Kid reviews for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones Poster Image

AMAZING!

I am a massive Lily Collins fan, so I had very high expectations when I saw this. Luckily, those expectations were met! The whole cast was amazing and the plot was great, so great that I read the books straight after (they were incredible too). There's a bit of violence here and there but it should be fine for children aged 10+.

Great Movie

Most movies won’t live up to the books they were based on, but this movie is really good! It changes the ending because there is only one movie, but the actors are good, and the important and funny details remain closely intact!

Disappointing YA Adaptation has some mild fantasy violence.

Consensus: This film is an adaptation of the wildly popular novel 'City of Bones' by Cassandra Clare. The film boasts a strong lead actress, Lily Collins, but the acting falls flat and the plot seemed contrived. As for parents seeing if this film is suitable for young children, the film does contain some mild fantasy violence, though it is all relatively bloodless and easily distinguishable from real life. Besides that there's no other iffy stuff of note.

Uhm

As always--and especially this time--the books are better. This aces the vibe of the book, and I love the casting of Jace, Simon, and Clary--as well as Luke and Jocelyn. It's cool to see it reimagined, as I can't STAND the tv show--although Isabelle and Alec are, in my opinion, perfect. This movie is cheesy as all get-out. I get second hand embarrassment when watching it with someone. I also think that the directors shoved too much into the movie; they should have spent more time developing the plot and should have made several movies. If you've read the books, then you would probably enjoy it.

Great movie!

I watch this right before I turned 11 and it was a great movie, with a great plot and great character portrayals. After watching this movie I liked it so much that I started reading the rest of the series and love them. I am really glad I watch this movie.

Really bad

It was boring and unsatisfying. Nothing like the book. The actors for the characters were poorly chosen.

Not as bad as everyone thinks

I saw this movie when I was 12, after I read all the books. I thought it was actually pretty good. The acting is okay, and Lily Collins portrayed Clary really well. I wish they had made another movie though. I thought it stayed pretty close to the book story, though the first half was a little rushed. If your kid gets scared easily, this probably isn't the movie for them. But overall, it was good.

Not very disappointing

Normally movies SUCK compared to the books but this one actually did an okay job. It was a bit more violent then the book yet the got just about everything right. Personally I hope they make another movie.