All parent member reviews for The Manchurian Candidate (2004)

Adult Written byabuddy8 April 9, 2008

Disturbing, not worth the money.

I am 18 years old and went to see this movie thinking it was a political thriller. I was very wrong. The movie tells the story of Marco, a soldier who fought in Kuwait. Since the war, he has been haunted by dreams of what really happened, and is apparently on medication. The movie throws in several "twists" which seemed to be there only to make the audience jump and disturb them. The director focused on the gruesome, even showing in detail a very grotesque strangling, which should've been hinted at, or even left out completely. The characters left something to be desired, since you spent the whole movie trying to figure out who was crazy and who the bad guys were. I left this movie feeling sick, and wish I'd never spent the money.
Adult Written byJohn from Westmont November 20, 2009

Skip it.

Overall, this movie is awful. It doesn't know whether to be a movie about policial intrigue, soldiers returning from war, or medical sci fi, and it's unconvincing at all of them. The violoence is gratuitous. many actions are unexplained or unexplainable, suggested incestual desires are at least distracting if not repugnant. Not even Meryl and Denzel could make this one work.
Adult Written byfritzsky April 9, 2008