All parent member reviews for The Goonies

Parent of a 8 year old Written bymommyoldfashioned June 3, 2010

Movie jacket ratings need adjustments I believe.

I can't rate it since I never got to see it completely but to submit I had to fill in the information so it is not truly a fair review.After the seen of a nude statue and the kid walking with genitalia from the statue in his hand that was broken off and then a drug conversation about cocaine I turned it off quickly.Not quite the topics of conversation for an 8 year old.I wish I knew before bringing it home.Now I realize I can't trust the ratings on the jackets I research first.
Parent of a 4, 8, and 10 year old Written byshamashauna November 25, 2010

Not good....

We were excited to watch this with our kids but had to turn it off. Too many inappropriate situations and way too much swearing. Probably not a movie we will watch when they are older either...
Parent of a 8 year old Written bySmokey Edwards March 20, 2011

It was a good movie, but there was too much swearing that may be OK for older kids. But otherwise, it was a good movie - some of the characters were really funny and it was an exciting story. There were lots of scary scenes and a weird-looking creature. Reviewed by 9-year-old boy.
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byBennyZ July 25, 2010

Great adventure for kids! (If you know your little ones well)

I have two boys (4 and almost 6) who are very mature for their ages. They both LOVE this movie like anything else having to do with pirates. At this age, some of the more suggestive / inappropriate moments are over their heads and so are not a concern. As for the language, it's all in passing so if you don't make a big deal out of it they won't either. Introducing this movie to my young boys gives them a marvelous adventure to live through vicariously. It also shows them a good group of role models who decide to work together to protect their parents and families from rich snobs who care little about the people "beneath" them. As they grow, I'm sure they will begin to notice some of the more mature aspects of this film. Any parent who has open lines of communication with their children will welcome this as an opportunity to discuss these issues. I rate this movie as iffy for ages 4 and up because it can be a great movie for younger viewers if you really know your kids.
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byiamabibliophile October 20, 2010

Great for 13 and up!

Parent Written by80s dad June 20, 2011

Love the movie, but not ok for my kids yet.

I loved this movie so much as a kid. I guess I was ten or eleven when it came out. My son (7) loves pirates and make believe and I thought it would be great to see again. My daughter (5) also watched with us. Five minutes in I realized it was not really PG but PG-13 content (PG-13 didn't exist back then)--I didn't remember any of this content from when I saw it as a kid. My wife gave me some hard looks and I decided we had to skip through it to avoid a lot of the issues--sexual jokes, swearing, high school guys trying to look up girls's skirts, mention of drugs and sexual torture, and other stuff. There are some things I am willing to talk them through with them (like how it makes jokes about the fat, the foreign, and the deformed people), guns, crime, etc. but I can't really explain discussion of torture, hard drugs or sexual jokes. I also think they can wait to learn the swear words. My son just discovered the word S**t at the park in some graffiti and this helped him remember it! This is a great 80s movie that I will always love but it is definitely not ok for kids under 10 or 11.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bymo_cubsfan November 5, 2010

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byhophead July 12, 2010

Good film but be careful...

I liked the movie but was concerned about the language and some of the messages. They even mention drugs and sexual torture. Not cool for my 11 year old.
Parent Written byCooldee May 8, 2010

Full of adventures!

In ''The Goonies'', the ''S'' word is used 19 times. Mouth (a character in this movie), swears alot, but he is the funniest character in this movie! Mouth is my favorite character in The Goonies! This movie teaches eeverybody about friendship, love, adventures, and standing up for what you believe in.
Adult Written byEatdessertfirst August 1, 2009

I rented this movie based on my own memory from when it came out so many years ago. I took it out for my son's 11th birthday sleepover. The beginning of the movie starts with references to marijuana and uses of the "S" word. Not what I expected and I was surprised. We stopped the movie and put in another movie that we already had at home.
Parent of a 7, 17, and 19 year old Written byhtcblondie January 3, 2011

classic for over 10 years old...

Was a classic movie from my older kids and my past...I decided that my 7 year old was ready to see it and not be scared..however after sitting through it and listening to the many "shut up" and other words used, I would definitely suggest waiting for other to wait until at least 10 years old.
Parent of a 2, 4, 6, and 7 year old Written bybusymommyof4 October 26, 2009

GREAT for big kids, but keep out of reach for small children. ;)

I decided to finally let my almost 8yr old watch it with me, but we talked about everything the whole way through. I definitely won't let my 2, 4, & 6yr olds watch it until they're older, but I love this movie and think it's a great and fun movie for 7 or 8 and up. It can get a bit scary, though.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byjax412 October 7, 2009

Not a problem for kids in Middle School

By the time kids hit Middle School, they've heard far worse language from their peers, in music, etc., than they'll hear in this movie, and they're mature enough to know what is and is not appropriate for them to use in school or at home. They certainly enjoy the movie, but I do think that a good deal of the "sh**" stuff was not necessary. I do agree that, if this movie were released today, it would probably be PG-13.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byHighPlainsMom August 11, 2009

Would Probably Be Rated PG-13 Today

The action and adventure of this movie is entertaining (kids on a hunt for lost treasure -- shades of Indiana Jones for the younger set) but I was a little dismayed by the persistent use of foul language and some of the sexual undertones of the older characters. A young boy (mistakenly) kisses his older brothers girlfriend and there is a scene where the band of boys try frantically to reglue a broken phallus onto a statue. The older female character wears a short tennis skirt throughout the movie and there are climbing scenes where you can see her underwear. There were a few moments where I felt a little uncomfortable with my 9-year-old son watching but we discussed the movie afterward and acknowledged that the language was not appropriate for him to use. I found the movie more appropriate for my 12-year-old son although I still found the language unneccesary and over-the-top for a childrens movie.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byelaspir June 14, 2013

More sex talk than listed and some drug jokes

I watched this with my almost 10-year old and was shocked by a few things omitted from the reviews read here. One is that early in the movie, Corey Feldman's character throws out some funny lines about illegal drugs and S&M. I wasn't prepared for this and wouldn't have chosen for my kid to hear those things. Another surprise is where some teenage boys are asking one of the friends "how far he got" with one of the girl characters - that wasn't in the review. That is why I would rate it for a slightly older kid. However, it is still a fantastic movie. The scary parts were just right - thrilling but fun. The kids' loyalty to each other is great!
Parent of a 7 year old Written bymagsmags April 22, 2011

My & yearold is now having nightmares!!!!

I loved this fil as a kid, when it first came out but when i let my 7 year old watch it , i knew i had made a big mistake as he has been having nightmares ever since. Three weeks on bedtime is a nightmare and he dreams about one eyed willie.So i cursed the day it was on tv and even more about my own excitment to share what i remembered being a good kids film with him. Saying all that age aside i still really enjoyed the film but not for the little ones at all !!!!
Parent of a 10 year old Written bydandy June 3, 2010

IT HAD THE S WORD MORE THAN 20 TIMES!

I did not let my kids watch this tell they were 9. But I turned it off after the first fifteen mins. It had the S word more than 6 times. I watched this movie after my kids went to sleep.IT HAD THE S WORD MORE THAN 20 TIMES! When they woke up in the morning I told them they couldn't watch it tell they were 12! One of the characters is scary looking but is really a nice man! They also say (d**n, and a**).
Adult Written byshansintx April 9, 2008

One of my favorites

Loved this movie at a kid (10 or 11? I think). Watching it now w/ my 9 year old, I seriously wish I would have watched it again before allowing him to view it. Should be rated PG-13. Several references to sex, drugs, and crude language. Not so bad that it should be rated R, but be cautioned about younger kids.
Adult Written bykissables April 9, 2008

Way to many cuss words and vulgar language, even for Dad.

I am watching one of my favorite childhood films with my 8 year old boy. They have said Sh*t, Omg,what-the-hell, balls,p*ss, *ss, shut-up,and damn. This was 20 minutes in. Not appropriate for elementary age kids.
Educator and Parent Written byAnexandros July 24, 2013

Goonies is a childhood must-watch.

We really liked goonies. Even still, it reminds us of our childhood. Great Film!