Parent reviews for The Last Unicorn

Classic '80s animated fantasy has some scary moments.

Parent of a 4, 5, and 9 year old Written bybchicmomma September 20, 2009

Not a movie for kids at all!

This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. My children also thought so. There is a scene were a magician turns a tree into a woman's form and her giant boobs are smothering him-- my 5 year old son and 9 year old daughter thought it was really weird as did I. Then a harpy-- a vicious hawk-like bird with two sets of dangling human-looking boobs is seen killing and presumably eating an old witch. A prince falls in love with a woman (a unicorn) and for the life of us we cannot figure out why except that she is beautiful-- she is sad and mopey and complains the whole time. I have read other sites and this movie has a cult following and is admitted by these people that it is not a film for kids and should not be marketed as such. There is also a very scary giant menacing bull that gave my kids nightmares. We watched it because a trusted friend with kids the same age said her kids loved it, but then she admitted that she had never watched it with them. I found nothing redeeming about this movie at all.

Adult Written bynduns August 8, 2009

Okay, CS, do you even PAY ATTENTION half the time?

Dude, the prince in this movie states the very message this film is getting across near the end. Honestly, you people just don't realize how well-written this movie is, but I guess that's alright. Nor do the vast majority of critics out there. Yes, it gets confusing at times, and perhaps it's a little overwritten, but it's still a beautiful film and one of my personal favorite fantasy movies.

Parent of a 3 year old Written bytattooed_dad February 25, 2011
This review misses some huge issues... 1 the vulture has huge swinging breasts with visible nipples... seconds later it kills a man. A couple minutes later the wizard turns the tree he's tied to into a woman and his face is pressed in between her breasts with some extremely suggestive banter.

Parent of a 3 year old Written byLtTawnyMadison August 10, 2011

Beautiful film that kids of today can still love

I saw this in the theater at 8 years old and it's been one of my favorite animated movies since (and I am a huge animation buff). The animation and music are gorgeous, and the story is deep. The children who have watched my copy of it since I became an adult have absolutely loved it as well, particularly the girls. My daughter first watched it at 6, which I felt was too young but she LOVES unicorns and really wanted to see it after hearing the music. She was OK watching it with me but got too creeped out when she tried to watch it again by herself. It does have some very scary scenes, and adult language at times; perhaps because the author of the book, which is geared toward young adults, wrote the screenplay. Some have complained about the tree's "breasts" but that is something that either goes right over kids' heads or they think it's funny, like fart jokes. The tree looks grandmotherly, not sexy. That the unicorn as a girl is naked at first is very modestly done, with her always covered either by her hair or a cloak. It is neither sexual nor perverse. I was more bothered by Elsa's transformation into a sashaying Dolly Parton with long slitted dress (and what message that sends) than by anything in this. 7 or 8 minimum age depending on your child's sensitivity to scary scenes.

Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byamandolin February 5, 2014

Overview not quite correct (hopefully this review remedies that)

I just wanted to mention that despite the overview saying that there is no applicable drinking/drug use, there are instances of drinking wine and smoking, including a section where a skeleton gives the group some info in exchange for some "wine" (it's just an empty bottle). The skeleton is very demanding about it and acts as if he is addicted/an alcoholic. There is also a section where the wizard is tied up to a tree that turns into a woman with very large breasts and he is squished between them. While not technically sex, it does seem out of place in a kids movie.

Adult Written byScathach April 9, 2008

Watch this one with your kids--I love it!

I first watched this movie with my own kids, back in the 80s. One of my children--the youngest--did have some issues with it. He always was very sensitive to visual stimulus. There are several truly good messages embedded in it: helping others, believing in others and yourself, fighting for what's right. I also love the animation. It is not Walt Disney. It is beautiful in my opinion, even if it seems dated to some. I introduced my grandson to it last winter just after his 3rd birthday but I stayed with him and watched his reaction, prepared to turn it off if need be. He was quite taken with it and at the end, he shouted "She's fighting back" joyfully as the unicorn turns to face the red bull. He asked to see it again and again for about a month. This movie is not a simple story and takes aim at some pretty deep issues: death, love, regret, identity, facing fear. I think it will be revisited from time to time--I own the DVD, so we can do that, but only if he asks for it. I recommend this film so long as you stay in the room while the child is watching and pay attention to their reactions, be ready to talk about it if the child needs or wants to.
Adult Written byDissy July 1, 2012

An Old Classic

Back when i was around five this was one of my favorite and most beloved films, I believe i still have it after throwing alot of my old films out. The animation may not appeal to everyone but personally i love how unique and different it is, I am sure there won't be another film with the same style as this one. I have to be honest here, when i was younger there were definitely a few violent and graphic scenes that i would reach for the remote and quickly fast forward past however given a few more years and i would quite merrily sit there and watch through them. The title character was, and always has been my favorite character of the film, portraying an innocent and angelic figure who despite falling in love, know's her place in the world. She accepts that she would not of been able to continue her life with her loved one and creates a very bitter sweet ending which departs from most fantasy films created today. A beautiful classic however people should keep in mind it was created without the strict rules that now surround the family films of today.

Adult Written byJonathonWilder June 20, 2011

There is a Positive Message to The Last Unicorn

The Last Unicorn is a magical story full of positive imagery with a message of peace, understanding, and positive change and growth. It's not only about heroes, wizardry, winning battles, and fighting monsters; it is a tale about growing up and the discovery of your special place in the world: an original fairy tale of transformation and the realization of our dreams.

Parent of an infant and 7 year old Written byfairknowledge February 25, 2011

Beautiful animation

A bit scary for young ones but a great fantasy story...Lots to talk about: mythical creatures, not judging by appearances, believing in yourself...
Adult Written byTheLastUnicornFan123 May 23, 2009
OH MY GOD i loved this movie. I know this movie is for children but i am 43 years old and I STILL love this movie. The epic struggle between the unicorn and his enemies is entertaining and inspiring. It teaches everyone how to never give up and that those pure in heart will succeed over evil. This movie is perfect for everyone no matter what age!
Parent Written by[email protected] September 7, 2015

Read The Book First

This movie is one of the greatest movies I ever watched. I started preparing to share this experience with my daughter the day she was born, it had played such an important part of my childhood. The key here is that the author, Peter S. Beagle, wrote the screenplay as well as the book itself. And several of his jokes and notations from the book made it into the movie -- but the background did not. When you're a child, that might not make much difference, but as an adult, it can be wildly frustrating. After reading the book as an adult, parts of the movie made much more sense than before.
Parent of a 4 and 4 year old Written byTwins Papa February 3, 2011

No way should this movie be rated G

My four year old daughter has this obsession with unicorns so I see this movie at Hastings. Whoever thought this movie should be rated G is crazy! I've read reviews from people who love the book. I never read it but this movie is just plain dumb. It makes no sense at all.

Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 29, 2009

awful

awful awful movie!!!!
Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

i laughed

This movie cute & sweet! there is nothing wrong with this movie. my daughter thought it was good.
Adult Written byJeanneRehnberg March 4, 2016

Adult Written byMetanoia September 14, 2012

Better than Disney

I received this movie when I was about 4 or 5 and I watched it until the VCR cover was falling apart. I watched it until my entire family could recite it word for word. I am as old as this movie and I still watch it several times a year. Yes it now seems a little dated, however at the time the animation style was cutting edge and it has a much more Japanese animation style feel, than a western feel, with credits confirming Japanese animation influence. As a young girl this movie had everything you could want. It has fantastic fantasy elements -witches and wizards, a lonely old king in a huge old castle, a prince, a talking cat and a skeleton that drunkenly comes to life (one of my favourite parts), and of course the unicorn. I loved the introduction of lesser known fantasy creatures such as the harpy and manticore. Some parts with the red bull and the harpy might be a little scary to very young children so consider your own childs maturity. I gave my VCR copy to a friends 5 year old girl when I found the movie on DVD and she also loved it so much she was watching it once a week, so I do think a young child with a passion for fantasy would adore this movie just as I did. There are positive role models in both the male and female characters and while the women are a little guided by the male characters in some moments of conflict they have much more agency than a disney movie. The ending isn't a typical "prince gets the girl and everyone lives happily ever after"... but as Schmendrick the Magician says "there are no happy endings, because nothing ends" Don't underestimate this movie because it was made in 1982. There are some very famous names doing the voices and you can also use the movie to lead into a love of reading with the book "The Last Unicorn" by Peter S Beagle from while this adaptation is derived.

Adult Written bymils24 April 4, 2012

the last unicorn

its one of the best movies i have ever seen .

Adult Written byKerry H. December 30, 2017

I was terrified in 1982

I was 5 when I saw this in theatres in 1982. Decided to rewatch it on Netflix last night as I remember being terrified. Now I see why. Holy crap, no wonder I started having night terrors as a young kid.... a sharp-clawed Harpie that kills it's witchy captor (and eats her??), a seething flaming red bull intent on killing the *last* unicorn, all the unicorns but the last that have been drowned in the sea by a creepy old King living in a decrepit castle. Definitely not made for little ones... maybe in the 80's when things were different, but my nervous system remembers being frightened. Also meh, it's not that great a movie.

Adult Written byMsJ1 September 22, 2011

I think it is great!

It was actually a group of 5 year olds who introduced me to this movie. On one of the rest time CDs i had in my VPK class had the theme from this movie on it. A group of girls go excited about it and told they loved this movie. Well I acquired the movie and watched it. We spent many long afternoon watching this movie in class it was actually the only movie that they would sit down and watch for any length of time while the younger children napped. So it is really about the child I didn't find anything in that movie that was too intense. I especially like the quote "We are not always what we seem and hardly ever what we dream."
Adult Written byjsheffey April 9, 2008

my kids like it!

my kids love this movie - they are very young, and some parents might night want their young kids to see it because the movie can be a little scary.