All parent member reviews for The Great Outdoors

Adult Written bygoodgirl June 25, 2015

i love this movie.

The reason why I love it is the romance between the two characters. The cute guy from Chicago and the local girl that works at a restaurant . the romantic pop music that plays every time boy meets girl.
Adult Written bywonder dove November 24, 2012

SO funny!!!

80's films are so much fun! I first watched this with my family when I was pretty young (maybe around 7) and enjoyed it. We all love John Candy - so I own most of his films (Uncle Buck is another favorite!). I have to say, very hilarious movie! The laughs are continuous and the story is very fun and adventurous. It starts off with a family of four who are going on a summer vacation together in a remote cabin in the woods. When all things seem perfect, their rich in-laws and their two very awkward children pay them a surprise visit. Chet (John Candy) doesn't get along too well with Roman Craig (Dan Aykroyd) so his vacation nightmare begins with a number of hilarious events. This wouldn't be appropriate for kids under 10 because of language mainly, but everything is done in humor. Language has a lot of common name calling type words, but no "f" words that I recall. Sexual content is fairly mild and brief - two teens flirt and kiss in several scenes (like an innocent teen romance). A teen boy almost accidentally hits a girl in the butt with his pool cue stick. Chet humorously starts to undress his wife in the kitchen when the kids are at the lake, but are quickly interrupted. Two women talk about getting pleasure out of a washing machine during its spin cycle. A few funny jokes that will pass over young kids heads. Some smoking. Violence is mainly fantasy type frightening stuff - bears climbing on cars while people are inside them, a gun shot whisks the hair of a bears butt (the bear is not hurt, just distraught), bear chasing scenes, and a very scary bear story that Chet tells his family (he tells it so realistically!), a scary storm has two sisters missing and later found in an underground tunnel where a bear lives. A bat invades the cabin and has everyone running. Roman smashes Chet in the face with a weapon while trying to catch the bat. A man who stutters says he got hit by lightening 66 times (one lightening scene shown). Chet water ski's and runs into a few things. That sort of thing - very funny stuff! A must watch when you need a good laugh or cheering up. Ages 10+ for language and frightening situations.
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byBret Friend January 28, 2011

Hilarious!

My son said there is no way that you could watch this movie without laughing. It was hilarious!!!
Adult Written byDr.Pepper October 31, 2010
This movie is kind of a guilty pleasure of mine, but if it came out today it would definately be PG-13. Mild to moderate swearing shows up like every 5 minutes including one scene where variations on the phrase "blow it out of your @$$" was said a dozen or so times. There is also some mild sexual discussion such as a lady describing pleasuring herself with a washing machine.