Parent reviews for The Godfather

The classic tale of a Mafia family, violence and all.

Adult Written byHilary_Saquetez104 June 19, 2021

Violence, mafia and brief nudity it is still as must watch for everybody

Violence 8/10 - Shootings included with blood splatter (quick and not too graphic), one or two stabbings one of which bening fairly graphic (kids should look away for that one). The film displays the mob in a realistic dark tone though all the violence is important to the story and painted in a bad way. One of the most famous scenes in the film shows a man waking up in his bed to a severed horse head in his bed, it’s not too graphic though animal lovers may dislike it. One disturbing scene shows a man beating his wife (I skipped it), she smashes his plates on the floor because she is angry and he corners her in the bathroom, the camera cuts away and you can only hear her cry (it’s heavily implied he beat her). It’s important to remember basically everybody getting hurt or dying is a criminal themselves and are just as bad as the person killing them.
Language 4/10 - It has extremely tame language for an R rated film. 7 uses of “bitch”, 5 uses of “ass”, 1 use of “dick” and some ethnic slurs include one use of the n-word, and many slurs against Italians.
Sex/Nudity 5/10 - In one scene two characters are walked in on while having sex (Their clothed and it stops almost instantly), a woman reveals her breasts to her husband (Their shown briefly, I just skipped it), one other scene shows Sonny having sex with his mistress, their clothed and it isn’t shown (It is audible however, again I just skipped it)
Drugs 3/10 - Drug trafficking is a minor plot point in the story, no drug use is shown just brief talk of it, it is presented as a dirty, risky, business type

Parent Written byApersonthatdoes... February 22, 2021

THE BEST MOVIE EVER

Violence 5/5
Sex 5/5
Language 4/5
Drink/Drugs/Smoking 3/5

Parent of a 18+-year-old Written bySircjalot March 20, 2019

It was violent back then and is still violent toady!

This 1972 classic mafia film! many characters are killed in hit operations. In one hit The godfather son shoots a man point blank to the head "blood splatters everywhere" then he shoots another person in the neck and head "blood is seen spurring out." One of the main characters was Gun down by hail of bullets from mobsters with Thompson guns. Shredding his his body up with 100+ bullets. In one disturbing scene, in which a man wakes up to see a bloody horse head next to him on his bed! Lots of other violence and shootouts that would be to long to explain, but I'm sure you got the gist of it. In one scene a female breast is fully seen for a long length of time. There is other sexual themes throughout the film, but no other nudity. Cussing is common throughout the film, quite a few uses of B***, d*** bas***d, H***, A** N***** and couple uses of F words in a Italian language, but none is said in English. Alcohol and cigarettes are seen.

Adult Written byKarenluvtod6758 February 13, 2021

My kids are scared

I thought this was a family friendly movie. My son and I watched this together because I was under the impression that it was a family story. However after watching the infamous scene containing the horse head my son burst into tears and could not sleep for a week. If you have small children or even a sensitive teen don’t watch the movie! It deserves its rating.

Adult Written byRichard richardson September 6, 2020

Everyone should watch this movie at least twice in life

A masterpiece. Of course since it is about the mafia the will be some violence.
Adult Written byMaitreya August 9, 2020

just watch

no words can define this movie.

Adult Written bywerner 123 August 3, 2020

Violent

Adult Written byWenwen1243 August 3, 2020

Too violent and sexual

Adult Written byKevin Parker July 30, 2020

NOT FOR KIDS

Really violent and a lot of nudity.

Adult Written byRobert J. July 19, 2020

Al Pacino Stars in a brilliant crime/murder film.

This movie is nothing, shy of fantastic. Don't get me wrong, this movie, is NOT FOR CHILDREN. This movie clearly makes the hard R rating. There isn't much action, but tons of brutal and bloody violence. There is also tonnes of sex with naked people in the bathroom.

Adult Written byDadatyttyt June 25, 2020

Violent and mature , but overall a masterpiece

The Godfather is an excellent crime film , one of the very best. It has amazing acting and soundtrack , along with a great screenplay . However ,it has strong violence , including shootings and beatings, and a sexual scene , along with mature themes. I would recommend 13 and up . An amazing film and a true classic.

Written byAnonymous June 24, 2020

simply magnificent and honestly not very inappropriate

this film is probably the best in existence, and it should and can be viewed by those of all ages. our daily lives are bombarded with true and sickening stories of immorality and heinous crimes that your children have most likely heard of or seen in their real lives. any fictional murder scenes displayed in the film, graphic or not, aren’t as terrible as the incidents that occur in reality that your children are cognizant of. the violence and minuscule amounts of sexual intimacy portrayed on screen are small prices to pay for this exceptional and superlative film. let your children watch it and, if you must, simply skip through the brief, only slightly objectionable scenes.

Written byAnonymous May 23, 2020

Slow and methodical masterpiece depiction of sociopathy

While having a reputation for its slow pace, The Godfather's performances and tense atmosphere make every scene a pleasure to watch. In the end, the duration feels just right. The film does border on sentimentalism at times, but never departs from its earnest depiction of sociopathic barbarism that masquerades itself as "honest business." The mafia is shown their true colours as backstabbing power-hungry dangerous men with no place in any civilized society-do not let their style and presentation fool you otherwise.

Adult Written byJohnnyTheTypica... May 18, 2020

An inspiring movie

This movie is a piece of art which should be watched by all ages. There’s a brief scene we’re a women flashes a man but it’s easily skipped over. There is also a brief sex scene at the beginning but nothing is shown. There are some upsetting scenes.

Adult Written bySamLucas March 8, 2020

Best. Movie. Ever.

This is great some violence but awesome movie.

Adult Written byIMDB January 2, 2020

Adult Written byFilmreviews.org November 11, 2019
Adult Written byAdnan Ghannoum September 19, 2019
Adult Written byProtectiveMonitor11 June 25, 2019
Violence, drugs in a drama is suitable for mature audiences only.

Adult Written byJeff A. April 23, 2018

The Greatest Mafia Film Of All Time

In my opinion, The Godfather is the best gangster film of all time, it is also my all time favorite movie. There is not one bad thing I can say about this film, it's got a great, thrilling story, a great all-star cast, and fantastic acting. Since The Godfather is a gangster movie, obviously it has its share of violent scenes, however the violent scenes really aren't THAT bad. Compared to films like Casino and Goodfellas, this film is quite tame.