Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Meg

Lots of shark-movie clichés and violence, not many thrills.

Adult Written byAliceommy August 12, 2018
Adult Written bykjnrooye December 10, 2018

Ok

it is a ok movie and there is no sex just the guy with a shirt off no privates a lot of blood though and you see the meg a couple times some cuse words

Adult Written byYesyesyesssss August 12, 2018

The meg was great saw it with my 9 10 and 13 year old

Go see it

Adult Written byRyandruw.pdf August 12, 2018

The meg

The meg is a good shark moive with a couple of jump scares and few cruse words not much gore but its still there the story is fin and great for the whole family rainn wilson is a great comedy relief

Adult Written byDwright9 July 7, 2019

I am only 9 years old!!!!!!

Gory but awesome!!!

Adult Written byRonaldsk41 May 3, 2019

Too funny in the Worst B-Movie way :/

Well lets just say im always open minded but although watchable, the movie jumped into segments that were awkward & very B-Movie-esqe. I love Asians (all races) but in some instances the accents just seem "way out of whack silly". The discussions were awkward at times & had me feeling BADLY for the actors lol (truth). Much of it happened without build up & the FLOW was way off!!-- I enjoyed many B-Movies but a Billionaires (The Office) role was so VERY cheezy & who Ever invests Billions & is so very "clueless" & in awe about what was happening? No one thats who lol. If anyone wrote this movie was Amazing (and they did) YOU my friend are a Nut & have zero sense of how to critique :) This would mean you rate Greatness of a B-Movie using the same word for Wizard of Oz, Ten Commandments, Titanic, Star Wars, Jaws.... Where is your sense of Scale & Grading? The movies mentioned were 9-10s based on popularity, presentation & more! This movie would be about a tollerable (if bored) 3-4 at best lol & honestly Im not being mean. It just is what it is. Shark bites ship & it barely moves the ship, but little girl screams & glass is bitten but they think a Whale did it LOL? And no talk of losing preasure & glass cracking further? Someone says one fish did all this? When he already saw its the Size of a house lol. Like "No S%#t Sherlock" your shocked? And there would be no body parts, your swallowed whole! Within the ship looking out, it looked like a standard shark in a Magnifying Glass Window lol... The little Asian girl is a cutie. Some said they learned something lol, what exactly wouldnt one already know from Shark week? The famous bald actor dives into the water after the thick glass cage & the Asian female & the dialogue is crystal clear as if theyre in a room together lol. Whole Movie is just bizarre, awkward & at times well beyond ridiculous or corney! One review said it best, its nearly in-line with Shark-Nado if that floats your boat :) Ending is just as goofie dumb too lol. Enjoy.
Adult Written byLittleLune810 April 30, 2019

Pretty cheesy

My 8 year old son begged (literally) to watch this. I told him it was probably scary but that we could give it a try (he likes scary movies like The House with a Clock in its Walls and Miss Pregrines Home for Peculiar Children). I had higher hopes for the film. There were definitely some jump scare moments, and a few moments made me chuckle a bit. For the most part, though, this film is just plain cheesy. The acting is terrible, the story is ridiculous (but I assumed that going into it). I stopped watching about half way through and started reading my book. My son thought it was cool, but he was also not as impressed as he thought he would be.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bylisainsfo April 11, 2019

I Felt Bad For the Prehistoric Shark

There are a few "son of a bitch, bastard, and ass" words. There is also a scene where the woman walks in on her love interest guy who just came out of the shower with a super low towel on. You can see his pubic bone. She is embarrassed and leaves, but it's still super awkward. Predictably lots of gore and people being eaten by sharks. But the real tragedy of this movie is that the main mission is for "scientists" to kill a prehistoric shark that has been extinct for over 2 million years. What legit marine biologist would want to destroy such a magnificent extinct fish that could be studied for generations? And shame on Hollywood for perpetuating that "sharks are evil and must be wiped off the face of the earth." The premise of this movie is really disturbing and outright vulgar.

Parent of a 1 year old Written bybonnbonn1989 April 5, 2019

It's a Shark Movie

The Meg is like all the other stereotypical shark movies we've been getting lately. It depends on jump scares to really get the audience's attention. It's not a bad movie, not a great one, but not bad. If your child(ren) can handle Jaws, they can handle The Meg.

Parent of a 9 and 10 year old Written byLeaAnn January 2, 2019

Entertaining and hopefully a cautionary tale

I watched The Meg with my almost 11 year old son and we both found it entertaining. It was not near as violent or scary as I had been concerned it would be and there were no sappy love scenes (thank goodness!). What I would say as a conservationist is that I hope the idea comes across that the Meg would not have bothered anyone if he had not been disrupted by the nosy humans. My son certainly got that. My son says that he found it entertaining and not scary at all. Lots of typical great “hero guy” stuff AND very capable female characters as well! There are several shots of people getting gulped up without any violent enhancement so for more sensitive viewers, those scene shots would be scary.

Adult Written byabraracs December 22, 2018

Craved for a new shark movie.

Too much cliches, fast going movie with chunks of cringe in between.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byBretD1 December 22, 2018

Made my Christmas better

Great movie, there is some blood, but barely any swearing. It is a good movie and I recommend it. You might be scared or apprehensive about this title, but coming up from a jaws and bay watch era, you will be okay. This is like a modern day jaws and really fine for all ages in this modern day. Rock on meg!
Written byAnonymous November 25, 2018
Adult Written byboymomNatalie November 18, 2018

Good for tweens

This movie will not win any Oscars. But, my almost 13 yo really liked it and I enjoyed watching it with him. There are only a few bad words (SOB being the worst) and no sex scenes or even kissing. The sharks and marine life make up the bulk of the blood and gore, although some peoples' injuries are shown (a human arm was found in the water). People were eaten by the shark, but the only thing you could see was the shark's mouth opening and the person being swallowed into the shark's mouth. Some of the scenes could be scary for some kids. I think it would have scared my nine year old. A great "scary" movie for older kids who don't scare easily.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byMommmaP November 2, 2018

Great Movie

Great movie, especially in 3D, watched with my 11yo and he loved it! I on the other hand wasn’t keen on the jumpy bits! Wouldn’t want my 7yo to see this movie as don’t want her to be scared of going in the ocean ever again!
Adult Written bySchafhrrgh October 4, 2018

Awesome movie!!!

This is a really good movie. The violence is the same as the Jurassic park and world saga. If you don’t like shark movies, YOU’LL STILL LOVE THIS MOVIE! Good role models

Adult Written byBigboi12 September 16, 2018
The meg is not that violent and doesn’t have much swearing but some scenes aren’t suitable for young audiences. Considering it’s a 12 one scene shows a graphic depiction of whale being bitten in half by a shark and then a gets eaten with only bloody hands left. It isn’t that violent but some scenes may be unsuitable for some people. Overall enjoyable.
Adult Written bybootyslayer21 September 13, 2018

the meg shows kids that they need to wash their teeth

i like it said bootyslayer21

Adult Written byGazp71 September 9, 2018

Terrible cast

It's not the worse film you will watch this year or any year, but it's certainly no where near the best, there are some" make you jump moments " but if you're like me, that likes the whole package, ie story, characters, and effects this film ticks one box , they even stole a bit of jaws, with the kid on the beach scene, this film is a cheap take on a classic, but like I said it is what is.
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 8, 17, and 17 year old Written byParzival _12 September 7, 2018

The Meg is dumb

this is a predictable cliche was OK but bad when I saw it the second time don’t bother