Parent reviews for The Muppets' Wizard of Oz

Raucous Muppet spoof of a classic gets a wee bit edgy.

Wondering if The Muppets' Wizard of Oz is OK for your kids?

Adult Written byJade1989 February 8, 2012

Disappointing

I loved Pepe the King Prawn being Toto but didn't like the certain references made to Passions, or girls gone wild videos being the standard of the " all American girl " and when i heard Rizzo the Rat drop the "B" bomb i about lost it. I know with the times we live in some of the comedy is going to change a bit but certain things just don't belong in a Muppet's movie . You sit down to watch and think you're going to see a funny, feel good Muppet Movie and then you get hit with this .....I hope this isn't a sign of how the Muppet's will be from now on. This was not one of my happier purchases . The humor in this would have been more at home in a Family Guy Cartoon not a Muppet movie. If i wanted to see Family Guy i would pop in the DVD . It just isn't what i expected from a Muppet movie

Parent of a 6 and 9-year-old Written bysojournersong April 9, 2008

Why change the original story?

My daughter (7) and my son (4) sat down with some popcorn along with my husband and I to watch this movie. We were looking forward to a "feel good" movie because we are really fond of the Judy Garland version of OZ. Instead we got a very different version and we were really appalled when Miss Piggy shows up in tight leather biker pants as the Wicked Witch of the West and orders that they shred Kermit. Her goons popped off Kermit's head and trounced his body so violently that both of my children became quite upset. Camilla the chicken, Gonzo's love, was so sexy near the end of the movie along with the Barry White sexy clip that I was embarrassed for my children to be watching it with me. I almost turned it off completely. I am very disappointed. It was not an innocent 'G' movie!
Parent of a 5 and 10-year-old Written byAnother Dad September 29, 2019

A mess

We’re big Muppet fans and expected to be a bit disappointed. After all, a human is the star and the Muppets are supporting players. And if you go in expecting that, things will probably seem fine for the first half. But then the whole thing also loses the Wizard of Oz thread. Afterward my 5yo said he “hated it.” My 10yo said, “The Muppets are supposed to be weird, but not that kind of weird.” The main human, presumably chosen for her singing, doesn’t even sing much — another human that’s famous for singing doesn’t get to sing at all. Hard to figure out how this was fumbled so badly.
Adult Written byglasgow_carol July 1, 2016

Sexualized Dorothy

This movie is rated PG. The exact messages that we do NOT want to send our daughters. Why would the Muppets do that? Makes no sense to me. Jim Henson is probably turning over in his grave.

Parent of a 5 and 7-year-old Written bydanrice518 December 27, 2015
Adult Written byAidan S. August 7, 2015
Adult Written byjaa347 May 9, 2014

Horrible

I never write reviews on websites, but I felt the need to prevent any parent from letting their child watch this movie. My daughter, age 5, is really into Wizard of Oz, so I got this movie from the library. It is among the worst movies I've ever seen. I'm amazed that this is a Muppets movie. It is inappropriate for children. Just don't waste your time!
Parent of a 7 and 9-year-old Written bydavidmal770 April 21, 2011

Not worthy of Muppet's legacy

Can't stress what a terrible movie this is. Couldn't even make it through.