All parent member reviews for The Happening

Adult Written byfarrell1 May 3, 2009

tis movie was ok. not the best. Not horror not drama not thriller not anything just a trying to be good movie that had its moments.
Parent Written by@@@ December 17, 2011

TERRIBLE, TORTUROUS MESS TESTS YOUR LIMITS

An awful film. I didn't find it scary at all. The directing is really, really bad, the plot involves nothing but aa group of people running from wind and plants. It is not a horror film, it is a terrible, boring, drama, with a weird, illogical script that nothing can save. This film is irredeemable. It is so shockingly bad in every way that it does not deserve a theatrical release. The only good thing I can say in this review is that eccessive gore is not used to make up for the lack of everything else. It's just so awful. It really is a test to see how much of it you can actually watch. If you are really planning to watch this for some crazy, incomprehensible reason, I suggest that, if you want to see the end, don't watch it late at night. It'll put you straight to sleep. On second thoughts, do watch it late at night. I don't want you to suffer like I did.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymikeisawesome123 December 25, 2010

Not too child friendly!

Good movie. This is definitely not for kids under 14 or 15. Disturbing images, blood (minimal), and INTENSE violence!!!!!
Adult Written byTracyeMay August 14, 2010

2 hours of every form of suicide you can imagine

This was an extremely disturbing movie. It is all about suicides. People are motivated to kill themselves in a variety of very upsetting ways. One includes a man feeding his arm to a lion in the zoo, as he's entered the cage. Another man lies down and allows the riding lawn mower to run over him. People hang themselves in trees. Then, there's the good old fashioned wrist slitting. I got nothing out of this movie other than disturbia. Absolutely not for kids of any age.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byYBNormal January 7, 2009

Adult Written byguppymommy April 9, 2008

Disappointing and Needlessly Gruesome

I love M. Night's work. I know a lot of people hated "Lady in the Water" but I think it was his best work. I went to see this movie b/c it was one of his movies. I don't go to see movies in the theatre usually, but I made an exception for this. Was I disappointed! I walked in knowing what the movie was about, including that it would be graphic. I was willing to "go there" with M. Night b/c he'd never steered me wrong before. I am truly disappointed. I can only guess that he needed to get something like this out of his system. I don't mind seeing a movie with violence, gruesome scenes, etc. if there is an actual point to showing it. There was no point in this movie. Except maybe that "the plants are going to get you!" But even that was a weak message. As a survivor of suicide, I really don't appreciate suicide being put into this kind of spotlight. All suicide is senseless in the end, but usually people do have a motivating reason. In the case of this movie, there was no reason. Part of the horror of suicide (and why it is such a taboo) is people want to understand the "why?" In the case of this movie, there is no explanation except misfiring neurotransmitters. I was hoping M. Night would have an insightful look at suicide. I was disappointed yet again. I have to say, he will have to earn my trust back after this movie. No matter how appealing, I will not see it in the theatre. I will not watch this movie again. This movie will not be in my Shyamalan collection. And I would strongly caution anyone before seeing this movie. In fact, I've already been telling people not to see this movie (not something I usually do).
Adult Written bydon3dawn April 9, 2008

Very bad B movie

One of the worst movies I have ever seen. The entire Audience Booooooood, and stated " that sucked" This movie was even worse than the movies Beloved and Magnolia. Everyone stayed to the end thinking some big twist was coming that never came. The only people I know that even thought it was OK were Left wing fanatics because of the global warming messages presented. Do not even rent it to see how bad it is. It will just make you mad you wasted 2 hours of your time.
Adult Written bytbird April 9, 2008

Don't waste your time!

My wife and I are big fans of M Night. But this film --- I don't know what he was thinking when he made this. Lots of suicides, hints that earth is mad at us and to get even with us is to have us commit suicide. I would say it is bazaar, and not worth your time.
Adult Written byfilmbuff April 9, 2008

Adult Written byDevonkittens3 April 9, 2008

Terribly Upset with M. Knight for selling out

First of all, let me start by saying that I have loved all of M. Knight's previous movies! He is a very talented writer, and director. So I trusted that this movie would be as good as his other movies. I was not only dissapointed, I was sickened by all of the blood and violence! The movie starts out with a woman stabbing herself in the neck with a long sharp hair accessory. And it just gets worse from there. So many graphic deaths all of which are by suiside! The plot was very weak and left you wondering what M. Knight was thinking when he cooked up this gory movie. I feel that he sold out to the public's need for bloody horror movies. He is better than that. It seems like he sold out to the lure of easy money. I am not very happy with M. Knight. I wish I could talk to him face to face and let him know that if he decideds to keep up this kind of horrible gory movie making, to just forget it. I would rather have him stop making movies than to produce one more graphic, lousy story like this one.
Adult Written bysafenerd April 9, 2008

101 ways to kill yourself

I was so exicted to see that this paticular Writer/ director / producer came out with another movie I Absoultly loved "The Village" It was full of Twists and mind bending turns - He also had a hand in the "Sixth Sense" Which I Loved- Judgeing From His past movies - I went and saw This one opening night - Big Mistake!!!! - There was no mind Bending Twist and Turns - Not even small shred "of this person really thought out His Movie" NO instead I was Sudjected to an hour and a half of 101 ways to commit Sucide - It was a very close minded film - that could have had potenitally- He touches on tree hugger issuies - Probably Hopeing to get some people to rebutale that is was a Good Movie - But let me assure you the only thought process within the entire movie takes up about 10 min. of the time your there(if that) the other hour and twenty minutes is just watching people commit suicide- So Just to Clarify Things this Movie Sucked and is not worth your time - Hopefully He thinks The Rest of His Movies Through next time - I give it two thumbs and two big toes down.
Adult Written bydudeman123 April 9, 2008

Fair

I didn't have high expectations for this Shayamalan movie because of his most poorly recent movie Lady in the Water. The movie was ok, it was fun to watch but the plot and the reason for the suicides is kind of stupid and they say it early in the movie so theres no shocking endings in this one. If your a horror fan I say go see it for the chills.
Adult Written bycgcrn2 April 9, 2008

Don't bother!

Worst movie of the year. I love Zoe and Mark... but this sucked.
Adult Written bynkaryb April 9, 2008

Uses GOD's name in vain

The movie is a total waste of time, money, film, and good morals. They take GOD's name in vain. Stay away from the movie. Don't take your money and support this kind of filth. It is not pleasing to GOD.