All parent member reviews for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Parent Written bybabysitrcares May 26, 2011

Has my vote for tweens!

Wonderful classic movie series! Perfect for young tweens and up! Encourage them to read the books as well, they're exciting with lots of action, but are written intelligently, unlike the Twilight phoneme. Some parts may be scary to young children.
Adult Written byuranus1945 May 7, 2009

Beware of graphic violence and scary scenes

Outstanding film but be warned, there is tons of violence! (Spoilers following) The violent scenes include: a main character getting shot in a river by arrows, drenching the river with blood; Aragorn chopping an orc's head of, splattering his face with blood; Boromir getting slowly shot by arrows, you can hear his painful gasps of breath and the blood dribble from his wounds slowly; Aragorn chops an Uruk's arm off and stabs him, the Uruk pulls the blood stained sword further in him, you can hear the flesh tearing and blood dribbling from his mouth, which Aragorn chops his head off with such force chunks of flesh fly everywhere. Lots of scary scenes, too.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great action movie

My 6 year old loves this movie; but he loves orcs and knights.
Parent of a 8, 14, and 16 year old Written bymomofvt December 20, 2012

Wonderful films, but not for children.

This is a great movie but it is not a children's movie. Just because there are little folks in it doesn't mean it's meant for little people to see. I say that when children are old enough to read the books they're old enough to see the movies.
Parent Written byStepMomSterToo January 11, 2011

Enjoy with your teen.

This movie is great. Not very close to the book, because of how epic the book is. However, the characters are well developed, the battle scenes are enjoyable without being too gory. Very good fantasy movie. Not for preteens and younger.
Adult Written bysweetypieinusa April 9, 2008

seen all three -excellant

as a mother of 2 daughters and one son , I found this movie violent but fantasy violence to me is completly different than the trash on tv.I would rather my children watch swords and monsters such as the orcs than a drug deal gone bad, or a robbery, or some woman getting raped.my children know that this type of movie is not real .that trash on tv is a fact of life. not to say that reality is not what my children need to know about, but if they can get some entertainment with fantasy viewing rather than the harshness of reality then I am for it. they will face the real world soon enough with all of its ugliness. I like that the lord of the rings is the fight between good and evil.it shows that there is good people ,no matter who they are can be tempted with evil and how as people you have to make choices .some are difficult and there are easy ways out but you must choose the good road.
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 24, 2012

Awesome horror movie!

This movie was EPIC! It was funny and action packed at the same time LOL.If you love horror movies you'll LOVE this one!
Adult Written byClassicCultReviewer June 18, 2009

Parent Written byPlague December 15, 2009

the Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Awesome movie for the whole family. Breathtaking settings and stunning effects. Simply remarkable.
Adult Written bymca27@optonline.net February 24, 2009

o my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this movie is the best movie ever my best frend saw it when we were ehght and we still are this is the best movie
Adult Written byJess-i April 9, 2008

Good production almost perfect.

This was one of the better movies I have seen. As a big fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's books, I was eager to see the movie. After seeing it, I was quite happy with how the movie turned out. A few issues: -Plot. Though it closely follows the book, there are a few details that don't make sense, eg. Aragorn fights the Nine Riders with a sword at Weathertop when in the book he only had the broken Narsil at that point. -Violence. Since movie makers wanted a broad audience, there is a fair bit of tense moments that were added that the book did not include-- eg. the incident with the "watcher at the water" before Moria was somewhat played up. But this movie stays very true to the Spirit of Middle Earth and was great to watch.
Adult Written bybrownie April 9, 2008

Phenomenal

This is a fantastic movie. The fighting scenes are not graphic, and there's no idiotic sexual content. There a lot of good elements in this movie. If you can handle violence in a movie, than I would certainly reccomend it.
Adult Written byHeroneSilverton April 9, 2008

An Amazing Movie

This movie series, based on possibly the best fantasy epic trilogy of all time, does a fantastic job of living up to the books. Though, as with all movies based on books, there are details left out, those who read the book will most likely feel that it has been done justice. The action is very well done, but it is intense, and perhaps too much for younger viewers. Of the three movies this is the least violent, and it focuses much more on the adventure than on battles. The beginning and all that takes place in the Shire is very charming, and gives a wonderful contrast to Mordor. The only reference to alcohol is in the Prancing Pony, when Pippen gets a bit tipsy and gives them away. Near the end, it can get frightening, especially when the creature of fire appears in Mordor. There is also a sad death of a character, so if you are watching with children, you should watch out for that. I believe the only disembodyments in the movie are when Aragorn is fighting Lurtz, cutting off his arm and then his head, though there is no blood shown. The orcs can also be rather gruesome. Despite some of this, this is a truly fantastic movie, and is best to show the movie to preteens at youngest. Though the younger ones may be able to handle the violence, they will not be able to understand the incredible story, unless they are mature for their age. An absolute moust see.
Parent Written byTHE MOVIE BUF!!!!! July 12, 2011

Very good

Very good
Adult Written byMi3 February 2, 2011

really good movie! great for teens
Parent Written byMagidad May 14, 2010

Brilliant; what can I say that hasn't already been said?

This movie is Amazing. It is violent and scary at times. The orcs are gross and scary looking and could frighten young sensitive children. It's themes are greatly covered. And the film is wonderfully filmed and expertly acted. This movie is pretty tense but is the least tense of the movies in the trilogy. Frodo is a great hero in this film but it is his Hobbit friends who are even more amazing. They help Frodo because they want to and not because they feel any obligation to him. My favorite scene is very early in the film when Samwise realizes that he has never been so far from home before but continues forward without hesitation. We should all recognize and accept change that easy.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Adult Written byguitar-tech April 9, 2008

Excellent Epic tale of good versus evil

Adult Written bycrap April 9, 2008

i was watching it for a week

this movie has very intense violence
Educator and Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bykandrews8383 April 12, 2015

As long as you explain the way a movie works before you watch it...

I love this movie, it is one of my faves! It is extremely intense in some parts and pretty scary. I talked this movie up to my 8 year old, told her how monsters are made, and how the actors rehearse lines. I also explained death scenes and how they work. I wanted to make sure that she was 100% clear that nothing was real only a movie. during the film, I made sure as well that she wasn't feeling scared. THIS KID LOVED IT! She wants little Frodo figurines and begging me to watch the third. We still haven't gotten a chance to, but will soon. Lots of gore, and fighting but overall great adventure tale and great tale of loyalty!