this film, it's got a great, thrilling story, a great all-star cast, and fantastic acting. Since The Godfather is a gangster movie, obviously it has its share of violent scenes, however the violent scenes really aren't THAT bad. Compared to films like Casino and Goodfellas, this film is quite tame.
Adult Written byFlanders D. February 13, 2018
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBillie C. January 27, 2018

Classic film

It my be a bit mature but it is so great that kids need to see it no matter what age.

Parent Written byMoviecriticdude101 January 25, 2018

ok for mature tweens

PG-13/R in between A

Adult Written byErin T. January 6, 2018

I think this movie is for someone of the age of 14 because....

Just like the title above the only reason I think this movie is made for teens around the age of 14 because the Godfather is a type of movie where you have to be older to get this movie and it's message. I also think it's for teens because of my perception of a child vs teen attention span since this movie is on the slower side when it comes to the movie pacing. This doesn't mean all older people have great attention span and all younger people have worse attention spans, but what I mean is that I consider what the movie is about and how 14 and older can probably grasp the meaning better than a younger child plus the pacing, which gives me the estimate I am saying right now. When it comes to the sex, violence, and profanity, I honestly don't think it's that bad compare to other movies. I think there's about 2 sex scene and one of them being very brief. Both the violence and profanity are littered in this movie rather than it being a violence and cursing feast. I do think however, the profanity isn't that bad and it isn't used that often. When it comes to the violence, it's mainly either strangling someone or shooting someone. There's only two "grand" murder and core scene, with one involving a decapitated head (with it being sort of brief) and the other one being an expulsion (no gore though). It's really depend of your view on what you consider what's too violence or what's isn't too violent . The only reason I'm putting this as too violent because I want to be safe with my warning to the parents.

Adult Written byDerekthecleric May 20, 2017

One of the best movies ever

Slow, beautiful, tense, and deadly, this movie did not just transform mafia movies forever, it transformed movies forever. One of my favorite movies of all time. The acting and direction are truly perfect.
Adult Written bySzymon J. May 11, 2017

Fine

Adult Written byJoe J. March 9, 2017

Obviously it's great

Adult Written byDhili B. June 27, 2016

Bloody Family Drama . . . about Family

It's bloody and gory and fruesome and disturbing and haunting. The acting often raw (Connie) and shiver-inducing. Many scenes are heavily written, ao to get the story in it's entirety, take notes or read the book or watch it twice. It may be a stretch but there is a nuanced feeling of the importance of family unity, loyalty and protection. The Corleone brothers set out to avenge their father even if they don't agree with him, and even the cold Don himself enjoys a touching and symboluc scene developing a humbling relationship with his grandson. Sunny is most protective of his younger sister Connie and Michael is a seemingly caring husband. Family ties are literally flesh, often extreme, but incredibly relevent.
Adult Written byElflaquencio 96 March 31, 2016

The Godfather Review

The Godfather is my favorite movie! Their is great directing, acting, script, character development, and much more. It is simply a masterpiece! Although by todays standards this film is easily tamed, but their are some concerns that should be taken. The only concern I found in the film are the two very brief sex references which last less than 7 seconds. The rest is just fine. Younger viewers will be have a hard time following the plot and get bored, its best to leave to mature audiences who enjoy good acting and drama. Recommendation: 15+

Adult Written bymathewa December 2, 2014

Classic but mature

It is deserving of an R- rating, but it is one of the best.

Parent Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

All American evil

The film that launched a thousand cliches, yet completely worthy of its towering reputation. Brando and Pacino in their greatest roles as the embodiment of all American evil. Serious, disturbing violence: not just the shootings and the horse's head, but Sonny's brutal, sadistic beating of Carlo, and Carlo and Connie's domestic abuse.

Adult Written byRog66 October 30, 2013

A Great Piece of Cinema

The Godfather is no doubt one of the greatest films of all time. It is original, well written, a great story, and has superb actors. However, in our house, the rule was you had to wait until 8th grade to watch it. The violence really is not "action" it is very graphic and bloody. Plus, one of the things my sister always complained about was that it makes gangsters look like good or respectable people. That may be concerning for some parents. The sex is only graphic in one scene, and it is a brief scene in which all you see is breasts. The only other scene is that of a scene of clothed sex implied through gestures and moaning. However, the film is great and you should definitely show it to your kids when you think they are the right age.

Parent of a 18+ year old Written bythomas1foot October 8, 2013

An Offer You Just Can't Refuse

'The Godfather' is a mafia movie of the 70's. That means sex, drugs and violence. Violence: There are many bloody shootings and murders throughout the film, several characters are shot with a LOT of blood. A few characters are strangled with a rope (graphic but not as bad). There is a LOT of violence in this movie. Sexual Themes: There is one NON GRAPHIC sex scene which only lasts a few seconds, as well as a few seconds of female nudity in another scene. Language: Infrequent swearing. Drugs/Alcohol/Smoking: A large amount of the plot coincides with dealing drugs, many characters smoke and drink alcohol. Overall, this is not a kids movie. But if they can handle the adult themes they should be alright. But most importantly, they need to be able to understand the complex and riveting story (though it goes on for three hours!). 12+ But only for a MATURE 12 year old.

Parent of a 3, 7, 9, 14, 16, and 17 year old Written bygreatperson November 20, 2012

The movie contains some violence, and swearing like god d--n, one use of n---a, b-----d, and son of a b---h.

Adult Written bygrapelover46 September 13, 2012

Classic mafia movie with swearing might not be age appropiate for your younger teen.