Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Hate U Give

Powerful, thought-provoking drama about race, activism.

Adult Written byChezTru October 14, 2018

Powerful...well-rounding

This movie was powerful, like amazingly powerful in so many ways! It is one of the only films that authentically portrays so many points of view in such a powerful way in the short amount of time that a movie has. I think this movie is important for families who want to have real conversations with their children. The movie is graphic in some instances (a few gun shot scenes or threats of violence) because of the subject matter that it is discussing but if you are interested in your children having a very well rounded view on the this particular subject then we recommend it. There were two very short teenage kisses, one was a peck but no sex scenes or nudity. We took our 9 and 11 year old. After the movie we asked what they thought and they had very articulate eye opening thoughts on it. They said they were glad that they saw it and they thought it is important for young people like them to know what is really going on.

Adult Written byjenn.pdx October 15, 2018

Great conversation starter

Some mild sexual talk in the first 30 minutes, but nothing that my 11 year old hasn't already seen or heard at middle school. It also shows a strong female character denying consent and the males acknowledging and accepting, which I found to be educational. This movie is a fantastic conversation starter about multiple subjects- sex, consent, racial subjects and white privilege. HIGHLY recommend for middle school and older. See the movie with your child so that you can have those conversations!

Adult Written byLayauuu October 6, 2018

Amazing

I believe that the hate you give is amazing for kids but over 10 this is because people are being racist and a girl named Starr did some something about it by making a protest believe me parents , the movie is fine others are being overrated

Adult Written byHeidiE 1 October 22, 2018

Great movie - phenomenal book.

My 13 year old and I read the book together and then saw the movie together. The movie has some sexual scenes, but nothing that our kids aren't aware happen and all were handled pretty well. The most shocking part of the movie was the shooting. Everyone around me jumped, even those of us expecting it. The movie is also very emotionally intense. There is a LOT to unpack in the movie and a lot of good conversations to have about race, police brutality, code-switching, systemic racism, and "nice people" racism. I will say, the book was much better at tackling these topics. The movie did an ok job portraying the book's message, but it disappointed me because it watered down the viewpoint the book was conveying in a seeming effort to cater to a wider and whiter audience. I still thought it was good to see and my daughter and I could have an extra conversation about why the movie would do that and how we felt about that. The acting was phenomenal and MANY MANY necessary conversations were still portrayed.

Adult Written byPopularReviewer October 22, 2018

Stay Aware

I believe the book and the movie both give out great messages on racism and activism. I think it would be great for older kids around 12 and 13. You should probably go over this with your children after they watch it though, for it has some more adult content. Despite the sexual content ( which there is that much of, except on part of talking of condoms) and language (including the f-word, s-word, and b-word, and many others), the movie is great!

Adult Written byAntiSky October 4, 2018

Outsanding

Amazing, it is just like the book! Just a bit violent for families though.

Adult Written byMlissasmith October 12, 2018

The hate u give

Adult Written byGrotla October 26, 2018

Powerful!

I can't remember the last time a movie moved me like this. This was powerful. The story starts out a bit slow, with a teen-aged girl exploring her place in the world. After that it blows up into an extremely emotional trip through the challenge of living in a world that sees your very existence as a crime. It explores the choices people make when they really have no choices. It explores the courage it takes to just live your life in a world that won't make space for you. See this movie. It will change you.

Adult Written bybabayaga1 October 7, 2018
Adult Written byKupasamy November 23, 2018

Amazing

I think it is an amazing movie and that it is a really important problem in our life that kids should be aware of it has some inappropriate seeds for little kids but I think kids ten and up can handle them or you can tell you kids to look away or close their ears but those seens should not prevent kids from learning about this very big problem and it is a good inspiration for kids like me.

Adult Written byMhedges12 November 10, 2018
I think this movie was a good family movie. This movie could be iffy for kids under 13 because it is something that is real. If a child has not seen this in their lives it could be really hard for some.

Adult Written byLillianH November 10, 2018

Awesome! Okay for 13+

I think that this is on of the most moving movies that i have ever seen. There is some sexy stuff and violence.

Adult Written byj2lock March 2, 2019

Typical Hollywood slant of police

Hollywood for the sake of making money will produce anything, including movies that will demonize the police force, the ones that actually protect you. There are some bad policemen, very very few,.....you don't need to portray them all as bad.
Adult Written byconcernedparents2019 March 12, 2019

AWFUL!!!!!

Should be rated "R" and not "PG-13." NOT suitable for middle school children or younger teens. Full of vulgar language including several instances of "f*ck," 27 instances of "ass" or similar, teen girl discussion about condom and penis size, anti-law enforcement propaganda. Long scene of high school alcohol drinking party with simulated sex dancing in background. Hero of movie is drug dealer. South Carolina Fraternal order Police Departments said about it..."...indoctrination of distrust of police." School districts have banned book. Pill popping is also mentioned.

Adult Written byjasons72 November 7, 2018

Positive messages

Amazing movie, and gave out really good messages.

Adult Written byAlaysiaKeyonna November 6, 2018

Superlative

This is the best movie I’ve seen all year! The acting is great! The movie film has an extraordinary gist . The message is so clear and the actors show so much clarity while presenting it.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byC0ckneykiwi December 13, 2018

Moving and thought provoking

Watched by parents and child. Really good movie choice. Made real Impact with us all.

Adult Written bymng4vida March 3, 2019

Intense topics to discuss after the movie

This movie was better than I expected. There are some intense scenes. I asked my 10 year old to turn away. The messages are strong but need to be discussed after the movie. There are way too many messages presented and parents should discuss their own family values and experiences.

Adult Written byGiannasMommy35 March 17, 2019

Powerful movie, makes kids proud of who they are

I watched this movie with my 11 and 12 year olds. The movie is very thought-provoking, and there is no iffy vulgar language or sexuality. My kids did not get upset during the shooting or violence. There is some violence in this movie, but in the end, the neighborhood got justice. There is only a few instances of vulgar language, like f*ck (which you can cover the ears if you dont like it). The adults do drink a little but no one gets drunk.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byCooldudeben75 February 19, 2019