Parent reviews for The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Sweet, classic tale mixes live actors and mice puppets.

Parent Written bycfarthing08 May 8, 2018

Great story

Loved it as a child
Adult Written byheidih1 September 22, 2014

Fun for kids, a bit bland for the grown ups

Beverly Cleary's beloved tale comes to life in this short movie from the 1980s. The child is charmingly played, but other characters are a little stilted. It's a cute, childlike tale of a mouse who could make a toy motorcycle run by making motorcycle sounds.

Parents can be the judge if there child is ready for the intense scenes in the film, which are overall pretty mild. The most intense portion for my 3 year olds was when the mouse is hanging by a branch outside the inn and falls to the ground while an owl tries to catch him. I assured them the mouse was okay and they loved it.

Moments to watch for: mouse gets caught in a wastepaper basket, a laundry basket, nearly gets sucked up a vacuum cleaner tube, runs away from a cat and a dog on his motorcycle, and gets caught under a glass by an adoring lady who wants to take him to her kindergarten class, but instead tosses him out her window into the branches where he sees the owl and then falls to the ground below avoiding the owl's clutches.

Hope this helps!