Parent reviews for The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus Poster Image

Imaginative aberrancy/lunacy tale could have been better

This very creative and original fantasy thriller could have been epic... if done by a director with more skills. The first half is great; it was really nice to see heath Ledger again. But, things start going south until the end, where you're probably groaning (no spoilers). If you have seen this film and like the ending, then i envy you, because now you own a great movie. For those who didn't like the movie's end scenes, like myself, perhaps we can look back and enjoy some of the better, earlier scenes. parents: There's quite a bit of disturbing violence, including hangings, sensuality, and language. Bottom Line: A great fantasy if you prepare yourself for anything, and I mean anything, that may upset you. Thanks for reading! - Movie Man

My major concern for kids was that they showed people being hanged on several occasions.

A film makers journey into the sublime.

Simply put, this movie is deep. Terry Gilliam is not a film maker of childrens' tales.. (refer back to the Brother's Grimm). I believe the movie was created more as eye candy then it was for actual interpretation. I found if you just let your mind wonder and enjoy what was on screen you were okay. Gillam always presents fairy tales from a rather dark point of view (then again the real ones are pretty nasty), and this tale was no exception to the rule. Parnassus gives into a want and is paying for it, for the rest of his life. At first it was the greed to have eternal life, then it was lust (well, not so much lust but, the desire to have a relationship and a family), then having made a deal with the devil his daughter was up for grabs. So, you see; sorta dealing with the seven deadly sins as well as presenting themes that even though we are human we still value family. I believe the theme of temptation runs thru this film constantly. However, ultimately a father's love is what endures. (Don't want to give too many spoilers here) The acting, is first rate. Christopher Plummer, is spot on. The cameo's (due to Ledgers demise) actually added to the plot beautifully. In fact, I think it only goes to show how creative Gilliam really is. Warning, the cameo's of Depp is short; but well placed. My issues with this film for kids. The lifestyles that are portrayed by Parnassus and the others are sometimes shady. However, at the same time it also states that you have to do what you have to do to survive. While, I personally found the fantasy world of his daughter rather amusing; I don't think I would be really that happy if my 16 year old knew someone for just a few days and then decided to have an intimate affair with them. (I think you have to see the movie to interpret how the cliques run wild with this). I think the movie would be truly understood at around age 15 or with some children younger who were fans of film and imagery. Adults, hang on for the ride and just think "Strawberry Fields". Oh, yes; a positive message. Sometimes we do things to survive but ultimately we live for our children and that happiness is what keeps us content.

A wonderfully odd flick

A very odd movie and story...but for those who love fairy tales and such it is a must see! It is somewhat dark, definitely fantasy. My six year old really enjoyed it...but I don't believe most would. There wasn't anything he couldn't see...

Heath Ledger's final film fails to dissapoint!

This film came out early over in my country, on 23rd October. I went to see the film and when I came out, I was confused, but satisfied. The visuals was very impressive, but by the end the novelty of the imagery and visuals worn off a little. There was a few violent moments and a fair amount of swearing. Plus Dr. Parnassus drinks quite a bit and gambles however he always learned from his mistakes. One of the major characters might upset a few people as he reveals his proper personality. The devil has really good lines which would always get my attention when he spoke. so, 4/5. (P.S: Rest in peace Heath Ledger)

Great for imaginative grownups!

If you like wild fantasy, you'll love this. It carries a message of hope against evil - in fact, evil is seen as rather mundane, and pointless, can't exist without goodness in any case. However the main characters make repeatedly bad decisions! Visually it's rich and deep, and will entrance anyone who's into design. All the actors in it are fabulous, Heath Ledger included, however as already stated in the review, it's very much an ensemble cast so just sit back and enjoy the story. It's far too long and confusing for kids, and unless they're very widely read, and very imaginative, will probably leave most teens cold anyway. I simply adored it but my husband wasn't crazy about it although he did like it. But I love fantasy and surrealism, and he doesn't, so there you have it :)