All parent member reviews for The Lost Boys

Adult Written byuslesrcool47 April 9, 2008

should not be "R"

I am 13 years old and had a very hard time convincing my parents to let me see this moveie because of it's "R" rating. After seeing this film I was unsure of why it was rated R. There was some language, but nothing worse than the "S" word, which is used in PG-13 movies all the time. There was brief sexual content, involving two characters making out on a bed, the girl didnt have a shirt on, but you could only see her back. This film is quite gory with teenagers violently killing vampires, but with all the gory video games today, this should not be an issue for most kids. I would say this is a great movie that everybody should see, but i might caution children under 12 who want to see this.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 15 year old Written byslt208 November 3, 2010

Obvious Negatives, Hidden Positives

If you (or your teenage daughter!) are looking for a vampire movie, I think this is a better choice than the less violent but more insidious Twilight series movies, especially for girls. While Lost Boys includes strong graphic violence and implied sex, it disguises positive messages under the disreputable surface; whereas, the Twilight series movies seem benign on the surface but glorify melodrama, suicide, and self-ostracism. Some of the positive themes that can be teased out of the Lost Boys subtext involve the importance of family loyalty, the need to adapt to new circumstances (younger brother who successfully adapts is the hero who saves older brother that gets in trouble trying to fit in with dangerous crowd), and the idea that it's never too late to turn your back on a wrong path or group. After watching this movie with my 15-year-old daughter, we talked about real-life examples of peer pressure and how hard it is to stop participating in something that is wrong once you get started.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bynadjaj October 18, 2013

Good "intro to vampires" movie. Lots to discuss about what people do to try to fit in.

Talk about a great movie to discuss what it feels like to want to fit in with the "cool" crowd! Michael feels alone after moving to a new town. Chasing a girl, he takes a drug (blood) even though he doesn't know anything about it or what it will do to him (after getting high, implied but not directly shown). The violence is quite cartoonish and though certainly intense, less upsetting than Harry Potter movies where characters we've grown to love die horrible deaths. "Be true to yourself" is the message. "Rely on your family." "Trust your instincts." "Ask for help when you are in a situation you can't handle." As I was familiar with the movie there were a few scenes I knew would bother my kid, so I gave her a heads-up to mute or look during those parts.
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written bypwi11iam2 February 3, 2013

They don't make Vampires this much fun anymore.

Today this movie would be rated PG-13. If your child owns an Xbox or a PS3 I am certain the games he ( girls maybe not) is playing are much more violent than this. Today's teen Movies ( Hunger Games, Twilight) are more violent and not as much fun as this movie.
Adult Written bywonder dove December 27, 2012

Favorite vamp movie!

Amazing film! I'm not one for vampire movies, but I finally gave this a shot a year ago and bought it on a whim because the reviews were so great - I ended up absolutely loving it!! It's so much fun to watch anytime of the year. I love the cast, music, storyline and the humor balances out the story. It does not feel like an '80's movie to me for some reason, it has just as good special effects as our modern horror movies today. It's basically about a guy who starts turning into a vampire while hanging out with the wrong crowd after moving to Santa Carla. When his younger brother finds out, he discovers two comic "vampire hunters" who help to kill the head vampire before they take over his family! Lots of violence and gore like bitings, a vicious dog attacks a woman, chasings, vampires go nuts and kill people, a family dog bites a family member...etc. Sexual content is pretty mild which includes some flirting, one off-screen sex scene with some kissing, innocent kisses by adults. The film has lots of teen peer pressure throughout. Language isn't too bad, a few sh*ts. It would be ideal for 15 years and up, too violent for younger kids!
Adult Written byTV-14-DLSV Teen Boy March 25, 2012

The Lost Boys is an Entertaining Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Fine Movie. The Lost Boys is a Just fine movie I have The Lost Boys. Even If MPAA explanation: does not include the word Sexuality The Lost Boys does contain an Implied Sex scene in the movie. This movie is Really Fun And Entertaining. I Recommend The Lost Boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent Written bybabygirl92293 February 29, 2012

the lost boys...

i thought this was a very good movie... Its not too violent but keeps things interesting.... and the frog brothers are pretty funny
Parent of a 12 year old Written bydramaqueen@hotm... August 31, 2011

love it!

great movie with the 2 Coreys awesome uh just not for young kids but if 12 and up then its okay!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byaregles March 14, 2010

it rocks
Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written bySuperParent September 2, 2009

WE LOVE THIS FILM! nothing is bad except a few violent scene and one second sex scene with no nudity! highly reccomend it!
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009