Kid reviews for The Last Unicorn

Classic '80s animated fantasy has some scary moments.

Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeAelita November 19, 2009

Cute movie...

Another movie I used to love as a kid, it made me cry, but I still loved it! I would watch it over & over again, always singing along to the songs :) It is a bit violent, & sure there are a couple 'scarry' looking creatures...But the only age group that should scare, is under 4years old...If it scares any older kids-than they're babied...Please don't take that the wrong way parents... There is NO bad language at all, mild violence, & a little bit of magic, but it's a cartoon! You never see anyone actually die, that old witch, the harpy decends upon her, but you never see her die {sure it's implied & that's what happens, but still} Overall i think it's a decent movie for all ages :) When I was little, I got scarred easily, this did not scare me at all! ^_^
Teen, 17 years old Written byyese30 December 6, 2016

Very Distubing (warning this review has spoilers for your safety)

Even though it is very well animated, it has very disturbing action thematic events and imagery. Don't let the "rated G" fool you, the story can very blurry and messy for younger viewer's to understand. In the scene where the unicorn released from the circus, the witch dies by a bird brutally attacking her. In the book it mentions the bird is ripping and eating the witch's heart out, even though the movie doesn't show blood, there is lots of death scenes, similar to this one. Also in a another scene, a wizard get tied to a tree and attempts to escape with a spell, but then accidentally makes the tree grow alive and grow breasts, his head caught between them, this could be very awkward for children and adults alike, going into the movie as a family for the first time. plus when the unicorn turns into a human, there is slight nudity, even though they censored the body, just be aware of that. Last complaint is when the unicorn and the rest of the crew are escaping the palace, there is a drunk skull that can be very scary to young children, and a it was a traumatizing scene (Plus traumatizing movie altogether) as a child. Overall this could either be a very disappointing or great film depending on your tastes, But please, Please, proceed with caution.

Kid, 12 years old May 8, 2010

lame, horribly made movie that no kid wants to sit through.

The Last Unicorn is a porrly made and boring movie about a unicorn that is said to be the last unicorn on earth, but is changed into a human through a spell and falls in love with prince (of course). Although the cover looks extremly kid friendly it isn't. There is some bad language that kid under eight don't need to hear and some briefly sad and disturbing images that they don't need to see.

Kid, 10 years old May 11, 2012

not the best...

see I don't really like it it scared me I hated the talking skeleton dude and the red bull the bird it shouldn't be rated G, G is for all audiences it should be PG so I dont like it that much I only saw it once I love unicorns and all but, not this one in this movie

Teen, 15 years old Written byjkn127 July 21, 2010

cute but far from "G"rated

this is a very cute film it looks nice and it's good for kids. However there are to parts that refer to female breast in very non-subtle ways but if your kids are mature they will be able t deal with it

Teen, 15 years old Written bycapobi73 February 18, 2018

I watched this when I was around five and was permanently scarred.

I watched this movie at a friends house when I was little and rewatched it today as a fifteen year old. When I was younger, I was DEATHLY afraid of red eyes and mind control. When the skeleton's eyes turn red and he screams in a taunting tone, I remember running out of the room in fear. Other things I didn't like or found disturbing: the tree with boobs (???), the harpy with boobs (?????), the harpy eating an old lady, an old dude keeping thousands of animals captive, the enormous nose of the guy with the blue mage hat, and the absolute lack of plot. Please, for the love of God, don't watch this movie.

Teen, 17 years old Written byDominicboo1 September 8, 2013

Underrated Movie Has More Charm Than Common Sense Gives it Credit For

Now I'd like to state that even though this movie is made by Rankin Bass...it's not Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. It's a dark, fantastic, movie that fans of the book should love. The dialgoue is often spot on with the book. However the Red Bull is a frighetning character, and there are a couple of hells and damns. The characters are interesting enough to make it at least midly entertaining for most older children.

Teen, 14 years old Written byParamoreFan09 February 21, 2011

Along with Yo Gabba Gabba, this is one of the most ridiculous children's entertainment I have ever seen. Waste of your time.

OH MY GOD. This is such a weird stupid pointless movie. And rated G? Noooo. That's just ridiculous. There is a tree that has breasts and is flirting with the main guy and getting him REEALLY close to her (if you know what I mean)! what the...?! There are many uses of "hell" and "d*mn". The unicorn character doesn't even have a NAME. I would say this is only fun to laugh at with friends at age 12 because of it's ridiculous stupidity. I mean honestly, who would actually LIKE this?! Really, people... with the fantastic Disney and Pixar movies out there, who needs this garbage.

Teen, 17 years old Written byPruß May 6, 2016

Pretty incredible

I first watched this when I was maybe about four. I remember begging my mum to rent it whenever we went to blockbuster. Of course, being a little girl I loved unicorns, and I thought Amalthea was pretty. All in all, I loved it when I was little. The only thing that ever actually bothered me was the skeleton. Now that I'm older, I recently rewatched it. The video quality is a bit fuzzy, but the background art is gorgeous, and the character designs are so interesting. Mommy Fortuna is an especially wonderful design. All the characters have distinct personalities, which is pretty incredible for a children's movie. It's a bit of a slow beginning, but once the story gets moving it's definitely quite interesting. People seem to have an issue with the tree having big boobs. It's not really played off as a sexual moment, more like an awkward one where we're supposed to feel secondhand embarrassment for Schmendrick. The tree isn't hot, she's grandmotherly. The skeleton in king Haggard's castle is also pretty big on wine, but really that could be much worse. It went over my head when I was a kid, so I really doubt other children would pick up on that. Another thing that will probably go over younger kid's heads is Molly's comments on how Amalthea never came to her when she was young. The usual mythology surround unicorns is that they only appear to '''virgin maidens''', so it's vaguely implying that she had a rough life and some things happened. All in all though, it's a very good movie for the time it was made and what it is. It goes against the prince gets the girl thing, and nothing comes easy to any of them. It's not a happy ending, it's bittersweet and beautiful.

Teen, 17 years old Written byviolets1 December 13, 2014

A Classic

I loved this movie so much when i was younger. Its one of the few films i remember that made a positive impression on me when i was younger. It has a great story and is very beautiful. There is mild violence and a few scary characters but not any child of eight wouldn't be able to handle. I would suggest this film to anyone with a young girl who loves fantasy as much as i did and do.

Kid, 10 years old March 29, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written byLikeTheWind.Lyla November 10, 2017

The best but not for young ones

I watched this when i was 3 and couldnt stop. My mother thought it would be a child friendly movie but its not. Very dark, it will always be my fav tho. Amazing!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written bysoniclover March 7, 2017

Tree with boobs gave me a frighten

The angry tree lady was a spook for me and my thirteen children, DON'T GIVE THE CHILDREN A FRIGHTEN. DO NOT WATCH

Kid, 8 years old March 3, 2017

stinkapalooza

this movie is awful because it sexist. One of the main characters triped and screams. She is the worst.