Parent reviews for The King of Staten Island

Funny, touching Pete Davidson story has profanity, drug use.

Adult Written byMamaWright88 June 19, 2020

Heartwarming and belly laughs

This is a great story of self discovery with great acting and lots of laughs. Sure to be a hit with anyone who watches it. Beware there are themes of sexual references and mild drug and alcohol use.

Adult Written byjeffkay11 June 15, 2020

Apatows appetite for success halted

Well I think I can finally say Judd Apatow is human and that not everything he touches becomes gold or in this case a Box office Hit. Maybe it’s because it didn’t hit the box office literally or maybe it’s because I just had to pay 19.99 on demand to view this movie. I am a huge Judd Apetow fan and love all his movies and this was the first movie I can say I was very excited to be able to watch in the comfort of my own couch and TV. I got even more excited that my brand new Samsung 4K QLED TV can be actually put to use as this movie was shot in 4K. This didnt do justice for the cinematography, though. I’ll get to this in a bit. I think the one thing Judd has figured out is how to get reach and viewership. How? Well Put the so called star of the movie on the Howard Stern Show. Since there has not been any advertising for movies due to the Pandemic, I learned of this movie from the interview of Pete Davidson on the Howard Stern Show. I guess I can’t bash Judd too much because I have to say that I’ve listened to Howard Stern for the past 25 years and his interview with Pete was probably one of the worst I’ve heard. I think we are starting to see the common ground here. Yes, we all know the story and life of Pete Davidson, his dad dying in 9/11, his dark depression he turned to humor, which is the recipe for all comics, his time at SNL, and of course his past relationships. As I’m writing this I have to say that now that I think about SNL I can’t really take away one funny thing he may have done on there. But I can say that I stopped watching SNL along with the entire country about a decade ago. I should of known after listening to the interview with Pete and his “one word”‘answers and just down right boring interview on the Stern show, that this should have been a sign that a good story does not always translate to a good film.
The movie had potential, but I just don’t think it was able to show the depths and darkness with the consistency it deserved. I guess you can say that Judd wasn’t able to get much from Pete on this movie similar to how Howard wasn’t able to get that “magic” he seems to get with just about anyone he interviews. So let’s discuss what the takeaway from the movie is. To be honest I have no idea what the takeaway was? It seemed to have a bunch of sub plots that just all fell flat and never really seemed to hit or really make you feel any type of emotion during this movie. I think that not being honest with oneself and trying to give this movie the emotional feel with fictional facts was a major mistake. We learn in the movie that Pete’s dad died from a house that was on fire while he was trying to rescue two children heroically. I guess that since we already know about how Pete’s Dad died, trying to tell us otherwise on the big screen just seems like we were lied too, and once you learn about that lie then you start to not route for or cheer for the character because we aren’t sure what is real or not. I’m not exactly sure what we were supposed to really Route for during this movie anyway??? Maybe, I really hope he gets the girl at the end, I really hope he becomes successful, I hope his Mom gets to be happy and meet someone knew, I Really hope....blah blah blah. Nope, I didn’t really find myself doing this because how can you route for someone that has some of the worst tattoos on their body in real life. This is why 4K was not the best visual aspect. He made that decision, and yes maybe it was to cover up his scares he made from himself from cutting, but then again he did this to himself. Yes they ploy on this in the movie and do dive into bad tattoos so is this what the movie was saying, that Pete has learned to be able to make fun of himself and be able to laugh at mistakes.
Not when it’s permanent. During the movie we see Pete’s mom played by Marisa Tomei date a divorced dad played by Bill Burr know from Breaking Bad. Again, just a blah inconsistent performance from Marisa. You would of felt that being from New York would of been perfect but this leads me to what I’m getting at. You can have an all-star cast, the best director, and a great story line but if you are not sure what your purpose, motivation, drive, or reasoning for being there is not told to you then you just fade away and never shine thru. I think Judd During the Stern show Pete he tells us this is why he wanted to make this movie. He wanted his mom to know it will be ok to date someone else. Mistake number two, audiences who just paid $20 for a movie will not care about watching a 60 something going out on dates. Somethings gotta give? I just recently watch “Funny People” again for probably the 30th time and when you compare the two movies you can see the drastic ends of the spectrum. That is one of Sandler’s best movies I’ve ever seen him in. You seem him open up and really give us Adam and his emotional range. You find yourself cheering for him, he is real, he is human in that movie and we see that even though he is rich and successful that doesn’t mean he is happy. Be real with the audience and you will get the praise and all glory it deserves. Once you lie to us that movie magic and separation between reality and fiction takes a bad turn. I would steer clear from this one till it hit the TV and save your $20 bucks.

Adult Written bykirbyallen June 14, 2020

10+

I think this movie is great for viewers over the age of 10. Yes, this movie does contain some smoking and swearing and one sex scene at the beginning, but overall it is fine if you think your child can handle it. We watched it as a family (10 year old and 15 year old) and it was fine for their age levels and we didn't see any problems or them using different words or anything after we watched the movie.

Adult Written byLuckyCedarlane June 14, 2020
Adult Written bychessbuff77 June 14, 2020

Good movie but not for Kids

I like Pete Davidson and so does my 13 year old son and we are from Staten Island so was really looking forward to this movie. We started watching this movie with my wife and older son (13). It soon became very uncomfortable with a sex scene right in the beginning that was completely unnecessary. Within the first 5 minutes there we so many F*** and M**F** and sex scene that my wife decided to stop watching and after 12 minutes into the movie my son and I agreed that it was probably too early for him to watch this movie. I was the only one who finished the movie which is a shame as this is a good funny movie with a good message but definitely not for kids below 15. I think I agree with the rating from editors regarding age appropriateness for kids. Good movie though highly recommend it. Well developed characters and good message overall.

Adult Written byJabberMama June 13, 2020

A few scenes ruin the rating

It was a great movie overall. The sex scene was unnecessary a little much for my 11year olds comfort. The language and drug use were high but tolerable. It reiterated the fact that drug use parallels illegal behavior.

Adult Written byIguana Mentaliy June 12, 2020

Great Movie

I think The King of Staten Island is a great movie. It does curse a bit in this movie but nevertheless, I think it gives a good message and overall I would say 10 or 11 + could probably watch this movie. My son is 10 and he watched it. I recommend this movie to everyone!