Parent reviews for The Goldfinch

Art-centered drama about loss has teen drinking, drug use.

Adult Written byJackie P. March 15, 2020

Book-lovers will love it!

If you did not read the book, you will most likely be confused and bored throughout. Watching with my family I had to explain what was happening from my knowledge of the book. It has all the essential parts from the book but is very disjointed in how they put it all together.

Adult Written bychloeplum September 26, 2019

The Goldfinch

*could present spoilers* I saw this movie with my mom and it did not disappoint. We both read my copy of the book beforehand and enjoyed it thoroughly, so our expectations were high. Firstly, I think the casting was outstanding. From Theo to Mrs. Barbour, Boris, and even young Andy. The dynamic between every character, big and small, flows so naturally. Now when it comes to the set up of the movie, it could've been confusing to one who had not read the novel. For me, it made perfect sense and I enjoyed the back and forth between past and present. Scene by scene wise, I wish it would've been slightly less choppy. It seemed to me that the scenes where I would've wanted more to them (the energetic, more demanding scenes) were cut short and the slower scenes were really dragged out. There were whole sections of the book that were taken away that I wish they would've kept, but it didn't take away from the movie overall. Generally I think it was very hard-hitting, emotional, and captivating. Absolutely would recommend this movie as well as the book.
Adult Written bydebra N September 14, 2019

The Gold Finch

the young actor was excellent and set the stage for a coming of age
film until all bets are off and his estranged father comes to claim him after his mother died in a terrorist bombing. From here on, it's pretty much down hill. Fear and abandonment head an unknown cast of
fairly fine actors including Nicole Kidman who looked like she'd had
cosmetic surgery - young and beautiful.

Hobie was the one of two characters I actually liked in the film. Why?
He was a quiet somber man who took in the boy and taught him his trade: altiques. He was a positive role model and decent human
being.

I found myself looking at my watch several times - the film became
tiring and close to boring - it was not a total surprise ending, and a bit anti-climatic with his boyfriend from the desert showing up in NYC
years after his promised arrival.

The message sent to youngsters from the engagement of the lead male and his betrothed leaves much to be desired with her having a continued affair/relationship with an old lover and withholding this until she's found out

The upper-yuppie crust scene didn't work for me - and allinall
I give this film a 67 for overall visuals, storyline, message and the
feeling of when is something exciting going to happen.

Happy Filming but if you ask me I'd avoid the GOLD FINCH and spend your money elsewhere or else ...
Adult Written bylpetlock September 13, 2019

Touchingly done film.

Adult Written bybarbjones September 12, 2019

Ok

I didn’t read the book so the movie didn’t make a lot of sense. My 13 year old came and saw it. She enjoyed it a lot but I did think it can be overwhelming for immature kids. It was good however.

Adult Written byJan_Smith September 12, 2019

Poignant and Moving

I am the mother of a 12 and 16 year old and I think it is fine for them to watch this. This movie was an amazing adaptation of the novel, but fell a little flat. There is frequent drug use and language but nothing else. Overall an engaging movie!