Parent reviews for The Man in the Iron Mask

Slow-moving swashbuckler is better for teens and up.

Adult Written byClaireA71 May 21, 2020

Didn’t get past the first 2 mins not suitable for kids

The opening lines of this film are about sucking on a ladies nipple. How it’s a 12 based on that alone I will never know. Just warning others.

Parent of a 4, 9, 11, and 13-year-old Written byJnpearce January 6, 2020

A little more innuendo than expected

It is a good movie with drama, action and a great storyline. However, I was not expecting so many sex scenes or sexual innuendo. The king is openly having “mistresses” and shown in bed with one. He also seduces a woman and takes her to bed. It does show more than I was comfortable with for my 13-year-old. Later in the movie, one of the musketeers is scene in a threesome rolling in the hay and he’s naked. In the end, it is discovered that the queen was having an affair that resulted in children, passed off as her husband’s own. Too many sexual themes for our household at this age.

Adult Written byflunky December 29, 2015

A missed opportunity for making a good Dumas-based movie

When the filming of this film began, there were all ingredients for making a good film based on Alexandre Dumas' novel. But in the end, they failed in the most important part: screenplay. All who have not read the original novel, may fall in perception that this film is a very good one. Usually it is OK to have minor differences in the dramatization for the screenplay, but for this film, the most important parts of the novel were changed. So, in the end, this film can not be seen faithful at all to the original novel. At least they kept the right names for the main characters, but that's almost all they have got right. For the rest of the good: acting was really good, props were done well and the atmosphere was apparently truthful. For Leonardo DiCaprio, this film did not ruin his career - thankfully he did Titanic at the earlier year. What families should know, is that the film contains some references to sex and violence.

Adult Written byWHTeacher September 25, 2013

A Teaching Tool

When discussing the French Revolution in World History II, it serves as a good Hook to grasp student's interest. This movie can also become a review on what has been taught and students must identify historical aspects taught while watching the video. Also, I believe it is imperative that teachers should pause randomly throughout the movie for meaningful discussion that can benefit student learning.
Adult Written byJEDI micah April 13, 2013

Slow-moving? Really?!

I wasn't really too hyped up to see this movie in the first place with my family, but I gave it a shot. And I'm glad I stayed to see the whole movie! DiCaprio is a great actor, along with the three musketeers. There's plenty of action with little blood, some sexual content, and a compelling story. I don't see how Common Sense thinks this is slow-moving. I think it went at an easy-to-follow pace. This is actually a good movie!

Adult Written bymmeyer November 21, 2011

good

Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

The Best 3 Musketeers Movie

This is by far the best 3 musketeers movie ever made.