Parent reviews for The Old Guard

The Old Guard Poster Image

Pretty Pathetic - Too many loose ends

This movie is just terrible. Every scene was so implausible and not because of the fact that they are immortal. You end up questioning every scene. For instance, if they wanted to change the world, why didn’t they assume some kind of power? Start companies, invest, or something? Research, science, technology for positive advancement? I mean they don’t know that what they do, saving lives has grandiose consequences, so…?… Just fighting for 1000’s of years? Weird. Why not try something else as well at least. Then there’s the initial fight between the 2 main characters. Why are they physically fighting at that point? There’s no reason to. The one character did not have to go with the other. She said to come with her if she wants answers. She gave her a choice. And how could people who have been around so long not have infinite backup plans and connections? I would go on, but would hate to give the movie completely away. It is just boring really. And those that say there is violence, really not as much as you would think, although certainly violent. The ‘evil’ characters are so cliché. The corporate bigwig willing to do anything, immoral or not. Finally, I don’t care who you are or how great your relationship is, after eternity together it is not going to be ALL roses. But, they sure act like it. It is just a bit over the top that they are like newlyweds and yet have been together since the crusades. If they were more like ‘The Honeymooners’, “to the moon Alice!”, that would make more sense. Skip this one. Maybe Theron just needed the $, because wow was this bad. Some language, but not overly so. Decent fighting scenes that are way too short. Nothing overly sexual either. No nudity. Just lots of self indulgent dialogue.
1 person found this helpful.

Fantastic film, amazing role models!

I loved this film from the beginning till the end. It may be the best film I have seen in many years! Beautifully scripted, action packed, and most importantly, fantastic role models, especially the amazingly strong and resourceful female lead. It is ethnically diverse too, and has positive same-sex couple representation, as well. It is nice knowing it is easily available on Netflix, too. It is however worth noting that a few scenes in this film may be upsetting for some, but most of the film isn't this way (also, I've seen so much worse in films of this type!) Anyways, to me, The Old Guard is a definite must-watch! I wish more films were like it.

1 person found this helpful.

Poor Script and Amatuerish Fight Scenes

Bad movie - the action scenes are not thought out (e.g., using swords when they have guns on them). The script has a lot of holes, implausible situations, and a lot of missing explanations. It's good to see women in strong roles but they try to hard be bad a**.

Good Film.

Not the best but not the worst. If you love films that are quite thrilling but also a good dose of fantasy then this is a decent watch. It is quite bloody and graphic in its violence so be warned. But nothing too extreme (Ie. not on a Quentin Tarantino level).

Blood blood blood

Common Sense Media is far too kind to this waste of pixels and time. It aspires to Marvel-level mythology but delivers only a monotonous two hour long spray of blood.

Interesting Premise, but lots of blood

Trigger warning: drowning scene

Action packed female led roles with a good plot. However, trigger warning: there is a pretty disturbing scene where one of the characters is shown locked in an iron coffin drowning over and over again for 500 years. That scene was really hard for me to watch and still stays with me a week later. Although a good movie, that scene alone makes me wish I hadn't watched it.
a little violent. otherwise a must watch!

Strong but violent with good morals

The Old Gaurd is an entertaining action movie with characters that make an effort to use their gifts to do good. Tha being said the doing good often means killing a lot of "bad" people. The language is sparce but strong. Mature teens 14+ could watch it.