All parent member reviews for The Godfather

Adult Written byHekateIsis April 24, 2009

This is a great mafia movie. Filled with action, and makes you want to see part two. I believe that only 17 and up should see this because of the violence in it.
Parent of a 16 year old Written bySpain707 March 12, 2011

Emotionally advanced and taxing.

This is one of the most important films out of American cinema ever. The cultural significance is invaluable. This movie lives up to its R rating modestly, but is probably less affected by the typical parameters as it is some of the themes. The movie masterfully depicts emotion and I believe this can be far more influential on a child than raw sex or violence. Characters in the movie are presented with serious moral dilemma and deeply disturbing events. SPOILER ALERT Watching a man get shot by multiple machine gun armed assailants is something that could be found in many video games and television programs. However, the emotional stress you are exposed to when you see Sonny try and save his baby sister and die in the process is much stronger. You become intimately connected to the characters and it hurts when they are killed off. This movie depicts organized crime without bias, and it can be moving.
Adult Written by4Spice May 21, 2011

Best Movie Of All Time!

This movie is a true classic.It has great acting its worth watching. Its a mob/mafia kind of movie. Rated R for violence,language and brief nudity.Watch it you wont regret it. 16 and over.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymathewa December 2, 2014

Classic but mature

It is deserving of an R- rating, but it is one of the best.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

All American evil

The film that launched a thousand cliches, yet completely worthy of its towering reputation. Brando and Pacino in their greatest roles as the embodiment of all American evil. Serious, disturbing violence: not just the shootings and the horse's head, but Sonny's brutal, sadistic beating of Carlo, and Carlo and Connie's domestic abuse.
Parent of a 19 year old Written bythomas1foot October 8, 2013

An Offer You Just Can't Refuse

'The Godfather' is a mafia movie of the 70's. That means sex, drugs and violence. Violence: There are many bloody shootings and murders throughout the film, several characters are shot with a LOT of blood. A few characters are strangled with a rope (graphic but not as bad). There is a LOT of violence in this movie. Sexual Themes: There is one NON GRAPHIC sex scene which only lasts a few seconds, as well as a few seconds of female nudity in another scene. Language: Infrequent swearing. Drugs/Alcohol/Smoking: A large amount of the plot coincides with dealing drugs, many characters smoke and drink alcohol. Overall, this is not a kids movie. But if they can handle the adult themes they should be alright. But most importantly, they need to be able to understand the complex and riveting story (though it goes on for three hours!). 12+ But only for a MATURE 12 year old.
Parent of a 3, 7, 9, 14, 16, and 17 year old Written bygreatperson November 20, 2012

The movie contains some violence, and swearing like god d--n, one use of n---a, b-----d, and son of a b---h.

Parent Written bygrapelover46 September 13, 2012

Classic mafia movie with swearing might not be age appropiate for your younger teen.

Parent Written byharris231 September 10, 2012

Movie with racist slurs, gang violence, and nudity is not intended toward kids.

Adult Written bydarthsitkur August 1, 2012

I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse

my older brother got me into gangster movies, the godfather is a great movie I promise you that, it has everything you could ask for, it has great performances, action, intense moments, mob hits, eerie music, double crossing, and suspense, and this one is obviously the best god father since that's what they all say ;)
Adult Written bystevenspielbergfan July 18, 2012

Great. That's all I have to say about this movie.

There is lots of smoking and drinking, some strong language, and gang realted activity and violence. But the movie is amazing.
Adult Written bydarkknightrises232 July 14, 2012

Best movie ever.

The movie rotates around gang violence and has some obscenities spoken.
Parent Written bycomicbookfan2144 July 10, 2012

It's great, but violent, sexy, and profane.

The film revolves around mafia violence, (pretty extreme), and it has the words d--k, d-mn, b---h, and n----. It also has female nudity.
Adult Written byJohnny J August 1, 2011

Now that's gangster...

This movie is so hyped to be a great...and personally I think it is over hyped. I'll be honest straight of the bat, that I'm not a fan of gangster movies as a genre. In fact Ghost Dog is the only one I can think of right now that I really like or perhaps The Usual Suspects..though it isn't really a gangster movie. If you wanna give this a try, go for it. But I won't watch it again. Btw, some of these reviews RE the violence & sex etc are kinda worrying (and I think, some are just made up reviews). I can't find any logic in people who say that a rating should be lowered/movie is suitable for kids/young teens because now "times have changed/x number of years have passed", yada yada...maybe that's cause there is no logic or common sense in those statements lol. Suffice it to say, this movie...adults only. Maybe a some mature teens would be ok with it but this is no 15 in my book - all considered, this is an 18.
Adult Written byRockybalboa211 July 30, 2011

NOT FOR KIDS!!!

This isn't for kids! Yet, it is a classic piece of cinema! My message to the 11 year old kid who said this film was boring is that you should not have seen this film, you are too young. Hopefully, when you get older your tastes will mature to see that this film is a masterpiece.
Parent Written byTHE MOVIE BUF!!!!! July 12, 2011

Very Good

It is not that violent there are some gory scenes like when a man finds a horse head in his bed there is a lot of blood there is a part where a man shoots two men in the head there is a bit of blood there also is a part when a man comes in a car then they get guns and start shooting at him there is a lot of blood son of a bi!#h is used a bit there is a sex scene two breasts are visible MA15+Infrequent strong violence coarse language and Medium sex scene Nudity
Parent of a 13 year old Written bydroctagonapus January 16, 2011

A great classic, for teens and up though.

Due to the age of it, it may seem very violent for us oldies, however, to children these days, it would be nothing compared to the violence in PG-13 movies.
Parent Written byPlague May 11, 2010

The Godfather

A very violent, but classic movie that adults and older teens will absolutely love.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byCloone May 23, 2009

Great movie, Very Realistic Violence

This movie has absolutely no nudity, but Michael is seen holding up a girl against a door, pushing her and she is moaning, they are fully clothed. The main thing to be worried about is the realistic violence. A character named Sonny is massacred at a tollbooth and blood is all over him and he is screaming. They are also bad role models, stealing, killing.