All parent member reviews for The Last Song

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byOhioParent June 18, 2010
I try to preview what my daughters watch. This movie was actually very good. I believe that this movie is very powerful in both its messages about love and death. That is why I don't recommend it for under 13 as the manner in which these topics are handled may be too much for 12 and under. I would like my kids to not have to try to understand grown up topics before they need to.
Educator and Parent Written byNast101 June 7, 2015

Okay skipping the fact that Miley's clothing in some scenes is a little bit skimpy, I would say that this is probably the best modern romance I have ever scene. Its also a movie about family and forgiveness. I really love how this movie is not all about "sex" and how Ronnie changes from this really hardened brat to this gorgeous passionate soul. It will make you smile big and make you cry too! But watch it because love melts ice.
Adult Written bylorlinhail April 1, 2010
Some role models are bad but they tend to get themselves together in the end. Main character is a bad attitude teen who turns around to be a wonderful role model. Some adult emotional things, divorce and parent dying are extremely tearful and could be tough on younger kids. Also some younger kids would be bored of this. Not a fun type of kid movie, more for 13 and up.
Parent of a 13 and 14 year old Written bykhopper April 4, 2010
Althought there are things that happen in the movie that I would not want my kids to do. I have raised them to right from wrong. They its only a movie. They are mature enough that just beacause they see something in a movie does not mean they imatate those actions. The characters in the movie grow. There are several possitive messages. Miley Cyrus did a good job. I was pleasently surprised. As you get in into the movie you see the characture she plays not Miley Cyrus. To me that means she did a good job.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byTlmcin2 August 19, 2010
Parent of a 9 year old Written byMissECE October 13, 2012

It's never too late !!

Ronnie's character meets a boy and falls in love helping her character change how she feels about people and the world. A very positive message to a young girl.
Adult Written bybitesizemoviereview August 6, 2012

Pathetic acting and plot, fine for kids

I'm not sure why this movie was made. Cyrus is not a talented actress by any stretch and her character spends most of the movie treating her family like trash. And the cause for her transformation from a bratty child to a loving daughter? A boy, of course. This plot is so cliche and the acting is so terrible, except from the actor who plays Cyrus' father. Avoid if possible. If you must watch, then you've been forewarned.
Adult Written byBeckstar October 29, 2011

too emotional for kids

This film is not geared towards children, but I think a lot of Miley fans went to see it because she was in it. A guy also dies in this film and he is seen dead from behind. It is very emotional.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byfroggey206 August 24, 2011

How Mature?

its ok for some kids depending how mature they are
Adult Written bybianca7788 May 16, 2011

Depending on maturity

At the starting of the movie Ronnie[ veronica] is a very bad role model, rebelling against her family and hanging around with rebellious kids. It is violent, not very violent but there is one fight that is violent. Ronnie's father gets cancer and at the end and during it is very emotional and for some kids hard to understand. It's a tearjerker at the end so if your a cryer at movies then prepare yourselves! I rated it 12+ because most kids under that age might not understand the concept of the movie, but if you know you or your kids are mature enough then go for it!
Parent of a 13 year old Written bySexy man man March 9, 2011
I love it yay
Parent of a 8 year old Written byerin gerber February 22, 2011

good for 8+

it is the best nichols sparks movie yet
Parent of a 17 year old Written bybpsouto January 28, 2011
i love it!
Parent of a 9 year old Written bycarter0617 November 1, 2010
i think the last song is a wonderful movie some parts i wish my children didnt see i think that you should not take kids under 8 there is one fighting secen to
Adult Written byjoshua martinez September 5, 2010
The Last Song is a great and a sad drama movie despite that the rating is PG this movie does pushes a little bit off the edge for a PG movie and this movie is only for your older teens and parents you need to know that The Last Song deals with some heavy themes that maybe too much for your young kids to understand such as divorce, abusive relationships, and death also there are some mild violence such as a boy takes a crowbar and tries to hit another with it during a fight also there are some passionate kissing and there are some mild language used and teenagers do drink in one scene the message is pretty deep it's about that Love transforms even the most hardened souls, though it’s not always enough to sustain marriages. But forgiveness helps bridge the gap.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bybrianna4209 August 28, 2010

good for tweens

i love it
Parent of a 8 year old Written bynanny222 August 19, 2010
Parent of a 17 year old Written byStephanie_M June 2, 2010

Havent seen the actual movie yet

But my daughter and i read the novel and loved it so hopefully the film won't disappoint us!!!
Parent of a 12 year old Written bykrista1 April 20, 2010

good for tweens! 12/13 up

alot of teenage kissing! ha the boyfriend has his shirt off alot! but all movies do now. very good messages for teens/preteeen! shows how chooising wrong boyfriends, deals with death, parents divorce,teen rebel turning around, shop lifting isnt good! positive messages!
Adult Written bysmoothmoves97 April 17, 2010

Love this!

May not be appropriate for tweens. There is entirely too much kissing for my taste and the more sensitive viewers may not like it because of an unexpected twist, which I won't reveal. The Last Song is a powerful movie. Few movies celebrate REAL music, not rap or pop, but the instruments on which actual music was founded. I did think it was a bit unrealistic that Ronnie got accepted into that prestigious of a music school - she didn't even apply. If she did the movie didn't say it. There is a lot of crying, a lot of kissing, a lot of hugging. One violent scene. One scene shows Will and Ronnie hosing off after a mud fight. Ronnie stuffs some padding down a dress she tries on. Overall I would recommend this for 12 or 13.