Parent reviews for The Nutty Professor (1963)

Jerry Lewis' Jekyll-Hyde spoof is dated but great.

Adult Written byadamswifey November 30, 2017

My kids were TERRIFIED!

Why on earth would CSM.org rate this movie for 8 and up???? My 7-year-old was terrified. My 9-year-old was creeped out and so was I. The first 30 minutes of the movie was funny. But all of the sudden, the movie took an unexpected turn and it was suddenly a creepy monster movie - horror flick. I feel like CSM.org played a trick on me or something. I just thought my kids and I were settling in for a classic movie. I was so unprepared for the scariness. Of course we shut it off - but it's hard to un-see the images of a man transforming into some cheesy looking monster (complete with fangs and scary music). It could've even been funny for an adult - but for a kid, it is downright the creepiest thing ever and the stuff nightmares are made of. Parents beware. Warning - this movie is a disaster for kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byCharlie711 October 29, 2017

CSM gave it four stars???

Barely held my attention or the attention of my 12-yr-old son or almost 10-ye-old daughter. It was very sexual contrary to the no sexual material mark in the general review as the entire context had to do with winning over a girl. Jerry Lewis’s character pung-pinged from being a dingbat incompetent but nice proessor to being an egomaniac, bullying jerk as Buddy Love, neither a good role model for my son or daughter plus the movie was barely funny. We hardly watch movies so considersd this a HUGE waste of precious movie time.

Adult Written byKcanen July 13, 2018

In the words of Jerry Lewis "Nasty ill-mannered, rude, discourteous"

I usually love Jerry Lewis movies, but in my opinion this movie is not for children. The Nutty Professor changes into a, " nasty, ill mannered, rude, discourteous bastard" in the words of Jerry Lewis. He does this an effort to try and make the girl fall in love with him. He bullies and harasses her. I looked on Common Sense Media before renting this movie for my family, but I should have read the reviews. I'm shocked at the CSM review and hope they takes another look at this movie and updates their review so others don't quickly go off their current 4 stars and 8+ age recommendation.

Adult Written byVillaboy42 April 24, 2020

Overrated and Hardly Laughed

I have watched many hilarious Lewis movies over the years and vaguely remember watching this on tv back in the 70s. My family have revisited several Martin and Lewis movies recently and having read rave reviews online judging this as a classic. This was so boring and not funny I cant believe it was the movie judged as one of Lewis best. My wife and I kept looking at each other during the viewing with a " this is crap " look. Honestly I think we laughed once or twice and our 12 year old did not enjoy it either although she has laughed out loud with other Lewis movies which prompted me to buy this dvd. If you find this side splitting funny please tell me the scenes because we barely got to the end of the movie without switching off the dvd player. Not funny at all!