Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

Lego friends back for more adventure, action in fun sequel.

Parent Written byDan G. February 7, 2019

Entertaining Family Fare

I took my family to see the Lego Movie 2 at the very first showing at our local movie theater. As far as any objectionable material, there is a lot of LEGO fantasy violence, however most of the violence is directed towards the non-anthropomorphic bricks (vehicles, buildings, spacecraft, etc.) and I do not think it would bother any of the grade school set. I think I caught a 'Heck!', and that was the worst of anything considered bad language. I really enjoyed the first Lego Movie (I played with Legos in my youth and got the humor), and this one is very similar, but sequels have a hard time living up to the original. I laughed out loud a few times, but found my mind wandering during a few of the chase sequences, although the writers worked to keep it interesting with humorous exchanges between the characters.

Parent Written byMarianne J. February 9, 2019

Fun day date with my boys.

My 3 and 5 year old love LEGOS so we had to go see this right away. They already want to own every LEGO made so I wasn't too concerned about consumerism. I was worried that there might be stuff too scary for my 3 year old but since it's all from a familiar source and looks nothing like people he didn't have any problems at all. My 5 year old was so engrossed he didn't even eat the pizza sitting in front of him. I actually through it was pretty funny. I laughed out loud multiple times. Overall I was pleasantly surprised.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byPhoenix T. February 11, 2019

Very disappointing. Much darker. 60% 'seriously' dorky film completely fails at even coming close to recreating the positive magic of the orginal Lego Movie. Completely fails. Chaotic and scattered incoherent mess. Not nearly as inspired or as good as the original. The Lego Movie 2 is a dark & at times dorky attempted rehash of the first. Lots of adult oriented humor & plot points & incoherently threaded explosions that will go over the heads of most kids. Big letdown from Lego Movie #1. Don't bother.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byGerald Z. February 11, 2019

Terrible let down from the first one. Confusing to my child.

Wow. Did a bunch of Hollywood execs just try to minimize their costs on making this child friendly? This film is a real dud and disappointment. Its clearly oriented for adults and not children. The film is completley missing the charm and positive energy of the original.

Adult Written byAustin G. January 26, 2019

Can't Reach the Greatness of the First

In short, I'd say this is a decent matinee for the kids, or something for you to watch at home in three or four months. Nothing to rush out and see unless you really want to.

Parent of a 12 year old Written bydbowker3d February 15, 2019

A Perfect Follow-up to The LEGO Movie

Not only was this extremely funny, the story perfectly (and logically) extended what was set up at the end of the first movie. There is a bit of Toy Story 3 in this one, in that it definitely addresses the tension between staying young and innocent and wanting to seem grown up. The whole family went for opening night, and even our pre-teen son who is starting to think movies like this aren't "cool" anymore enjoyed it all. Anyone with a sibling will appreciate and understand where the filmmakers are coming from here. Like the first movie, the set designs are amazing, the action is both outrageous and creative, and most importantly, underneath it all is a warm-hearted approach to childhood and family. We loved all the new characters too, pretty much everyone on screen got a chance to grow a bit. For die-hard LEGO fans (as we are in our house) there are a ton of clever in-jokes, especially regarding the differences between the "traditional" LEGO sets/characters and the more "girl" oriented LEGO Friends lines. Based on a couple of the reviews here I think some of this aspect was lost on some of viewers, but for those that want more, it's there.

Parent Written bydarrenreviews February 8, 2019

Great movie, but really disappointing ending.

Ok now first of all one thing that you should know, is that this movie so-called "apocalypse" thingy, was not at all very long!!! the total screen time of the subject merely lasted 10 minutes at the least !!!! I'm not upset about it, I'm just informing some of you if you are coming for an Apocolypse too bad. however I was pleased with this it starts sorta fast -paced. now it takes 99% of the movie in space. basically, most of the stuff you saw in the trailer did not really last. now I loved the film 3x better than the first but ending. So So it ends with the 14-year-old boy playing with his sister and making hearts and girly crap. and most of it was cringe-worthy after that. this one was girly it just kind of ruined it for me. :( ok it was totally child-friendly though take for 4 year old or something. also, the violence was like the same level as the first, so basically if you have seen the first you're fine. :D also consumerism was also So So,they have like a billion sets from the movie!!! and most of them are really stupid like a scene that had the shapeshifter queen be a horse for like 10 seconds LEGO SET!!!!!! really good message and role models.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byCooldudeben75 February 10, 2019

I’ll

Buy The DVD When It’s Out

Adult Written byStevie111 February 8, 2019

Hysterical sequel lives up to the first

The Lego Movie 2 is an extremely well done sequel that I definitely think is funnier than the first. I'm don't know that I would say it was better, but it is filled with humor and I'm sure I'll still be finding jokes I missed after the 10th watch. I liked the way they balanced the story with the messages, too. The voice cast is brilliant, and overall I thought the movie was terrific. There is similar action to the first. There are lasers, explosions, and lego cities get destroyed. I think a lot of the humor will appeal to adults more than kids, but the movie is pretty mild. I highly recommend it

Adult Written byAVR reviews February 10, 2019

Fantastic!!!

It was another great LEGO and Warner Bros. team up. It showed how in an apocalypse Emmet is still always his usual positive self and nobody liked how happy he was during this time and wanted him to change (grow up) then realizing later he was already great. They also added afew new songs. This movie was great for the family and funny.Enjoy the movie!!!

Parent of a 6, 7, 13, and 14 year old Written byKsandmom4 February 25, 2019

My girls loved it!

Adult Written byKennedyKid February 17, 2019

GREAT FILM

It's just as good if not better than the first one. The songs are catchy (no pun intended) and the messages are clear as day. Everyone giving bad reviews are trolling.

Parent of a 2, 6, and 9 year old Written byJason B. March 7, 2019

Builds on the first Lego Movie

The story continues directly from the original and then jumps 5 years. Plenty of 80s/90s movie jokes for the parents. Characters learn the value of being who they are and not trying to be tough or change for others. My kids loved the movie and the soundtrack, which they won't stop playing! It is probably for ages 5+, but nothing scary or bad for younger kids. My 2.5 year old loves it also.

Parent Written byxkrien February 28, 2019

its super good

its just family fun!

Adult Written byC77 March 22, 2019

Fun entertaining kids movie

While this doesn't meet the success of the first Lego movie, this was cute and put together well. Some of the jokes will go over kids heads, but nothing inappropriate. We all enjoyed it and will probably give it a second viewing before it leaves the theatre on discount Tuesdays.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byRachel D. April 15, 2019

Creepy and way too dark

Having really enjoyed the first Lego movie, my 8 year old son and I settled down to watch this sequel. So we were shocked and dismayed to see this post-apocalyptic vision, full of destruction and fear, like something out of Mad Max. We had to shut it off after 5 minutes because it was just too scary for my 8 year old. What a shame! I get that almost all movies being made these days contain an extraordinary amount of fear and violence, and it's a shame that kids movies are following suit.