Parent reviews for The Godfather

The Godfather Poster Image

Violence, mafia and brief nudity it is still as must watch for everybody

Violence 8/10 - Shootings included with blood splatter (quick and not too graphic), one or two stabbings one of which bening fairly graphic (kids should look away for that one). The film displays the mob in a realistic dark tone though all the violence is important to the story and painted in a bad way. One of the most famous scenes in the film shows a man waking up in his bed to a severed horse head in his bed, it’s not too graphic though animal lovers may dislike it. One disturbing scene shows a man beating his wife (I skipped it), she smashes his plates on the floor because she is angry and he corners her in the bathroom, the camera cuts away and you can only hear her cry (it’s heavily implied he beat her). It’s important to remember basically everybody getting hurt or dying is a criminal themselves and are just as bad as the person killing them. Language 4/10 - It has extremely tame language for an R rated film. 7 uses of “bitch”, 5 uses of “ass”, 1 use of “dick” and some ethnic slurs include one use of the n-word, and many slurs against Italians. Sex/Nudity 5/10 - In one scene two characters are walked in on while having sex (Their clothed and it stops almost instantly), a woman reveals her breasts to her husband (Their shown briefly, I just skipped it), one other scene shows Sonny having sex with his mistress, their clothed and it isn’t shown (It is audible however, again I just skipped it) Drugs 3/10 - Drug trafficking is a minor plot point in the story, no drug use is shown just brief talk of it, it is presented as a dirty, risky, business type

2 people found this helpful.

Slow and methodical masterpiece depiction of sociopathy

While having a reputation for its slow pace, The Godfather's performances and tense atmosphere make every scene a pleasure to watch. In the end, the duration feels just right. The film does border on sentimentalism at times, but never departs from its earnest depiction of sociopathic barbarism that masquerades itself as "honest business." The mafia is shown their true colours as backstabbing power-hungry dangerous men with no place in any civilized society-do not let their style and presentation fool you otherwise.

2 people found this helpful.

My kids are scared

I thought this was a family friendly movie. My son and I watched this together because I was under the impression that it was a family story. However after watching the infamous scene containing the horse head my son burst into tears and could not sleep for a week. If you have small children or even a sensitive teen don’t watch the movie! It deserves its rating.

1 person found this helpful.

Al Pacino Stars in a brilliant crime/murder film.

This movie is nothing, shy of fantastic. Don't get me wrong, this movie, is NOT FOR CHILDREN. This movie clearly makes the hard R rating. There isn't much action, but tons of brutal and bloody violence. There is also tonnes of sex with naked people in the bathroom.

1 person found this helpful.

Violent and mature , but overall a masterpiece

The Godfather is an excellent crime film , one of the very best. It has amazing acting and soundtrack , along with a great screenplay . However ,it has strong violence , including shootings and beatings, and a sexual scene , along with mature themes. I would recommend 13 and up . An amazing film and a true classic.

1 person found this helpful.

simply magnificent and honestly not very inappropriate

this film is probably the best in existence, and it should and can be viewed by those of all ages. our daily lives are bombarded with true and sickening stories of immorality and heinous crimes that your children have most likely heard of or seen in their real lives. any fictional murder scenes displayed in the film, graphic or not, aren’t as terrible as the incidents that occur in reality that your children are cognizant of. the violence and minuscule amounts of sexual intimacy portrayed on screen are small prices to pay for this exceptional and superlative film. let your children watch it and, if you must, simply skip through the brief, only slightly objectionable scenes.

1 person found this helpful.

It was violent back then and is still violent toady!

This 1972 classic mafia film! many characters are killed in hit operations. In one hit The godfather son shoots a man point blank to the head "blood splatters everywhere" then he shoots another person in the neck and head "blood is seen spurring out." One of the main characters was Gun down by hail of bullets from mobsters with Thompson guns. Shredding his his body up with 100+ bullets. In one disturbing scene, in which a man wakes up to see a bloody horse head next to him on his bed! Lots of other violence and shootouts that would be to long to explain, but I'm sure you got the gist of it. In one scene a female breast is fully seen for a long length of time. There is other sexual themes throughout the film, but no other nudity. Cussing is common throughout the film, quite a few uses of B***, d*** bas***d, H***, A** N***** and couple uses of F words in a Italian language, but none is said in English. Alcohol and cigarettes are seen.

The Greatest Mafia Film Of All Time

In my opinion, The Godfather is the best gangster film of all time, it is also my all time favorite movie. There is not one bad thing I can say about this film, it's got a great, thrilling story, a great all-star cast, and fantastic acting. Since The Godfather is a gangster movie, obviously it has its share of violent scenes, however the violent scenes really aren't THAT bad. Compared to films like Casino and Goodfellas, this film is quite tame.
1 person found this helpful.

I think this movie is for someone of the age of 14 because....

Just like the title above the only reason I think this movie is made for teens around the age of 14 because the Godfather is a type of movie where you have to be older to get this movie and it's message. I also think it's for teens because of my perception of a child vs teen attention span since this movie is on the slower side when it comes to the movie pacing. This doesn't mean all older people have great attention span and all younger people have worse attention spans, but what I mean is that I consider what the movie is about and how 14 and older can probably grasp the meaning better than a younger child plus the pacing, which gives me the estimate I am saying right now. When it comes to the sex, violence, and profanity, I honestly don't think it's that bad compare to other movies. I think there's about 2 sex scene and one of them being very brief. Both the violence and profanity are littered in this movie rather than it being a violence and cursing feast. I do think however, the profanity isn't that bad and it isn't used that often. When it comes to the violence, it's mainly either strangling someone or shooting someone. There's only two "grand" murder and core scene, with one involving a decapitated head (with it being sort of brief) and the other one being an expulsion (no gore though). It's really depend of your view on what you consider what's too violence or what's isn't too violent . The only reason I'm putting this as too violent because I want to be safe with my warning to the parents.

1 person found this helpful.

One of the best movies ever

Slow, beautiful, tense, and deadly, this movie did not just transform mafia movies forever, it transformed movies forever. One of my favorite movies of all time. The acting and direction are truly perfect.